I just did OC of my cpu i5 9600k.
I set 4,9ghz and 1,22V.
Prime 95 small fft is going ok, with temps ~70C
Is this voltage ok?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quite conservative really.

Anything up to 1.35 volts and up to 80C is more or less safe for daily use. The CPU can really go up to around 100C and still be fine, but just not wise to push it that far. Looks like you can probably get it to around 5.1Ghz or so.

But if you are happy with the frequency and noise level, then it is fine.

sialal

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
I understand.
I still have a question.
On the previous processor, it was also i5 9600k, temperatures were a lot lower. When I set 5ghz and voltage of 1.3V, there were 78 degrees. Now, with such settings, temperatures reach up to 90 degrees.
Is it a matter of paste between the core and the processor cap?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure, every CPU is a little different.

I can't recall if the 9600k is soldered or not, evidence online says yes. I know the 9700k and 9900k are. Bit of a mixed bag these new soldered CPUs. While solder is better than paste, they also increased the thickness of the CPU itself to make it work properly and effectively achieved the same results as previous models. (Doesn't help that they upped the frequency and core count on the big ones, so they are known to run rather warm)

Could just be your mounting pressure, or a less than flat IHS. (Lapping is back in fashion for hard core overclockers) A lot of the IHS are quite convex and will spin easily on a flat surface. Also not all coolers are perfectly flat. So in your last configuration you might have lucked out and had two parts that interfaced well, or the CPU cores were better quality, etc.

I certainly had an overly hot core that delidding helped a lot with. But that was simple thermal compound that I replaced with new thermal compound. The real help there is reducing the distance between the IHS and the CPU die so there is less thermal interface material.