i5 9600k and gtx 1070 ti bottlenecking?

Nov 8, 2018
how big or small of a bottleneck will there be between the 2, and how noticeable will it be to my performance? (if its big)

Nov 8, 2018

AA and AAA titles. 1080p with 144hz. high settings

InvalidError

Titan

Any component reaching 100% utilization is the very definition of bottlenecking. In an ideal world, you wouldn't want to reach 100% at any time for a given frame rate target since that means having to skip frames. That much CPU/GPU power isn't economically viable for most people or even achievable at any cost with current technology in some cases.

There almost always is a bottleneck. What really matters is whether that bottleneck will occur beyond the desired frame rate for a given title, resolution and detail settings.

Are you stating graphics cards are not supposed to run at full load? I know plenty about the term bottleneck and I don't look at it in a negative sense. I'd much rather have my graphics card be a bottleneck than my cpu. If my cpu where the bottleneck then I wouldn't be fully utilizing my 2080ti which means wasted performance as well as money. I can then get the same graphical results with a lower model card with unused performance left on the table.

InvalidError

Titan

If your goal is stable frame rates (ex.: matching vsync) instead of pointlessly high frame rates, yes, since hitting 100% GPU usage before reaching vsync means your GPU is too slow and you get frame rate dips which can be annoying.

I'd rather have some spare GPU-power and CPU-power than put up with noticeable FPS dips for either reason.