[SOLVED] I5 9600K upgrade over ryzen 5 2600x worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Hello,
Specs: Ryzen 5 2600x
Mobo: B350 tomahawk
GPU: 1070 TI
Ram: 16 gb 3200 cl16
550W PSU

So, lately ive been struggling with this CPU. Ive been forced to OC because B350 motherboard doesnt support xrf2/precision boost overdrive of 2600x and it was giving me constanly 3.9 ghz and low performance.
Right now the max i can OC the 2600x is 4.1 ghz all cores (in games) and 4GHz if i want to make it stable at prime95 tests and such (1.39 volts, 1.1 soc, anything lower than that crashes my pc, probably i lost a bit at the cpu lottery) - Stock cooler
Also this mobo is not so good at temp management/ram overclock and so on, i like experimenting and pushing every component to its limit and i feel like mobo is holding me back a bit as well.

Is upgrading to 9600k and a good z390 mobo for OC worth it? (planning to OC this baby to 5.1-5.2 ghz with a beefy NH15 cooler
I play mostly games and usual PC activity, i dont do video editing and stuff like that, mostly when i play i dont keep other stuff open in the background as well.

Also, i plan to upgrade to a 240 hz monitor over my current 144, playing only FPS games (cs go, valorant, MW2, battlefield) and i was thinking a better framerate would help a bit

The upgrade(after i sell mobo and cpu) will cost me 400 euro(I5 9600K, good z390mobo and Noctua nh50 cooler)

Is it worth it? Should i expect some above average improvement? If i do this i dont plan to upgrade my pc in the next 2-3 years, so future proofing is not an issue here

Solution
Na wouldn't go a straight 6 core CPU, not at the expense of buying a new mobo. Maybe consider a 3600 instead.

This is what's happening with the 8600k ~ similar to 9600k. It's strong in IPC but sufferers because lack of threads.

3600 will help a lot but if want Intel, the next offerings will add Hyperthreading to all it's CPU's. Wouldn't go less than 6c/12t going forward, no matter the practical frequency.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Na wouldn't go a straight 6 core CPU, not at the expense of buying a new mobo. Maybe consider a 3600 instead.

This is what's happening with the 8600k ~ similar to 9600k. It's strong in IPC but sufferers because lack of threads.

3600 will help a lot but if want Intel, the next offerings will add Hyperthreading to all it's CPU's. Wouldn't go less than 6c/12t going forward, no matter the practical frequency.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

SATADATA

Prominent
Apr 27, 2020
The AMD stock coolers are beefy, but may struggle with heavy overclocking, maybe a better cooler and mobo for you current system would help. Plus then you can put a new higher end ryzen in if you still aren't happy with the performance.

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
2600x and it was giving me constanly 3.9 ghz and low performance.
[...]
Right now the max i can OC the 2600x is 4.1 ghz all cores (in games) and 4GHz if i want to make it stable at prime95 tests
[...]
Stock cooler

get that Noctua you want to buy anyways, and use it on your current CPU instead. you'll see better performance and stability.
the stock cooler is aimed at stock usage. if you want to OC you need a bigger cooler.

if it still not performs at your liking, you're free to buy the other parts you mentionned.

But yeah for 240hz gaming, for now you need intel. and probably an even better gpu.
Still, i wonder if the difference between 144hz and 240hz is mesurable by the humain brain or just a marketing gimmick. Did you tried it ?

Last edited:
In my opinion, going from 2600X (6C/12T) to 9600K (6C/6T) is a downgrade. Yes, you can probably overclock 9600K better, but that will make (benchmark) difference only in few games -but not in gaming. Overall PC performance however, will be worse. There's a reason why multi-thread CPU's are preferred.

Until Ryzen 5xxx series launch to market, at 1080p intel is the CPU thats going to give you (in most cases) the highest FPS number.

But Im with the rest of the people here, going with the 9600K sounds like a really bad idea, not only cause of the lack of HT, but also because it socket into a dead platform.

And yeah if you do something else than gaming and while gaming, a 6 cores CPU wont be the best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.