[SOLVED] i5 9600k or Ryzen 5 3600??

Atyen

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
I have an i3 4160, B85M motherboard, 8 GB RAM and GTX 1050 Ti.
I want to upgrade to either an i5 9600K or Ryzen 5 3600. I use my PC for ocassional gaming, photo and video editing, programming, and general browsing. Which CPU would be better, and if I go with the Ryzen CPU, would I need an X570 motherboard or a B450 would be fine? Also, would either of the CPUs bottleneck my graphics card, GTX 1050 Ti? If yes, then to what extent? I usually play GTA V, Far Cry, Tomb Raider.

Solution
Hey Atyen,

They'll both be very good considering the kinda workload you expect to put on them. I would weigh towards the Ryzen 3600 chip & board. Reasons?
  • More threads - I'm a programmer by trade and the ability to run all unit tests, a web service, client and tooling at the same time without slowdown is amazing. Recently swapped from 2500k to 3700x and i'm saving minutes on the hour waiting for tests to run in our TDD workflow.
  • Upgradability - AMD has committed to keeping the same socket till at least 2020, this means you can most likely put the next generation Ryzen chip into the same motherboard - neatly saving you £100-200.
  • Cheaper - you can usually find a 3600 for a bit less than a 9600k
  • It ain't an Intel chip -...

Moza805

Honorable
Aug 17, 2014
Hey Atyen,

They'll both be very good considering the kinda workload you expect to put on them. I would weigh towards the Ryzen 3600 chip & board. Reasons?
  • More threads - I'm a programmer by trade and the ability to run all unit tests, a web service, client and tooling at the same time without slowdown is amazing. Recently swapped from 2500k to 3700x and i'm saving minutes on the hour waiting for tests to run in our TDD workflow.
  • Upgradability - AMD has committed to keeping the same socket till at least 2020, this means you can most likely put the next generation Ryzen chip into the same motherboard - neatly saving you £100-200.
  • It ain't an Intel chip - this is just personal grudge but I feel like they're undeserving of our money right now - they slowed development when AMD fell apart, raised prices because there wasn't any competition and then there's all the security issues that were uncovered over the last few years.
Also, in regards to motherboard, B450 would be fine but you may also consider a previous gen board (X470, B350 etc) to save a bit of money - be sure to get one with updated BIOS to support the newer chips.

I would imagine that they're both a pretty good match for your graphics card too - there is at least one published build on pcpartpicker - https://pcpartpicker.com/b/j3pG3C

Hope this helps.

Solution

Atyen

Honorable
Apr 5, 2015
Hey Atyen,

• It ain't an Intel chip - this is just personal grudge but I feel like they're undeserving of our money right now - they slowed development when AMD fell apart, raised prices because there wasn't any competition and then there's all the security issues that were uncovered over the last few years.
Also, in regards to motherboard, B450 would be fine but you may also consider a previous gen board (X470, B350 etc) to save a bit of money - be sure to get one with updated BIOS to support the newer chips.

I would imagine that they're both a pretty good match for your graphics card too - there is at least one published build on pcpartpicker - https://pcpartpicker.com/b/j3pG3C

Hope this helps.
Thank You for the info! I'm going with the 3600.

Reactions: Moza805
Feb 7, 2020
Hey Atyen,

Hope this helps.

Hey Moza,

I am looking for a high core count CPU and I am interested in the Ryzen 3990X but I wasn't sure if TDD works well on AMD. Especially considering that come of Intel's MKL works poorly on Ryzen. Can you provide me some input on whether TDD is as good on Ryzen as it is on Intel? Thank you.