Question i5 9600k seems to run hot at stock with minimum workload

May 16, 2019
I’m a first time pc owner and I built my pc myself but I feel that it may be running hotter than preferred. I have an i5-9600k cpu, MSi z390 gaming edge ac, msi 580 armor 8gb oc gpu, g.skill ripjaws v series 16gb, and evga supernova 550 g3 80 plus gold Psu, cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler. I’ve played pubg without making any changes in the bios and my cup temps sat between 65-70c while running pubg and then sat around 48c-52c with minimal load. I only have 2 case fans in the fractal design focus g case so I wonder if I need to add more case fans to properly lower temps within the case.

May 16, 2019
I’m a first time pc owner and I built my pc myself but I feel that it may be running hotter than preferred. I have an i5-9600k cpu, MSi z390 gaming edge ac, msi 580 armor 8gb oc gpu, g.skill ripjaws v series 16gb, and evga supernova 550 g3 80 plus gold Psu, cooler master hyper 212 cpu cooler. I’ve played pubg without making any changes in the bios and my cup temps sat between 65-70c while running pubg and then sat around 48c-52c with minimal load. I only have 2 case fans in the fractal design focus g case so I wonder if I need to add more case fans to properly lower temps within the case.
I also might have an insufficient cpu cooler so I’m just looking for a bit of guidance on what could possibly be going wrong or if those temps are something to be worried about

May 16, 2019
Whats the ambient temp where the computer is?

what case are you using? Does it have fans for case airflow?

Your temps do seem a bit high, but not overheating yet.
Room temp is sitting between 21-24c, I have a fractal design Focus G case that came with 2 stock case fans for intake. I have not installed any other case fans on the system yet to increase more air flow.

May 16, 2019
Intake only? you didn't use one of them intake and the other is out?
If so then this might be your issue that the warm air is not going outside your case.
The two intake were installed already so I left them as is, I have purchased two corsair af120s in hopes of it being enough to carry airflow out. Thanks for all of the reply’s

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
What cpu cooler do you have? And what case are you using?

Reactions: Gshare
70c is totally fine for that cpu and is pretty much in line with what i'd expect from a 212 evo.
If you want to lower that then i'd look into getting more case fans or possibly a better cooler.
Keep in mind however that there's no reason to do this other than your own preference of lower temps.

May 16, 2019
70c is totally fine for that cpu and is pretty much in line with what i'd expect from a 212 evo.
If you want to lower that then i'd look into getting more case fans or possibly a better cooler.
Keep in mind however that there's no reason to do this other than your own preference of lower temps.
Thanks for the insight, I installed my two new case fans and temps drops about 5c. If those temps aren’t too bad I may hold off on splurging on a new cooler.

Your temperatures are ok.
Idle at 10-15c. over ambient is what I might expect.
The hyper212 is hard to mount evenly.

Really, you need do nothing.
Your case is a good one for cooling.
Keep the two front intake fans.
Do not worry much about exhaust, whatever comes in will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
An exhaust at the rear is good to direct airflow.
If you want a better cooler, look to noctua.
They are easy to mount, efficient and are quiet.
NH-D15s is as good as it gets., about $80.
NH-U14s is $70.

May 16, 2019
Your temperatures are ok.
Idle at 10-15c. over ambient is what I might expect.
The hyper212 is hard to mount evenly.

Really, you need do nothing.
Your case is a good one for cooling.
Keep the two front intake fans.
Do not worry much about exhaust, whatever comes in will exit somewhere, taking component heat with it.
An exhaust at the rear is good to direct airflow.
If you want a better cooler, look to noctua.
They are easy to mount, efficient and are quiet.
NH-D15s is as good as it gets., about $80.
NH-U14s is $70.
Thank you for the help, I’m going to look into a new cooler and I’ll be sure to check those out. Thanks for the help

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Don't just run out and throw money at the problem. That cooler should be fine for stock clocks. The CPU is probably getting more voltage than it needs to maintain stability at stock clocks. Auto voltage tends to be a bit over aggressive which causes CPU temps to be higher than necessary. Setting negative offset or finding a lower stable fixed voltage could help immensely. At that point you may as well just overclock it since you'll need to stability test anyway. Stock settings are meant to keep even the worst silicon stable. So unless you dial in voltage manually the CPU will almost always run hotter than it needs to. Depending on the motherboard's stock settings it may also be down-clocking under load to maintain the CPU's rated TDP. Getting the most out of an Intel CPU almost always takes some settings changes in the bios even at stock clocks. Long story short.......stock settings are usually terrible.