[SOLVED] i5 9600k cooler question

ImRenix

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Hello there. After doing a bit of digging all about AIO's against air coolers, honestly at this stage I am not even sure what to pick anymore.

I bought a pre-built computer, known as "Omen DT875-1932NR". It came with an AIO, which only has 1 fan. (AIO not mentioned, idk why. OMEN by HP Obelisk-Desktop PC - 875-1932NG sorry its in German)

2 weeks ago I sent in the computer for repairs, graphics card gave out so they replaced it. During shipping, the case got completely wrecked so I changed it to something with more air flow. ( Cooler Master MasterBox TD500 Mesh - ARGB-PC again, sorry for German)

So this case has 3 fans up front, and that's it. I have a blower reference RTX 2080 which tends to get quite hot as well, 80 C is nothing unusual on stock fan curve. For a few days now I had the obsession to move the radiator and the fan to the rear of the case, not on top as it is mounted at the moment, so that the air flows better through the case. Not long ago, I remembered that about 3 years ago when I did my first ever upgrade on my old rig, I accidentally got 2 coolers of the same, never bothered returning them. One Hyper 212Evo and another Hyper 212x.

Now, I can't decide whenever to go back to one of the Hyper's or to keep this AIO. The AIO is not all that bad, though as said. If I want to move it to the position I early talked about, I need to switch the current fan because the wire is too short to make that a possible reality. And if that happens that I change the fan, I was also looking at something, maybe, RGB? Just to add some more aesthetic to the build overall. If it were that I went the Hyper route, I would also go for RGB fans, but that in the distant future.

After I did some digging, I found out that air coolers are p much better than AIO's and, that AIO's just add to the esthetic. I am mostly a performance guy myself but I would like some RGB if it's an available option.

Thank you, let me know your thoughts.

Solution
How big is the AIO in your prebuilt? A 120mm variant? You could slap two identical high static pressure fans on it to help improve the thermals on the AIO but if it's a single 120mm radiator design then you will need more surface area, like a 240mm at the very least.

Depending on your ambient room temps and the load scenario's, air cooling can be a better idea. If you're a performance oriented person, you should look at either. If you're into aesthetics, while performance isn't compromised then it's watercooling. For the latter, if cost isn't a factor, then custom watercooling, if cost is a concern, then AIO.

Lutfij

Titan
How big is the AIO in your prebuilt? A 120mm variant? You could slap two identical high static pressure fans on it to help improve the thermals on the AIO but if it's a single 120mm radiator design then you will need more surface area, like a 240mm at the very least.

Depending on your ambient room temps and the load scenario's, air cooling can be a better idea. If you're a performance oriented person, you should look at either. If you're into aesthetics, while performance isn't compromised then it's watercooling. For the latter, if cost isn't a factor, then custom watercooling, if cost is a concern, then AIO.

Solution

ImRenix

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Yes, it is a 120mm variant that I got mounted on the radiator. Sadly I can't tell you a brand name because it just has 'OMEN' written over it.

I honestly wanted to go air cooling as I see it better than water cooling. This is my first ever rig that is water cooled and personally, it is meh.
As said, I upgraded from that case that had no airflow to this one which has 3 fans upfront. I have a blower style card so I quite have to run my AIO fan as exhaust.
I was thinking of changing my AIO fan to something high static pressure with RGB, or go to air cooling, as mentioned I have a hyper 212 since a few years ago,
so I was thinking to change the AIO to that if I can't get a good flashy fan.

At the moment i found this fan, let me know of your thoughts. ( Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo ARGB - Dual Ring: Amazon.de: Computers & Accessories again, sorry for German)

My ambient room temps usually sit p high, as I don't like the cold all that much. I dare to say 27-30 c, and in summer they surely hit 30 something. I mostly use my PC for gaming, rarely video editing.
It's not that cost is a huge concern, though funds aren't exactly unlimited, and custom loop I wouldn't dare to do to risk leaks and maintenance.

For me the best of both words, as I already have an AIO, it would be to change the actual fan on it with a quality rgb one. If not, I will as said go hyper 212 and slap 2 black fans with a splitter to cpu_fan.

Thanks for reading!

ImRenix

Reputable
Jan 20, 2017
Actually, decided to stop being a cheaphead, and now I am going to get this fan, slap it on my AIO and keep the computer as is. Thank you for your time anyways.

NF-F12 PPC 3000 PWM: Amazon.de: Computers & Accessories

And with that, I will move the current fan that I have on the AIO put to the back of the case as an exhaust. I will get this Noctua fan and a splitter, so that I can connect the fan hub of the 3 front fans, then add the rear exhaust one as well (mainboard is also from Omen, they only have 1 sys_fan because the main case had just 1 fan, 80mm rear exhaust).

Hopefully won't run into any problems doing that! Thanks once again.

Last edited: