[SOLVED] i5 9600k not all cores being used fully

Oct 7, 2020
I recently bought a i5 9600k and noticed when gaming 5/6 cores always are at 90-100% but one core is always at 20-50%. Is something wrong or am I worrying to much into it. Also what boost clocks does the i5 9600k have as mine is always at 4.3ghz. Is that normal or can it go further?

Solution
It is happening for every game though. Warzone, Marvel Avengers and some others all do the same thing
It does run at 100% when I put cinebench r20 on tho
Again, games may not have enough threads on average to saturate the CPU. Games are a complicated web of logic with interrelated steps that happens in-order. An application like Cinebench can have enough threads on average to saturate the CPU, simply because of the problem it's throwing at the CPU: figure out the color of a pixel for some image based on a set of parameters that's already there.

I wouldn't worry about not having the CPU at 100%. If you really want the CPU at 100%, you can always throw something in the background that'll happily gobble up the remaining...
It depends on the game and how it creates and manages its threads. Not all games have enough threads to saturate modern processors.

Regarding boost clock, the advertised frequency you see on the box is if 1 or 2 cores are busy with something to do. The more cores that become busy, the lower the boost frequency becomes.

Reactions: Eric Baker
Oct 7, 2020
It depends on the game and how it creates and manages its threads. Not all games have enough threads to saturate modern processors.

Regarding boost clock, the advertised frequency you see on the box is if 1 or 2 cores are busy with something to do. The more cores that become busy, the lower the boost frequency becomes.
It is happening for every game though. Warzone, Marvel Avengers and some others all do the same thing

It does run at 100% when I put cinebench r20 on tho
Again, games may not have enough threads on average to saturate the CPU. Games are a complicated web of logic with interrelated steps that happens in-order. An application like Cinebench can have enough threads on average to saturate the CPU, simply because of the problem it's throwing at the CPU: figure out the color of a pixel for some image based on a set of parameters that's already there.

I wouldn't worry about not having the CPU at 100%. If you really want the CPU at 100%, you can always throw something in the background that'll happily gobble up the remaining threads.

Solution