Question i5 9600k or...........

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Planning a new build soon. I like the 2700x but after seeing the 9600k beat it in almost every game, which is all i do, game or youtube... I guess the better choice would be the intel.... But would it be worth to wait the 2-3 weeks for the new AMD cpu's to come out or just stay with the intel? Im going to splurge and get a 2080 (unless theres a better choice for same or less money) so Just want to make sure I get the right CPU.

Should I consider the i7 or will it give me no gain for gaming over the i5?

Thanks

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
I'm personally building a pc rn and have already bought a CPU. I have rtx 2080 and was planning to buy i7 9700k to pair it with but in our country there was no available processor so i bought i9 9900k.

WildCard999

Titan
What resolution/refresh rate are you gaming at? If 1080P/144hz+ or 1440P/144hz then I'd agree with Intel but if your at 60-100hz then I'd probably save some money and just go Ryzen (with a moderate OC) 2600.

As for the 2080 it's a good GPU but I'd probably go with the Radeon VII 50th Anniversary Edition that comes with a bunch of stuff (games/shirt/custom shroud/etc). It performs well and while the 2080 may work on most Freesync monitors at least you'll know that the Radeon VII will definitely work, plus Freesync monitors are much cheaper then Gsync ones.
https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/game-...MIleOFh8D44gIV1LfACh1uYQDKEAAYASAAEgI_xfD_BwE

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
What resolution/refresh rate are you gaming at? If 1080P/144hz+ or 1440P/144hz then I'd agree with Intel but if your at 60-100hz then I'd probably save some money and just go Ryzen (with a moderate OC) 2600.

As for the 2080 it's a good GPU but I'd probably go with the Radeon VII 50th Anniversary Edition that comes with a bunch of stuff (games/shirt/custom shroud/etc). It performs well and while the 2080 may work on most Freesync monitors at least you'll know that the Radeon VII will definitely work, plus Freesync monitors are much cheaper then Gsync ones.
https://www.amd.com/en/gaming/game-...MIleOFh8D44gIV1LfACh1uYQDKEAAYASAAEgI_xfD_BwE
Either 1080 or 1440. Going to buy a monitor and use it instead of my 43” tv so I can run higher than 60hz

With a 2080, most any processor over say $250 will do the job.
Be it ryzen or Intel.

I am particularly impressed by the new Intel IPM overclocking app for the 9th gen K processors.
What you get with a 9700K or even 9900K is more cores/threads.
All will OC at about 5.0 with a good cooler.

If this is a pure gaming build, look at the 9600K and spend any extra on graphics.
If you are multitasking, then the extra cores of the 9700K might be worth it.
If in doubt, and your budget permits, buy the 9700K.
The budget hurt will be short lived.
You do not want to look back and say I wish I had.

There are always new product issues, particularly with motherboard bios so I would want to let that settle down a bit before buying ryzen 3000.

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Ive decided that if I go Intel, ill just spend the extra and get the 9700k, For less than 200 more, itll help better in the long run im sure.

Now that we know a little on the new ryzen 3700x Do you guys think itd be worth it to wait and see on them, over the intel? With the price drop coming from intel, that should make the 9700k pretty close to the upper end AMD chips.

Will the 9700k be as good as multi tasking as the ryzen? If I ever wanted to stream (doubtful but possible) Id like to be able to do so. But I also want the best performance in games for the next 3+ years.

Nobody truly know what the 3700x will bring.
Nor exactly what the new motherboards will cost.
In the 9700K or 3700X price category, game performance is going to be more dependent on the graphics card than the processor.
Consider the source for the AMD benchmarks. AMD may well have closed the gap on IPC.
One thing to consider is that new products will have some issues, most likely in the motherboard bios are and, for AMD in ram compatibility.

Beitzel15

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Nobody truly know what the 3700x will bring.
Nor exactly what the new motherboards will cost.
In the 9700K or 3700X price category, game performance is going to be more dependent on the graphics card than the processor.
Consider the source for the AMD benchmarks. AMD may well have closed the gap on IPC.
One thing to consider is that new products will have some issues, most likely in the motherboard bios are and, for AMD in ram compatibility.
Would I be more than good with the 9700k then as far as the pc being good to go for 3 years or more? Card will be a 2080. Im wanting to wait until the price drop to order, but Im assuming that will be when the new amd is released

My opinion is that you are good.
9700K games just as well as 9900K.
It is no slouch for rendering and such.

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
Next year, intel should have a different architecture and 10nm processors.
After that, the cycle repeats.