Question i5-9600k or Ryzen 5 3600

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2020
Hey guys so i currently have an i5-8400 and i just dont think its gonna cut it much longer for what i want to play so im gonna upgrade but stuck as i want to see a decent performance upgrade so i am looking into the i5-9600k and the ryzen 5 3600 i looked at benchmarks and looked like the i5 was better but in terms for gaming but every piece of hardware is different depending on what you pair it with and the ryzen i have seen is what a lot of people are going for now but in order for me to do so that would require me to get a new mobo as mine only supports 1151 and i would have to get a new ram set because i believe you want 16gb ddr4 at what 3200mhz to get the most out of the ryzen i currently have 2666 mhz 16gb which i should probably change out no matter what i get my guess was probably the ryzen has more threads and have been told it would be a good future proof path but just wanted some opinions. Thanks guys!!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020
If you have an i5-8400, I probably wouldn't even bother upgrading your CPU right now. The 8400 is still perfectly fine, and in most games you will be limited by graphics performance more than anything. If you want more gaming performance for graphically-demanding games, I would focus on upgrading your graphics hardware first instead.

What resolution and refresh rate is your monitor, and what games are you seeking more performance in? If you only have a 60 Hz screen, then it will only update the image 60 times per second anyway, meaning massively higher frame rates than that won't make much of a difference.
I play 1080 144hz I play a lot of apex which I get 144fps max and 90 min kinda want to know drop out of the 100s like everything else I play but I also stream and it’s not the best

Reactions: hakimul.islam
Jan 22, 2020
You got a point. 60hz monitors s**ks in gaming. 144hz monitors are costly though. In my country brand new 144hz monitors cost more than $200. I don't usually see anything between 60hz and 144hz. there are some 75hz monitors but they are rare.
But it all depends on which type monitor he's(RoguesHyper) using and whether he wants to upgrade.
$200?! Holy....Here in NA a 144hz monitor with free sync 24 inches is like $150 but depends on the brand I have two 25 inch AOC monitors at 144hrz wow man I feel for ya

Reactions: hakimul.islam

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
yeah my situations are f***ed up here. Vat/Tax increasing on electronics almost every year and prices are going high day by day like crazy. the distributors, retailers are dominating the customers. They only import and sell Brands and models according to their will, considering their own advantages. Like they want to sell products only from Brands which cost the most and gives them the most profit.

"For example if you talk about the ryzen 5 3600, its one of the most wanted processors for mid-range gamers now a days. My friend went to 1OFthe best retailing shop in our country in the capital city and asked for a 3600 processor. They were acting stupid, at that time they ran out of stock for 3600. So they were kind of forcing my friend to buy the 3700x and repeatedly telling that its better than the 3600 and it'll satisfy him more !! 😑, as we were not stupid we denied to agree with them and went to another retailer for the ryzen 3600(LoL).

as job opportunities s**ks in our country as well as payment for the jobs available plus there's so much population compared to the size of the country we usually don't go for credit cards unless having a high income. even if someone wishes to buy something form Aliexpress or Amazon etc, he/she will have to pay charges as much as the price of the product to make it a valid.

The fact "Good value for money" is very rare here 😢.

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
I feel like adding some more info regarding what GPU you might have. I can for sure, recommand you The Nvidia Super Gpus from the brand GALAX. same Gpus are higher priced from brands like Gigabyte, Msi, Asus....they leave us options to Oc better too. but who cares? a gtx 1660 super is a gtx 1660 Super and A RTX 2060 Super is a RTX 2060 Super. the Non RGB version of Galax RTX 2060 Super 8gb is nearly as cheap as the Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8G 8GB (Non XT version). Just $20 difference. And the Gtx 1660 Super is $110 cheaper than the Galax RTX 2060 Super 🙂 . But "RTX" means a lot and the choice is up to you of course.
Some might say Galax is not a nice brand, But I think its 1.OF.the best options to save money and get decent performane at the same time. Sometime it shows better performance in benchmarks than Msi cards 😁 .

Last edited:
Reactions: RoguesHyper
Status
Not open for further replies.