[SOLVED] i5-9600k + 1660ti bottlenecked?

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello!

My rig is performing very badly compared to other similarly equipped machines, what could be the reason?
My temperatures are very good, GPU max about 65 C under load and CPU max under load about 62 C
Most of the time my CPU is under 100% load while playing this game. I just get these massive stutters all the time, nothing is running in background that would take up system resources.
My AC:Origins benchmark looks like this:

2jbp3x5.png

While some random results for same CPU+GPU combo was this:

dxdcon.png

What could be causing this?

Solution
Malwarebytes isn't particularly resource heavy, no. It might've been running a high priority scan at the time though, hard to say.

Clearly something was happening during the first run. Otherwise, you're likely in the margin of error - different drivers, different RAM (2666MHz vs their 3000MHz) vs the benchmark.

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Sorry!
My system specs are:
MSI B360M Mortar
Core i5-9600K
Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU cooling
2x8GB 2666mhz Kingston Hyperx RAM
MSI Gaming X GTX 1660Ti
Be Quiet! pure power 11 600w PSU
Kingston 240gb SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 case
Have not tried any solutions yet, just noticed a lot of stuttering while gaming so i started searching if anybody else has similar issues with similar configuration.

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Motherboard alone is not going to cause a problem.

Of course, if you're comparing an overclocked CPU vs your own at stock, that's different.

Where are you pulling that random benchmark from? CPU clocks, memory clocks etc could play a big part.
It's a random video from youtube, sadly there are no clock speeds specified, i think it's also worth pointing out my game settings are slightly lowered aswell, as you can see from VRAM usage difference.
I hope it isn't a problem i post a link here but this is the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDfZGPV364

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unfortunately, it's hard to trust "random" videos on YT.

Your results certainly do not look 'smooth', with those CPU and GPU spikes....

You're sure CPU temps are in check? You're sitting at ~52'C at the results screen..... but you peak at 62'C?

Is this a clean OS install? No Windows Updates running in the background?

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Unfortunately, it's hard to trust "random" videos on YT.

Your results certainly do not look 'smooth', with those CPU and GPU spikes....

You're sure CPU temps are in check? You're sitting at ~52'C at the results screen..... but you peak at 62'C?

Is this a clean OS install? No Windows Updates running in the background?
Yep!
Most of the time not even reaching 62C

5lc9lc.png

It's a random video from youtube, sadly there are no clock speeds specified...
Actually, in the video's description they list their detailed system specs, including that the CPU is not overclocked. They are running somewhat faster memory, though I doubt those frame spikes would result from that. Do you happen to have any other software running in the background, like a web browser or something? Or maybe a malware scanner that is trying to scan files that the game is accessing or something?

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Actually, in the video's description they list their detailed system specs, including that the CPU is not overclocked. They are running somewhat faster memory, though I doubt those frame spikes would result from that. Do you happen to have any other software running in the background, like a web browser or something? Or maybe a malware scanner that is trying to scan files that the game is accessing or something?
This is interesting!
I disabled antivirus and this is the result.
As we can see it is much better, far fewer (if any) such lag spikes. The greyed out spikes are the previous results.
I'm using malwarebytes, is it known for being very resource hungry?

2zziam1.png

EDIT: I tried another run with malwarebytes enabled again and this is the result. Fairly similar to the previous one, so the lag spikes were caused just in the first run? Weird...

91b7kx.png

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Malwarebytes isn't particularly resource heavy, no. It might've been running a high priority scan at the time though, hard to say.

Clearly something was happening during the first run. Otherwise, you're likely in the margin of error - different drivers, different RAM (2666MHz vs their 3000MHz) vs the benchmark.

Solution