[SOLVED] i5 9600k vs ryzen 5 3600

midhunjithuz615

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
Hi there, looking to buy a new pc. I am in a confusion whether to buy i5 9600k or ryzen 5 3600. I will be gaming in 1080p 75hz monitor. Pairing a gtx 1660 ti. If going with amd suggest me a decent Mobo (not going to overclock). Will 450watt enough to power ryzen 5 3600?.
Thank you for helping.

Solution
Both CPUs are good. The 9600k will get 5% better fps, but it will cost more and does not come with a cooler. I recommend a 3600 all the way. It is a very good CPU. I like the MSI Tomahawk B450 mobo. It is a good board.

A decent 450 watt PSU will be fine for the system. But there are a lot of junk PSUs that may not be able to handle the voltage spikes of the 1660ti and the 3600. So pending the model of PSU, I would recommend getting a new one.
Both CPUs are good. The 9600k will get 5% better fps, but it will cost more and does not come with a cooler. I recommend a 3600 all the way. It is a very good CPU. I like the MSI Tomahawk B450 mobo. It is a good board.

A decent 450 watt PSU will be fine for the system. But there are a lot of junk PSUs that may not be able to handle the voltage spikes of the 1660ti and the 3600. So pending the model of PSU, I would recommend getting a new one.

Last edited:
Solution
The 3600 will out last the i5 due to superior multicore performance and will give you better gaming longevity via triple A titles before an upgrade is necessary. Additionally the higher core clocks of the i5 won't matter for two reasons:
  1. You only have a 75hz monitor.
  2. Triple A titles are already maxing out the i5 processor via gaming load.
The motherboard atx form factor will be dependent on what computer case you already have or what case you plan to purchase. My suggestion is a 550w power supply to ensure future upgrade compatibility.

midhunjithuz615

Reputable
Apr 20, 2018
The 3600 will out last the i5 due to superior multicore performance and will give you better gaming longevity via triple A titles before an upgrade is necessary. Additionally the higher core clocks of the i5 won't matter for two reasons:
  1. You only have a 75hz monitor.
  2. Triple A titles are already maxing out the i5 processor via gaming load.
The motherboard atx form factor will be dependent on what computer case you already have or what case you plan to purchase. My suggestion is a 550w power supply to ensure future upgrade compatibility.
Will I have to upgrade my bios or it will work out of the box?

Will I have to upgrade my bios or it will work out of the box?
It depends on the motherboard. A 500 series motherboard will work out of the box. I always advise updating the bios after building your new system. If you plan to go with a 400 series motherboard make sure it has the bios flashback feature because there will be a chance that your system will not post as a result of having an outdated bios version. This will allow you to upgrade the bios without the need for a processor or memory.