[SOLVED] i5 9600k vs ryzen 3000?

Solution
we are two weeks away from ryzen 3000, i would wait. dont expect intel to drop their prices enough to be competitive with ryzen.
They say they may drop eventually up to 15 percent, but that may take time to trickle down, Where as you can get the ryzen series in two weeks and call it good. There is one issue though, if you buy a older mother board for ryzen, youll need to first boot up with a older ryzen cpu, to update bios to support the 3000 series. Assuming you dont have one of those around you can contact amd they will send out a boot kit with old cpu and cooler. otherwise you could go with the new x570 mb thats releasing with the cpus but the cheapest one i hear is around 200 bucks. they do have pci-4 for which may someday help...

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
we are two weeks away from ryzen 3000, i would wait. dont expect intel to drop their prices enough to be competitive with ryzen.
They say they may drop eventually up to 15 percent, but that may take time to trickle down, Where as you can get the ryzen series in two weeks and call it good. There is one issue though, if you buy a older mother board for ryzen, youll need to first boot up with a older ryzen cpu, to update bios to support the 3000 series. Assuming you dont have one of those around you can contact amd they will send out a boot kit with old cpu and cooler. otherwise you could go with the new x570 mb thats releasing with the cpus but the cheapest one i hear is around 200 bucks. they do have pci-4 for which may someday help for gpu, and help today somewhat if you get a 4.0 nvme ssd.

Reactions: mwhines5
Solution

mwhines5

Commendable
Jul 20, 2018
They say they may drop eventually up to 15 percent, but that may take time to trickle down, Where as you can get the ryzen series in two weeks and call it good. There is one issue though, if you buy a older mother board for ryzen, youll need to first boot up with a older ryzen cpu, to update bios to support the 3000 series. Assuming you dont have one of those around you can contact amd they will send out a boot kit with old cpu and cooler. otherwise you could go with the new x570 mb thats releasing with the cpus but the cheapest one i hear is around 200 bucks. they do have pci-4 for which may someday help for gpu, and help today somewhat if you get a 4.0 nvme ssd.

Damn, I have a look at the benchmarks, and see if its worth it.

mwhines5

Commendable
Jul 20, 2018

Would that kit be expensive?

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
The Ryzen 3000 with x570 would be the way to go for a solid build with future proofing. Don't go for Intel unless you have a specific work requirement. Wait until July 7th as suggested to look where the 3000 parts sit in the table and choose accordingly based on your requirement.

x570 motherboard would be expensive starting from 150$, if you are so budget constrained wait for B550 boards which lacks the pcie 4 or go for x470/B450 mobos based on your CPU selection.

I would personally avoid Intel 9th gen all together until they release their alleged 10nm desktop parts, until then be wise and stay away.

Intel will likely need to drop the 9700K prices to ~$250 (my opinion) to stave off the apparent onslaught of the 3600/3600X/3700....

The 9600K would need to be $175, or most will likely go with the $199 3600.....(if the preliminary performance numbers are accurate...!)

We will all know much more in 14-15 days' time..! Interesting times!

mwhines5

Commendable
Jul 20, 2018
The Ryzen 3000 with x570 would be the way to go for a solid build with future proofing. Don't go for Intel unless you have a specific work requirement. Wait until July 7th as suggested to look where the 3000 parts sit in the table and choose accordingly based on your requirement.

x570 motherboard would be expensive starting from 150$, if you are so budget constrained wait for B550 boards which lacks the pcie 4.

I would personally avoid Intel 9th gen all together until they release their alleged 10nm desktop parts, until then be wise and stay away.

Which would be the best for streaming and gaming? That we know of from the specs?

TRENDING THREADS