Question I5 9600K running way too hot?

dracosvg

Prominent
Apr 12, 2019
built a new system, got a i5 9600k cooled by a Swiftech drive H360X3, prime 95 for 10 minutes on blend @ stock clock hits 80c, cinebench test 68c, @65f ambient. stable 5 GHz 1.355 v, it hits 94c during cinebench and prime 95 instantly throttles the cpu after it hits test 2 on blend. @5ghz 1.355v 82c while gaming @74 ambient. i double checked my pump is running at 100% speed and i've re mounted the cooler twice, what am i doing wrong or my luck with chips is horrible considering my past 3 chips have been voltage hungry.

dracosvg

Prominent
Apr 12, 2019
What are you using to measure temps?
using core temp 1.10.2, i just took of my cooler off and made sure my IHS and water block were flat, both are nice and smooth, i decided to ditch the arctic silver 5 and use swiftech TIM-MATE™ 2 that came with the cooler , used a marked screwdriver and made sure all of the screws received the same amount of tightens, 5ghz, 1.355 max temp 70c @70f ambient. think i might have fixed my issue here. im just gonna sit here and blame myself for poor installation of the cooler all though ive done plenty of cooler installs

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That happens. On a side note, AS5 is popular, but that doesn't make it good. It's pretty mediocre as far as pastes go. Aios respond much better with a tight seal on the cpu ihs, tighter the better, and what would work fine for an aircooler isn't always going to work for a pump all that well.
When thermal testing an aio, you really should run it for about half an hour per test, this gives the coolant time to acclimate to the cpu temp. Afterwards give it about half an hour at idle to drop to that temp. Repeated consecutive temps will be off since the coolant temp will affect the energy absorbtion rate.
P95 Blend isn't your friend. For p95 you'll want the older 26.6 version and run small fft. This'll put you at a clean 100%, gaming equitable load temp. Any version after 26.6, ibt and occt w/linpack will put the cpu at @ 130% load temps since they use AVX and other unrealistic instructions that don't apply to gamers or general usage, only a select few professional apps. P95 blend uses a mixture of large and small files and some ram, so you'll not get a decent baseline temp.

End result is you get some seriously funky temps that under almost any usage you'd use the pc for are totally unrealistic.

dracosvg

Prominent
Apr 12, 2019
That happens. On a side note, AS5 is popular, but that doesn't make it good. It's pretty mediocre as far as pastes go. Aios respond much better with a tight seal on the cpu ihs, tighter the better, and what would work fine for an aircooler isn't always going to work for a pump all that well.
When thermal testing an aio, you really should run it for about half an hour per test, this gives the coolant time to acclimate to the cpu temp. Afterwards give it about half an hour at idle to drop to that temp. Repeated consecutive temps will be off since the coolant temp will affect the energy absorbtion rate.
P95 Blend isn't your friend. For p95 you'll want the older 26.6 version and run small fft. This'll put you at a clean 100%, gaming equitable load temp. Any version after 26.6, ibt and occt w/linpack will put the cpu at @ 130% load temps since they use AVX and other unrealistic instructions that don't apply to gamers or general usage, only a select few professional apps. P95 blend uses a mixture of large and small files and some ram, so you'll not get a decent baseline temp.

End result is you get some seriously funky temps that under almost any usage you'd use the pc for are totally unrealistic.
yeah, i just ran prime 95 26.6 at for 30 mins with OC, max core temp is 90c and one core at 94c @ 72f ambient, not sure what to think about the results, the waterblock screws are spring loaded,all of them still have room for a few more tightens but im not sure if that would help.