[SOLVED] I5 9400f vs Ryzen 2600 for gaming streaming

pepitonub

Reputable
Jul 25, 2018
hey guys, im planning to upgrade from my am3+ system fx 6300 gtx 960, and i was going to buy the ryzen 1600 af for my next build and for my cousing too but seems like everyone selling it for the price of a 3600, so my question is if going for a ryzen 2600 (i cant go for the 3600)140$ or going for a i5 9400f, im not sure but i´ve seen the 9400f is better but the but the 12 threads of the 2600 helps a lot, so what do you guys recommend?

new build is for gaming (no ultra settings just for playing everything at least with 60fps+/editing/streaming purposes.

Solution
Either will do for your gaming requirements. The 9400f is better for gaming. The added threads of the 2600 will make it better for simultaneously streaming while gaming. Although it isn't a huge difference either way.

Either will be a significant upgrade to your current CPU. As either CPU will do and each has strengths which are fairly minor strengths. I'd probably opt for the Ryzen as you'll have more CPU upgrade options in the future.
Either will do for your gaming requirements. The 9400f is better for gaming. The added threads of the 2600 will make it better for simultaneously streaming while gaming. Although it isn't a huge difference either way.

Either will be a significant upgrade to your current CPU. As either CPU will do and each has strengths which are fairly minor strengths. I'd probably opt for the Ryzen as you'll have more CPU upgrade options in the future.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
9400f might see higher fps margins but it'll also see maximum usage sooner causing % lows and stutters. Games benefit smt, and of course the other stuff, multitasking.

Maybe couldn't afford r5 3600 at present but upgrade ability is possible in future if went for a 400 series board, including Zen 3.

Sep 6, 2020

hey if i get b450 with ryzen 2600 wil i be upgrade to ryzen 4000 with same motherboard?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...specifications-pricing-benchmarks-all-we-know

AMD Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 Motherboards
With a new wave of chips about to crash down on the market, the first question on enthusiast's minds is: Can I drop a Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 chip in my motherboard?

If you have a B550, X570, B450, or X470 motherboard, the answer is yes. Ryzen 4000 series processors will drop into the tried-and-true AM4 socket, and AMD will support the chips on the aforementioned chipsets. Enthusiasts with 300-series motherboards are left in the cold, though, but you're probably better served by stepping up to more modern accommodations anyway.