Question i5-9600k or Ryzen 5 3600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2020
Hey guys so i currently have an i5-8400 and i just dont think its gonna cut it much longer for what i want to play so im gonna upgrade but stuck as i want to see a decent performance upgrade so i am looking into the i5-9600k and the ryzen 5 3600 i looked at benchmarks and looked like the i5 was better but in terms for gaming but every piece of hardware is different depending on what you pair it with and the ryzen i have seen is what a lot of people are going for now but in order for me to do so that would require me to get a new mobo as mine only supports 1151 and i would have to get a new ram set because i believe you want 16gb ddr4 at what 3200mhz to get the most out of the ryzen i currently have 2666 mhz 16gb which i should probably change out no matter what i get my guess was probably the ryzen has more threads and have been told it would be a good future proof path but just wanted some opinions. Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Hey guys so i currently have an i5-8400 and i just dont think its gonna cut it much longer for what i want to play so im gonna upgrade but stuck as i want to see a decent performance upgrade so i am looking into the i5-9600k and the ryzen 5 3600 i looked at benchmarks and looked like the i5 was better but in terms for gaming but every piece of hardware is different depending on what you pair it with and the ryzen i have seen is what a lot of people are going for now but in order for me to do so that would require me to get a new mobo as mine only supports 1151 and i would have to get a new ram set because i believe you want 16gb ddr4 at what 3200mhz to get the most out of the ryzen i currently have 2666 mhz 16gb which i should probably change out no matter what i get but just need an opinion
Stock 9600k vs stock 3600 the gaming performance between them is a wash. Rendering, encoding, etc... is almost always faster on then 3600 due to being 6c/12t instead of 6c/6t of the 9600k. You could argue that for long term investment, the 3600 is the better buy due to more threads and games becoming more multi-threaded.

Jan 22, 2020
Stock 9600k vs stock 3600 the gaming performance between them is a wash. Rendering, encoding, etc... is almost always faster on then 3600 due to being 6c/12t instead of 6c/6t of the 9600k. You could argue that for long term investment, the 3600 is the better buy due to more threads and games becoming more multi-threaded.
i definitely understand that so the 3600 performance and long term? i kinda figured so but wanted to make sure didnt want to buy almost a whole new pc and that not have been the move lol. Thanks!

Jan 22, 2020
The 3600 is the way I would go. Plus if you ever decide to stream and play at the same time, the extra threads will help out a lot.
Thats another thing i heard as well with my current cpu i do single pc stream but can only stream at 720p60 with little to no performance hit the stream looks decent for what it is but heard the 3600 does really well!

Reactions: hakimul.islam
Just my opinion, but unless you are looking at the i9 9900k, I wouldn't even bother with Intel period. Their i5's are just 6 cores, no hyperthreading, i7's are now 8 cores no hyperthreading if memory serves. I think in the long run, the AMD cpus with hyperthreading will outlast them.

Not only that, but if you get on the AM4 platform, the Ryzen 4000 series coming later in the year should theoretically be AM4. Not sure about the generation after. But you will potentially have a new generation of cpus compatible with your board via a bios update. So if in a year you are unhappy with the performance, then you can upgrade.

With a bit of overclocking the 3600 should be quick. I think the 3600x basically equals an i7 8700k. So that gives an idea. If it was my money, I'd consider that way.

Reactions: RoguesHyper

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
Hey guys so i currently have an i5-8400 and i just dont think its gonna cut it much longer for what i want to play so im gonna upgrade but stuck as i want to see a decent performance upgrade so i am looking into the i5-9600k and the ryzen 5 3600 i looked at benchmarks and looked like the i5 was better but in terms for gaming but every piece of hardware is different depending on what you pair it with and the ryzen i have seen is what a lot of people are going for now but in order for me to do so that would require me to get a new mobo as mine only supports 1151 and i would have to get a new ram set because i believe you want 16gb ddr4 at what 3200mhz to get the most out of the ryzen i currently have 2666 mhz 16gb which i should probably change out no matter what i get my guess was probably the ryzen has more threads and have been told it would be a good future proof path but just wanted some opinions. Thanks guys!!
No need to upgrade rams for only bus speed 2666mhz to 3200mhz as both are DDR4. That won't improve a lot, I mean you won't get a lot value for the amount you're going to pay for high bus rams. Either stay at 16Gb or go for 16Gb+, don't go for high bus. thats trash idea(IMO), because high bus vs low bus same DDR4 Ram= (2-5% performance increase, 5% is going to happen only if you go for highest bus gaming ram available in the matket and pair them with best OC enabled mobos and processors and thats going to give you worst value for money. upgrading to whole new setup means a big budget is needed ,so I would suggest no)

Jan 22, 2020
Just my opinion, but unless you are looking at the i9 9900k, I wouldn't even bother with Intel period. Their i5's are just 6 cores, no hyperthreading, i7's are now 8 cores no hyperthreading if memory serves. I think in the long run, the AMD cpus with hyperthreading will outlast them.

