[SOLVED] i5 9600K vs i7 9700K - temperature difference?

Jarrett_4

Reputable
May 15, 2017
Hi all,

Anyone know if temperature differences between i5 9600K and i7 9700K would be significant?

I'm planning to run one of these chips in a mITX build with a low profile fan cooler (no room for AIO).

I want to make a good descision here, because I'm currently running an i7 7700 in the same setup and the temperatures are approx 38 Idle, 85 load (celcius).

I have heard that Kaby Lake chips run quite hot, so it may also be relevant to ask if the 9th Gen processors run cooler chips than 7th Gen.

What do you guys think?

a) Play the safe card, and go the i5 9600K (2 less cores to cool)
b) Temps will be insignifcant between the two, go the i7 9700K
c) 9th Gen runs hot, not suitable for mITX with low profile fan cooler.

Heres some additional information regarding the Case and Cooler:

Case: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=607&area=en
Cooler: http://www.cryorig.com/c7cu_us.php

Please let me know if any further information required.

Solution
They run cooler PER CORE, but they have more cores on the package, so in essence, they run hotter. In a mITX build if you can't do cooling that is up to par for the larger CPU, I think I'd stick with the 9600k. Ryzen might even be a much better option as those Ryzen 7 chips have significantly lower TDP than the equal cored Intel processors and are almost just as capable. More capable actually in anything that actually utilizes all the cores well since the 2700x has 8/16 and the 9700k only has 8/8.
They run cooler PER CORE, but they have more cores on the package, so in essence, they run hotter. In a mITX build if you can't do cooling that is up to par for the larger CPU, I think I'd stick with the 9600k. Ryzen might even be a much better option as those Ryzen 7 chips have significantly lower TDP than the equal cored Intel processors and are almost just as capable. More capable actually in anything that actually utilizes all the cores well since the 2700x has 8/16 and the 9700k only has 8/8.

Solution
I'd be very skeptical about the actual TDP capabilities of that cooler, along with other similar models like the Scythe Big shuriken rev.B. Both are decent coolers for low profile models, but these guys tend to pad their specs considerably. Even Noctua, who makes the best heatsinks and fans on the market, arguably, doesn't try to indicate that their very small 60mm and smaller coolers can handle more than 95w TDP.

I like the idea of a different fan though, and if there is room for a standard 120mm fan on there then something like that cooler WITH a Noctua 120mm iPPC 2000rpm industrial fan MIGHT be capable enough to do the job. Otherwise, I'd stick to the lower core count and play it safe.

That does look to be a decent cooler though and I'll have to find a review to look at as I wasn't aware that ID cooling had that model. I'm more familiar with their AIO coolers and their big air cooler. Unfortunately, while all of those have decent, even good performance, they have have issues such as problems with the fan retainers or water block mounting hardware that doesn't work well according to a lot of reviews.

Nov 13, 2018

Hi Jarret,

I Upgraded from a 7700K to a 9700K

My new build
Aorus Z390 Elite
16GB LPX 3000 MHz CL15
i7 9700K
Cooler CM 212X

The temperatures I get with the 9700K are slighty lower than then 7700K stock. I'm running the i7 9700k @ 4,9 GHz all cores with AVX -2 and temperatures hover around 80°C on stress,

No way your temperatures are lower on a HIGHLY overclocked 8 core 9700k than they were on a 4 core 8 thread 7700k with the same overclock unless you had an extremely horrible piece of silicon and had to use copious amounts of voltage on your 7700k to get it stable. Even then, I'd be pretty skeptical. I'm also VERY, VERY skeptical about being able to adequately keep your thermals in check on either of those CPUs @4.9Ghz using a 212 EVO unless you've added two very high end fans to it. That entire post smacks of smelling like the docks.

Nov 13, 2018

Hi,
Would I Need to make a Video on a live benchmarking for you to believe? Including Opening the case to Show you that the 212X is handling it? I could but I will not.
I'm really not interested if you are or not skeptical. The fact is that I had my 7700K running in stock 4,4GHz across all cores with temperatures in the same level as my 9700K now runs @ all cores @ 4,9GHz. I'm Talking About 82-83 Degrees Celsius as max.