[SOLVED] i5 9600k vs Ryzen 5 3600x

MateMan

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
Hello. What do you guys perform? I saw that ryze have problem with RAM speed.
I watched some benchmarks and intel is always ahead for 5-10fps. In my country the price for each CPU is kinda the same and this is the reason why im asking.
And which motherboard do you guys preffer for arround 200-250$ for each CPU?
Thanks and have a nice day :D

Solution
I’d pick the 3600. I’m not aware of any RAM issues with Ryzen. As for the 9600k having higher FPS that is only average FPS and in specific scenarios, you have to remember most review setups are configured to maximise the difference between CPU’s and don’t reflect most user setups. Now back the fps, you must look at the minimum 1.0 & 0.1% as well as average. These can have a bigger impact on gaming experience and although averages can be higher we have seen the 9600k seeing lower minimums due to its 6 cores/threads limitation. We are seeing games using more threads, I’m playing COD MW which uses 12 threads on my 3700x.
Apr 6, 2020
Hello MateMan,

From these two CPUs, I definitely recommend the Ryzen 5 3600X, because not only is it faster than the 9600K, but it also has 12 threads, instead of 6. In addition, you can overclock it through AMD's Ryzen Master overclocking software. A good motherboard for the 3600X is the Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING.

yeti_yeti

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
9600k tends to be a bit faster in games because of its higher clockspeed. Also, I really don't think you need to spend anywhere near 200$ for a motherboard, 140-150$ would be more than enough.
Cheers

In the $200 price bracket, you can buy a very good gaming cpu, regardless of intel/amd.
You should be looking at a $400 class graphics card to match.

The value with ryzen is in the many cheap cores.
How useful that is will depend on what you use the pc for.
If you are running multithreaded batch apps, ryzen is hard to beat.
If your main game is multiplayer with many participants, then ryzen and many threads is good.
For other types, few games can make effective use of more than 6 cores.

For all other games, clock speed is most important.
Intel K suffix processors will usually reach 5.0 on all cores if you have a motherboard with a Z370/Z390 chipset and a decent cooler.
Ryzen is more like 4.3

I have no opinion on motherboards, all makers are good.
For Intel once you have a z370/z390 based motherboard, you need little else.
No need for an enthusiast board.

Intel does not depend on ram speed for real app performance. With ryzen you want fast ram for performance.

MateMan

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
I will use the pc for old and new games like league of legends, counter strige global ofensive, gta 5 and soon gta 6, battlefield, call of duty and more. I guess i can go with ryzen because i will only lose like 5 fps or mybe 10 but i can do more multitasking i think.
I wanted to buy:
cpu: intel i5 9600k
motherboard: asus strix Z390-E GAMING
ram: g.skill trident z rgb 16gb 3200 or 3600mhz
psu: 850W
and for graphic i still have asus gtx 960 4gb and i wanted to upgrade to 2070 after 2 months.

But if i go with ryzen i would choise all other components the same only for
cpu i would get ryzen 5 3600x and for mob: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING.
What do you guys think?

I’d pick the 3600. I’m not aware of any RAM issues with Ryzen. As for the 9600k having higher FPS that is only average FPS and in specific scenarios, you have to remember most review setups are configured to maximise the difference between CPU’s and don’t reflect most user setups. Now back the fps, you must look at the minimum 1.0 & 0.1% as well as average. These can have a bigger impact on gaming experience and although averages can be higher we have seen the 9600k seeing lower minimums due to its 6 cores/threads limitation. We are seeing games using more threads, I’m playing COD MW which uses 12 threads on my 3700x.

Solution

MateMan

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
So the best way it would be:
cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
mob: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
ram: g.skill trident z rgb 16gb 3200 (because it not supporting more)
psu: 850W
and for graphic like i said i still have asus gtx 960 4gb and i wanted to upgrade to 2070 after 2 months.
Thanks you for your help guys
Have a nice day and stay healty :D

Dec 16, 2019
Hello MateMan,

From these two CPUs, I definitely recommend the Ryzen 5 3600X, because not only is it faster than the 9600K, but it also has 12 threads, instead of 6. In addition, you can overclock it through AMD's Ryzen Master overclocking software. A good motherboard for the 3600X is the Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING.
The Ryzen 5 3600 is NOT faster for single thread, but it destroys Intel in multithreaded apps.