[SOLVED] i5-9600k 5.3GHz

Solution
Sean O’Hare,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

What is your ambient (room) temperature?

The international standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C or 72°F. All computer temperatures increase and decrease with ambient temperature.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are...
Feb 17, 2020
So... after running a bunch of stress tests, I try to run Cinebench and BSOD, so I’ve down clocked it to 5.2 at 1.394 V it seems to be incredibly stable, Cinebench R20 score 1294, AIDA64 cpu stress 62 degrees, FPU at 73 so I think I’ve found the stability

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Sean O’Hare,

The international standard for "normal" room temperature is 22°C or 72°F. All computer temperatures increase and decrease with ambient temperature.

PdancCI.jpg

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Ydre0YW.jpg

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload.

As you can see from the scale ...

CineBench R20 is about 100% workload.
FurMark CPU Burner is about 85% workload.
AIDA64 individual CPU test is about 70% workload.

These differences in workloads account for the differences in Core temperatures you monitored, where FurMark CPU Burner max'd out at about 81°C and 117 Watts.

Keep in mind that AIDA64 has 4 CPU related stress test selections (CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory) which have 15 possible combinations that yield 15 different workload conditions and Core temperatures.

At the top of our Forums are "Stickies" which are information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. At the top of our CPUs Forum is a Sticky you might want to read: Intel Temperature Guide.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Reactions: Sean O’Hare
Solution
Feb 17, 2020
Sean O’Hare,

PdancCI.jpg

“Stress” tests vary widely and can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Ydre0YW.jpg

Although these tests range from 70% to 130% TDP workload, Windows Task Manager interprets every test as 100% CPU Utilization, which is processor resource activity, not actual workload. Core temperatures respond directly to Power consumption (Watts), which is driven by workload.

As you can see from the scale ...

CineBench R20 is about 100% workload.
FurMark CPU Burner is about 85% workload.
AIDA64 individual CPU test is about 70% workload.

These differences in workloads account for the differences in Core temperatures you monitored, where FurMark CPU Burner max'd out at about 81°C and 117 Watts.

Keep in mind that AIDA64 has 4 CPU related stress test selections (CPU, FPU, Cache, Memory) which have 15 possible combinations that yield 15 different workload conditions and Core temperatures.

At the top of our Forums are "Stickies" which are information resources that are permanently "stuck" in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. At the top of our CPUs Forum is a Sticky you might want to read: Intel Temperature Guide.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:
Hello! And I did a FPU test at 5.3 and BSOD straight away, so I down clocked it to 5.2, and re did the FPU test and it maxed out at 72 degrees, my room temperature is around 18/19 degrees, and I tried to put as much stress as I could on it but the highest it went was 75 degrees and no crashes and is holding stable after I throw anything at it, I think it throttles a bit at 5.2 but last night I managed to get a Cinebench score of over 3000 but unfortunately I didn’t save the settings, so I’m going to try and play around in the BIOS and see what I can do, any tips would be great!
Thank you for that guide! It’s really helpful!

Hello! And I did a FPU test at 5.3 and BSOD straight away, so I down clocked it to 5.2, and re did the FPU test and it maxed out at 72 degrees, my room temperature is around 18/19 degrees, and I tried to put as much stress as I could on it but the highest it went was 75 degrees and no crashes and is holding stable after I throw anything at it, I think it throttles a bit at 5.2 but last night I managed to get a Cinebench score of over 3000 but unfortunately I didn’t save the settings, so I’m going to try and play around in the BIOS and see what I can do, any tips would be great!
Thank you for that guide! It’s really helpful!
will it run games at 5.2?

Hello,
I currently have my CPU clocked at 5.3 GHz all cores, and I was just wondering is 81 degrees a good stable temperature? I’ve had furmark running for around 20 minutes now and the temps have not gone passed 81

View: https://imgur.com/a/cOQ6yOh

That should be the image of HWMonitor during the stress test
What motherboard do you have? If it's a Gigabyte, do you mind posting what you changed to achieve your current overclock of the i5-9600k?

TRENDING THREADS