Question i5-9600k + Corsair H100i v2

• Thread starter Deleted member 2316159
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2316159

Hi! I have an i5-9600k cooled with a Corsair H100i v2. I didn't do any OC yet but i have a question about its temps. The i5 idles at 24-27 degrees C. When i do a stress test (Prime 95 v26.6 Small FFTs) it reaches 58 degrees C and on AIDA64 (CPU test only) it reaches 45 C. Am i ok to do some OC? Are these temps good? Thanks!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. All good. Tons of OC room. Only the p95 small fft will be of any use for temps, just make sure it's version 26.6 small fft, or disable the AVX usage on newer versions. That'll give a reliable 100% gaming type temp. Of course games shouldn't get that high, that's just a baseline max.

For stability use asus RealBench

D

Deleted member 2316159

Yep. All good. Tons of OC room. Only the p95 small fft will be of any use for temps, just make sure it's version 26.6 small fft, or disable the AVX usage on newer versions. That'll give a reliable 100% gaming type temp. Of course games shouldn't get that high, that's just a baseline max.

For stability use asus RealBench
I used Prime95 v26.6. In games 51 degrees tops. Are idle temps ok? I had a 6600k and it idled at 20 C, this one idles at 25. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps are useless except as an indicator of airflow. It's impossible to cool an object to below ambient temps by mechanical means, and cpu coolers are mechanical. Not chemical like LN2 or peltier. Ambient to a cooler is the air inside the case, unless the aio is mounted as intake, which uses outside air. So figure case temps usually run about 6-12°C higher than outside air temps and a few °C above that will be the absolute best your cooler can do. So if outside ambient is low 20's, you'd expect cpu temps to average @ 32-35°C. If idle goes quite far beyond that 10°C or so, your airflow is insufficient, which raises case temps and lowers cooler Delta range for cooling.

D

Deleted member 2316159

Idle temps are useless except as an indicator of airflow. It's impossible to cool an object to below ambient temps by mechanical means, and cpu coolers are mechanical. Not chemical like LN2 or peltier. Ambient to a cooler is the air inside the case, unless the aio is mounted as intake, which uses outside air. So figure case temps usually run about 6-12°C higher than outside air temps and a few °C above that will be the absolute best your cooler can do. So if outside ambient is low 20's, you'd expect cpu temps to average @ 32-35°C. If idle goes quite far beyond that 10°C or so, your airflow is insufficient, which raises case temps and lowers cooler Delta range for cooling.
Oh, thanks for your detailed explanation. Then i'm ok with idle and load temps. Can i go (in a near future) for an i9-9900k with the H100i v2 or is insufficient? Thanks again!

D

Deleted member 2316159

Yep, it's sufficient. Barely. The 9900k is a monstrous cpu when it comes to heat. Does not have the ability to stay cool with a budget 140w cooler. The H100i v2 is a 200w+ cooler, makes a world of difference. It'll still run warm, but it's manageable.
I am only a casual gamer, but i like to play games smoothly. I have a 1070 ti paired with this CPU. Hoy much time do you think i'll be able to play games with this config? Will Intel 10nm be good at all. Or should i (in the future) go with AMD?
PES 2019, maximum 47 degrees C. FIFA 19, 32 C (100% CPU usage in the menu at 52C!!!), DiRT Rally 2.0 same as FIFA while gaming (menu, 49 degrees C). Why games menus use so much CPU?
57 degrees C in RealBench Stress Test. Is it good, very good, regular?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2316159

Yep, it's sufficient. Barely. The 9900k is a monstrous cpu when it comes to heat. Does not have the ability to stay cool with a budget 140w cooler. The H100i v2 is a 200w+ cooler, makes a world of difference. It'll still run warm, but it's manageable.
You there? Thanks!