Not only that, but if you get on the AM4 platform, the Ryzen 4000 series coming later in the year should theoretically be AM4. Not sure about the generation after. But you will potentially have a new generation of cpus compatible with your board via a bios update. So if in a year you are unhappy with the performance, then you can upgrade.

With a bit of overclocking the 3600 should be quick. I think the 3600x basically equals an i7 8700k. So that gives an idea. If it was my money, I'd consider that way.
i figured so no offense to any intel fans on the thread i have had two intel cpus and one amd cpu and i am just not a fan of intel at least right now and an i9-9900k is just out of my budget! the only reason i considered it was to save the hassle of replacing the motherboard IF i was gonna see any performance anyway which changing mobo sounds like would be worth doing anyways. I will be doing the upgrade in a few weeks...two questions is it best to go ahead and do the upgrade as we may not know when the next line of cpus will be released? I currently have the msi b360m bazooka mobo 1151 socket and i believe the amd version or the one amazon recommends is the B450 tomahawk max 2nd and 3rd gen am4? thanks!

Jan 22, 2020
No need to upgrade rams for only bus speed 2666mhz to 3200mhz as both are DDR4. That won't improve a lot, I mean you won't get a lot value for the amount you're going to pay for high bus rams. Either stay at 16Gb or go for 16Gb+, don't go for high bus. thats trash idea(IMO), because high bus vs low bus same DDR4 Ram= (2-5% performance increase, 5% is going to happen only if you go for highest bus gaming ram available in the matket and pair them with best OC enabled mobos and processors and thats going to give you worst value for money. upgrading to whole new setup means a big budget is needed ,so I would suggest no)
hmmmm? sorry little confused i have watched reviews and pc builds on the cpu and said to get best performance our use is to use 3200mhz in that case there would only be that 2-5% increase and would be if im OC? Sorry i have been a pc gamer for about 6 years and to be honest some may make fun of me but i have never overclocked i have looked into it and i know quite a lot about specs, parts, hardware, branding in my case i was getting no info on the two cpus specifically 9600k which is why i started the thread but do know quite a lot about what you can pair part wise im currently going to school for IT but OC,voltage, fan curves, cpu gpu clock speads etc... never clicked with me. regardless i should keep what i have?

https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...vs-3200mhz-vs-2666mhz-best-ram-for-ryzen-3000

That may give more information. I think the Tomahawk Max is what guys on here are saying is a board that's known to support ryzen 3000 out of the box. I cannot speak that as I'm running a 1700x on an ASRock AB350 Pro 4 board myself. However, I do know that according to their support page, if I were to update my bios, I can support the 3000 series. I'm holding out I think for 4000 series before I upgrade at this point. But the link above shows differences between the 2666 vs 3200mhz ram and even 3200 mhz.

So if you want to change ram, I would say feel free, but I wouldn't feel like I'd have to be in a hurry either. But if you put things together and you think it's good, roll with it. You'd leave a little performance on the table, but not like a lot. But ram prices are cheap. So if you could sell your old parts, pick up another kit.

Jan 22, 2020
https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/s...vs-3200mhz-vs-2666mhz-best-ram-for-ryzen-3000

That may give more information. I think the Tomahawk Max is what guys on here are saying is a board that's known to support ryzen 3000 out of the box. I cannot speak that as I'm running a 1700x on an ASRock AB350 Pro 4 board myself. However, I do know that according to their support page, if I were to update my bios, I can support the 3000 series. I'm holding out I think for 4000 series before I upgrade at this point. But the link above shows differences between the 2666 vs 3200mhz ram and even 3200 mhz.

