[SOLVED] I5-9600k - ryzen 7 5800x

Mar 9, 2023
Hey im not that great with pcs so bare that in mind.

I currenly have a i5-9600k with a 7900xt and I can really see the bottleneck in some games. So will a ryzen 7 5800x fix that problem for me or will it be the same as the 9600k?

I play on a 1440p 170hz monitor

Sorry for the bad english btw :)

Last edited:
Solution
Might be able to get the budget for it if I dont need better ram for it

Ty for the reply
No you don't, new RAM kit would be waste of money. It's a thing with X3D CPUs, in gaming workloads a big cache eliminates a lot of memory operations because data is often already in the cache so faster memory isn't useful. Basic RAM is completely fine. In other hand it's kind of boring for people who like to tune memory performance. Great for those who just want to plug&play.
Btw 5800X3D is around same performance class as 7700X in gaming. Very high value for AM4 owners.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I can really see the bottleneck in some games.
Can you please include the titles that you're taxing the system with?

Can you please pass on the specs to your platform like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If you do decide to go for the AM4 platform, you're going to need a new motherboard. Depending on your existing ram kit, it may or may not be worthwhile to migrate. If not, then that also means more money spent towards your ram kit as well. Would also be worthwhile if you could include a budget of sorts, your location and your preferred site for purchase for your upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the specs to your platform like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If you do decide to go for the AM4 platform, you're going to need a new motherboard. Depending on your existing ram kit, it may or may not be worthwhile to migrate. If not, then that also means more money spent towards your ram kit as well.

Yes hello sorry if i did it wrong :)

CPU: i5-9600k
CPU cooler: NZXT z63 Kraken
Motherboard: Asus prime Z370-P II
Ram: corsair vengeance 2x 16GB 3000mz
SSD: Intel 1tb
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil 7900XT
PSU: asus Rog Strix 80+ Gold 1000watt
Case: NZXT h510 elite
Monitor: can't remember exact but its 1440p 170hz ips panel from Acer predetor

Im from Danmark and I shop at sites like proshop.dk or computerhardware.dk

And my budget is around 200-300$ in my currency its around 2000kr :)

I have a AM4 board from Asus i think its a rog strix b550 or some like that. So its only the CPU i have to upgrade maybe ram if they are to bad :)

Hope this is better

Last edited:

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Im from Danmark and I shop at sites like proshop.dk or computerhardware.dk

And my budget is around 200-300$ in my currency its around 2000kr :)

I have a AM4 board from Asus i think its a rog strix b550 or some like that. So its only the CPU i have to upgrade maybe ram if they are to bad :)

Hope this is better
Could you stretch your budget for 5800X3D? It doesn't care about RAM much due large cache. It would be faster in games with your existing ram than 5800X + best possible RAM out there. Even if it's tuned. If your budget is tight, then upgrading the RAM is out of question too.

Mar 9, 2023
Could you stretch your budget for 5800X3D? It doesn't care about RAM much due large cache. It would be faster in games with your existing ram than 5800X + best possible RAM out there. Even if it's tuned. If your budget is tight, then upgrading the RAM is out of question too.

Ty for the reply

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021

Ty for the reply
No you don't, new RAM kit would be waste of money. It's a thing with X3D CPUs, in gaming workloads a big cache eliminates a lot of memory operations because data is often already in the cache so faster memory isn't useful. Basic RAM is completely fine. In other hand it's kind of boring for people who like to tune memory performance. Great for those who just want to plug&play.
Btw 5800X3D is around same performance class as 7700X in gaming. Very high value for AM4 owners.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 9, 2023
Btw 5800X3D is around same performance class as 7800X in gaming. Very high value for AM4 owners.
Okay great TY for the help man, I have one more thing i would like to ask. Whould this help fix my bottleneck problem aswell?

Last edited:

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Okay great TY for the help man, I have one more think i would like to ask. Whould this hekp fix my bottleneck problem aswell?
Yes, it will and with wide margin. It was fastest gaming CPU just 6 months ago before intel 13th gen(with DDR5) and AMD 7000-series. Frankly your 9600k has fallen off cliff quite badly, 6c/6t doesn't cut anymore in modern games. From 9th gen only 9900k has aged well because it had HT. Cheap second hand 9900k would be an option if you didn't have AM4 board. But obviously it wouldn't be at same level as 5800X3D.

Mar 9, 2023
Yes, it will and with wide margin. It was fastest gaming CPU just 6 months ago before intel 13th gen(with DDR5) and AMD 7000-series. Frankly your 9600k has fallen off cliff quite badly, 6c/6t doesn't cut anymore in modern games. From 9th gen only 9900k has aged well because it had HT. Cheap second hand 9900k would be an option if you didn't have AM4 board. But obviously it wouldn't be at same level as 5800X3D.
Allright TY gonna order it tonight

TY for the help

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
Go 5800X3D, no question about it, since you already have the AM4 motherboard.
Anything else would need an increase in budget.

Also, there is no 7800X, only the 7700X (8core) and in a while the 7800X3D (also 8core).
Those are the next generation CPUs going from 5800X and 5800X3D. I know, kind of confusing.