CPU: Intel i5 9600k

CPU Fan: DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Air Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z-390 Pro Gaming

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD & Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

GPU: Radeon RX480 8GB

PSU: OCZ Fatality 550w

Case: DIYPC Model X-W-RGB

When idling, it sits at an average 50c which is fine and normal. However, when booting up any game it immediately goes up into the 80-85c range and spikes up to 90c. I am not sure why it is running so hot and my first guesses would be the seating of the cpu cooler and the thermal paste. Anyone know if this would be correct or have any other ideas?

Solution
What are the fans in the case?

About the best configuration for that case is two 120mm front intake fans mounted low. And one or two exhaust 120mm fans at the top mounted towards the rear, and the rear exhaust fan. And use fan filters.

I would suggest 4-pin PWM fans so they can easily be controlled by the motherboard fan utility. Then set the fan RPM/temperature ramp so the fans are quiet at 30 C and ramp to 100 % at around 75 C.

If you want to increase the positive pressure inside the case use one top fan or two with reduced RPM. Two top fans does give you extra cooling if you need it. And set the front intakes at higher RPM than the exhausts..

The air flow in this situation is from low in the front (two intakes) to the upper...
Dec 29, 2018

The CPU usage at idle or while browsing the web or answering this question is always below ~12%. I believe I mounted the cpu cooler properly because all four of the pins fit into the 1151 socket

Do this and make sure your system fans are mounted to the right direction. This think also can be a result of having poor system fans and whenever they mounted in an incorrect direction. Check it and let us know.

What are the fans in the case?

About the best configuration for that case is two 120mm front intake fans mounted low. And one or two exhaust 120mm fans at the top mounted towards the rear, and the rear exhaust fan. And use fan filters.

I would suggest 4-pin PWM fans so they can easily be controlled by the motherboard fan utility. Then set the fan RPM/temperature ramp so the fans are quiet at 30 C and ramp to 100 % at around 75 C.

If you want to increase the positive pressure inside the case use one top fan or two with reduced RPM. Two top fans does give you extra cooling if you need it. And set the front intakes at higher RPM than the exhausts..

The air flow in this situation is from low in the front (two intakes) to the upper rear (two - three exhausts).

And the CPU cooler fans are set to blow towards the rear exhaust fan. Unless there is a clearance problem with the RAM, set the fans in front of the heat sink in push mode. The single fan can be mounted on the other side in pull mode, but it is less efficient.

And that is the summary of the case cooling configuration.

Solution

I found few that would fit with only 155 mm of room. The only other option is a water cooler with 120 mm fans a Corsair H110i or H150i

Corsair Hydro Series H100i PRO Low Noise 240mm RGB Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060033-WW). Support: Intel 2066, AMD AM4.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181141

or

Corsair Hydro Series, H150i PRO RGB, 360mm. 3 X 120mm ML PWM Fans, Advanced RGB Lighting & Fan Control w/ Software. Liquid CPU Cooler. CW-9060031-WW

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181139

You will need to check the case manual if radiators are supported. The specifications don't mention it at all. The rear exhaust port is available for a radiator. I don't know if the top or front fan ports will support a radiator or not.

Unfortunately that case isn't best suited for cooling.