[SOLVED] i5 9400f with GTX 980 TI SC too much?

Feb 28, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my PC, and I have a motherboard that supports LGA 1151, as well as gen 8 and 9 (it's a gigabyte z390-ud). I currently have a 980 TI SC and am not looking to change this, but rather upgrade my CPU from a lackluster i5-4460. I saw that the i5-9400f was a "value king," and was wondering if it was over the top and would bottleneck my GPU. If it will, what's a good CPU that'll be at the same level as my 980 TI SC (limit bottlenecking of both CPU and GPU)?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should've clarified it isn't really a value king, but good cpu for its price for a LGA 1151 socket. I am NOT looking to change to AMD motherboard, although I wish I had chosen to.

Last edited:
Solution
That would be the best you can do with your current budget. Even a 2nd hand i7-8700, which would've been a good alternative, can't be found at that price.
Feb 28, 2020
HOLD UP! I have to put the brakes on this one:

Where'd did that one come from? Because here, and in other legit sites, the value kings are Ryzen 1600AF, Ryzen 2600, and Ryzen 3600.

Lol please don't come at me, but from a youtube video from 9 months ago. I know that amd cpus are value kings but I really don't want to change my motherboard, since I just got the one I have. I guess I should reword it to value king for a LGA 1151 socket.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Okey-dokey.

The problem with the 9400F is that it's already obsolete in a sense, at having only 6 cores/6 threads, just 2 more of each compared to your old cpu.
It's already thread limited in more modern titles. It wouldn't be too long before you ran into problems with it.

Feb 28, 2020
I am looking to upgrade my PC, and I have a motherboard that supports LGA 1151, as well as gen 8 and 9 (it's a gigabyte z390-ud). I currently have a 980 TI SC and am not looking to change this, but rather upgrade my CPU from a lackluster i5-4460. I saw that the i5-9400f was a "value king," and was wondering if it was over the top and would bottleneck my GPU. If it will, what's a good CPU that'll be at the same level as my 980 TI SC (limit bottlenecking of both CPU and GPU)?

Thanks in advance.
Okey-dokey.

The problem with the 9400F is that it's already obsolete in a sense, at having only 6 cores/6 threads, just 2 more of each compared to your old cpu.
It's already thread limited in more modern titles. It wouldn't be too long before you ran into problems with it.

So what would you suggest that wouldn't break my bank account (hopefully under $200) and wouldn't bottleneck the GPU? I'm ok with buying pre owned if that makes a huge difference in price.

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should've clarified it isn't really a value king, but good cpu for its price for a LGA 1151 socket. I am NOT looking to change to AMD motherboard, although I wish I had chosen to.

I have a friend who got a pre-built with an i5-9400f and 1660 Ti, and the i5 almost constantly is at 100% when gaming, bottlenecking the 1660 Ti. Having only 6 cores is really not the best. Even an i7 with 8 cores isn't great either, but the best option for the motherboard that you have.
AMD is definitely a better price-per-core option. I got a Ryzen 7 2700 for $150 and a refurbished motherboard for about $90. Not as good cores as an i5 or i7, but still okay.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Debate in 9400F selection aside, we also need to make sure mainboard selected actually supports the CPU, as there is more to it than it 'being socket 1151', it must not be 100 or 200 series, and, even some older 300 series boards might not support if out of the box without BIOS update first...

Defenestrator IX

Prominent
May 10, 2019
Debate in 9400F selection aside, we also need to make sure mainboard selected actually supports the CPU, as there is more to it than it 'being socket 1151', it must not be 100 or 200 series, and, even some older 300 series boards might not support if out of the box without BIOS update first...

Z390 motherboards support 9th gen CPUs, as far as I'm aware.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's in parentheses, but the OP states that they also have a Gigabyte Z390-UD: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-UD-rev-10/support#support-cpu
9400F is supported with F7 or later.

Last edited:

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I have a motherboard that supports LGA 1151

I currently have a 980 TI SC and am not looking to change this, but rather upgrade my CPU from a lackluster i5-4460.

Unless I read your message incorrectly, and you have a separate motherboard from the rest of your system both of these cannot be true. If you have i5 4460, then it is inside of an 1150 socket motherboard. If you have an 1151 socket motherboard, then you do not have i5 4460.

Which processor is installed in your board?