So if you want to change ram, I would say feel free, but I wouldn't feel like I'd have to be in a hurry either. But if you put things together and you think it's good, roll with it. You'd leave a little performance on the table, but not like a lot. But ram prices are cheap. So if you could sell your old parts, pick up another kit.
ahhh i gotcha ill continue to look and see if there is anything better just to make sure and yeah im still looking into it because if possible i would like to set ram aside for the moment and get another psu i currently have a 550 80+ bronze its done good for 2 and a half years paired with an Rx 580 8gb no problems there but i wanna upgrade to a modular or simi modular 650 80+gold just to be save not really push my luck lol or if you have any other options psu wise im open minded thanks for the info

ahhh i gotcha ill continue to look and see if there is anything better just to make sure and yeah im still looking into it because if possible i would like to set ram aside for the moment and get another psu i currently have a 550 80+ bronze its done good for 2 and a half years paired with an Rx 580 8gb no problems there but i wanna upgrade to a modular or simi modular 650 80+gold just to be save not really push my luck lol or if you have any other options psu wise im open minded thanks for the info
What is your budget on a new PSU?

Jan 22, 2020
In that case, yes get the power supply first off. You're only talking a few % points performance wise. Focus on the CPU/board and power supply first.

I would suggest however, knowing your running an rx 580, have you considered a power supply and a new gpu?
Yes I’m gonna get the board psu and cpu and the soon after probably like a week or two when I get paid ram and gpu I’m thinking either the 5700 or 2060 I think 5700 though would be the best bet?

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
oops, you are right, 3200mhz rams are way better. But earlier, ram bus didn't matter much. now they does, Performance drops a lot if Ram bus is below 3000mhz . The 'CL' or timing of Rams also matter. most available ones are the "CL16" ones but as johnsoner13 said, Rams with Lower 'CL' number but same bus numbers are better ones.
one of the 650W Gold power supplys are : Gamdias KRATOS P1 650G 80+ Gold which may cost around +-85$
or if you want a modular one its Antec HCG 650 Gold full modular.
Better Brands are higher priced
there are also gold ones available with lower wattages like 500W or 450W but maybe you are not interested.
A new GPU might be the cheaper Nvidia 1660 Super ones perhaps?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020
oops, you are right, 3200mhz rams are way better. But earlier, ram bus didn't matter much. now they does, Performance drops a lot if Ram bus is below 3000mhz . The 'CL' or timing of Rams also matter. most available ones are the "CL16" ones but as johnsoner13 said, Rams with Lower 'CL' number but same bus numbers are better ones.
one of the 650W Gold power supplys are : Gamdias KRATOS P1 650G 80+ Gold which may cost around +-85$
or if you want a modular one its Antec HCG 650 Gold full modular.
Btter Brands are higher priced
there are also gold ones available with lower wattages like 500W or 450W but maybe you are not interested.
A new GPU might be the cheaper Nvidia 1660 Super ones perhaps?
Ahh I gotcha I’m sure I could probably get away with a lower wattage one but I’ve always been more comfortable having just a bit more head room which may be unnecessary may be spending to much extra money for what I got will have to look into it more I’m gonna take a look at what you recommended as far as the gpu that was my first consideration and I seen were nvidia and amd were kinda going back and forth between the prices on those cards but yeah for now I’m definitely thinking about the 1660 super thanks for the recommendation

Jan 22, 2020
Yup, the “MAX” lineup of b450 boards is specifically to support ryzen 3000 out of the box.
if you are going the ryzen route, I recommend buying a faster ram kit than 2666 with decent timings
So should I look for somthing different? Or somthing you could recommend that might support next gen I understand may be hard to tell not enough info just don’t wanna get something that’s not upgradable then again may be somthing completely different and have to with new CPU’s

If you have an i5-8400, I probably wouldn't even bother upgrading your CPU right now. The 8400 is still perfectly fine, and in most games you will be limited by graphics performance more than anything. If you want more gaming performance for graphically-demanding games, I would focus on upgrading your graphics hardware first instead.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor, and what games are you seeking more performance in? If you only have a 60 Hz screen, then it will only update the image 60 times per second anyway, meaning massively higher frame rates than that won't make much of a difference.

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
If you have an i5-8400, I probably wouldn't even bother upgrading your CPU right now. The 8400 is still perfectly fine, and in most games you will be limited by graphics performance more than anything. If you want more gaming performance for graphically-demanding games, I would focus on upgrading your graphics hardware first instead.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor, and what games are you seeking more performance in? If you only have a 60 Hz screen, then it will only update the image 60 times per second anyway, meaning massively higher frame rates than that won't make much of a difference.

You got a point. 60hz monitors s**ks in gaming. 144hz monitors are costly though. In my country brand new 144hz monitors cost more than $200. I don't usually see anything between 60hz and 144hz. there are some 75hz monitors but they are rare.
But it all depends on which type monitor he's(RoguesHyper) using and whether he wants to upgrade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.