Question i5-9600k and how to overclock

tjwine22

Commendable
Jul 15, 2017
as the title says, i would like to overclock my i5-9600k, thing is ive never done it since ive heard it can hurt my CPU which ive come to realize thats not true, any tips/how to's would be nice since ive never done it, thank you!

CPU: i5-9600k
MOBO: z390 UD
GPU: gtx 970 turbo
Ram 4 x 8GB DDR4 3200MHZ
PSU: EVGA 70+ gold 750w

Lutfij

Titan
Yes, overclocking does induce damage to the CPU and it's surrounding components like the motherboard and the PSU as well, if you don't know what you're doing. The heat dump from your overclocks, if left unchecked can also cause thermal throttling or worse, degradation of the CPU and the motherboard's VRM.

That being said, you might want to look through this guide courtesy of Gigabyte.

Reactions: Expertswritebrad

tjwine22

Commendable
Jul 15, 2017
My rig can support though with the components shown, as long as i dont mess up, i dont intend to see how far my CPU can go but just give it a little boost

Dec 11, 2019
Easy small boosts can be done simply even with XTU. Bumping the turbo boost for all cores to 4.6ghz is about a 7percent overclock. You can also offset the vcore by like -.05 to reduce voltage, even more of you go through slowly and test stability. I think just a turbo multiplier to 46 all cores the i5 was only demanding 1.29 volts. Well within safe margins. I cant remember exactly, but you will need to monitor it and temperatures to make sure all stays in safe ranges.