Question I5 9600k oc cooler

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
I wanna oc an i5 9600k as close to 5 ghz as possible and I'm looking for the best cooler for it, as an air cooler i found the best one to fit in my budget would be the Dark Rock Pro 4, but I was thinking maybe I could find a better liquid one at that price range or should I go with it?

Also how big is the difference between the DR Pro 4 and the DR 4?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Honestly, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is as good as or better than most AIO coolers. Definitely better than most 120mm rads and probably better than or as good as some 240mm rads. It shouldn't be a problem for overclocking. The difference between the Dark Rock Pro 4 and the Dark Rock 4 are temps and noise. The Dark Rock Pro 4 has a higher cooling ability due to the surface area of the fins so the fans do not have to spin as fast to get the same amount of cooling. In essence, the Dark Rock Pro 4 will be much quieter, and probably cooler by at least 2 - 4C depending on how fast the fans are spinning. Both are adequate for your use case, its up to you which one to go with.

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
Honestly, the Dark Rock Pro 4 is as good as or better than most AIO coolers. Definitely better than most 120mm rads and probably better than or as good as some 240mm rads. It shouldn't be a problem for overclocking. The difference between the Dark Rock Pro 4 and the Dark Rock 4 are temps and noise. The Dark Rock Pro 4 has a higher cooling ability due to the surface area of the fins so the fans do not have to spin as fast to get the same amount of cooling. In essence, the Dark Rock Pro 4 will be much quieter, and probably cooler by at least 2 - 4C depending on how fast the fans are spinning. Both are adequate for your use case, its up to you which one to go with.
Thanks for the quick reply, but still, I'm thinking of buying a cheaper AIO so I can also invest some money in othet pc parts

What do you think of the ID-Cooling Frostflow+ 280? Could I still oc the 9600k over the stock 4.6 ghz turbo boost? And would it be worth for the 20$ it costs less than the Pro 4?

Also would it fit in a DeepCool Kendomen TI case?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019

Corgoi

Great
Apr 12, 2019
T
The ID-Cooling Frostflow+ should be good, but you can only fit up to a 240mm rad on top according to deepcools' website and the one you suggested is 280mm. If you wanna go the watercooling route, I suggest a Corsair H100i, a EVGA CLC 240, or even an NZXT Kraken x52. You probably can get away with using a 120mm rad and oc it over 4.6, if you wanna go that route I suggest either the Corsair H60, EVGA CLC 120, the NZXT Kraken M22, or the Deepcool Captian 120 EX.
Thanks but the point was getting a water cooler at a bit cheaper price but close performance to the pro4. I guess the 240mm variant Frostow+ would be a good choice then?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
T
Thanks but the point was getting a water cooler at a bit cheaper price but close performance to the pro4. I guess the 240mm variant Frostow+ would be a good choice then?
No problem, I guess I went a little too over-the-top with what I picked out lol. The 240mm variant should work nicely, and you probably can get away with any of the 120mm AIOs I suggested above as well.

Reactions: Corgoi