[SOLVED] i5 9600k vs Ryzen 5 3600X

Aug 13, 2019
Hey

I thought I already had chosen components for my upgrade from i7 4790k. I wanted to get Asus STRIX B450F, 2x8GB 3200MHz Hyperx Fury RAM memory and Ryzen 5 3600X. I mostly play games like Battlefield 1, CoD MW, World of Tanks and a lot of TW: Warhammer lately. My cooler is Hyper 212 LED which is also important here.

Someone mentioned i5 9600k, I looked up the prices and benchmark comparison(userbenchmark) and.. it looks like it's better.. I don't know what about temps but performance-wise even though it's older it boosts higher with the same amount of cores and it is cheaper compared to 3600X, it is a bit(30bucks) more expensive compared to 3600 but I'm aiming for peak efficiency I can get at this price range

What should I do in this case?

Also, in case you want to know this, my GPU is GTX 1070

Solution
Since Intel has more aggressive upfront, and single core boosts, it wins out in gaming.

AMD has a convincing lead in multithreaded workstation tasks since it boosts for longer
but in both scenarios its 5% difference at best.

The reason i would say get the AMD chip is that AMD has a better upgrade path.
The best you could put on a board with the 9600k is a 9900ks which is.. not much better
while you could put a 3950X in that amd board (and also 4th gen when it comes out.)

also, the 3600 non x is a better value.
it has no lesser efficiency, it might be binned a little lower, but almost all 3600s can oc up to the 3600X.

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
i would go for the 3600, as $30 just for a few more % does not justify the price. Do you have the AM4 mounting kit for the Hyper 212?

games are usually better with Intel chip, if you still insist on getting the 3600X i would get he i5 9600k that will be better for about the same pricing

Since Intel has more aggressive upfront, and single core boosts, it wins out in gaming.

AMD has a convincing lead in multithreaded workstation tasks since it boosts for longer
but in both scenarios its 5% difference at best.

The reason i would say get the AMD chip is that AMD has a better upgrade path.
The best you could put on a board with the 9600k is a 9900ks which is.. not much better
while you could put a 3950X in that amd board (and also 4th gen when it comes out.)

also, the 3600 non x is a better value.
it has no lesser efficiency, it might be binned a little lower, but almost all 3600s can oc up to the 3600X.

Solution
Aug 13, 2019
i would go for the 3600, as $30 just for a few more % does not justify the price. Do you have the AM4 mounting kit for the Hyper 212?

games are usually better with Intel chip, if you still insist on getting the 3600X i would get he i5 9600k that will be better for about the same pricing
Yeah in my case i5 9600k seems like a better option in most games.. I am worried about the temps though as I have no knowledge about any of these CPUs

I have original box with everything I didn't use to mount it on my lga 1150 so I know I can mount my cooler on AM4 and LGA 1151, I believe coffee lake doesn't require unique mounting bracket or whatever

How does upgrading from coffee lake look like after i5 9600k though?

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
If you prefer intel, then maybe take a look at intel 10th gen. They have been released and require lga 1200 socket.
i5 is now 6c/12t
i7 is 8c/16t
i9 is 10c/20t
the 10th gen is way off the budget, and not readily in stock as its a new product too.

LGA1150 work with the i5 9600k, about the temperature it wont affect so much if you dont do over clocking and all, or you can upgrade it to the Cryorig H7 + if you are worried

Aug 13, 2019
the 10th gen is way off the budget, and not readily in stock as its a new product too.

LGA1150 work with the i5 9600k, about the temperature it wont affect so much if you dont do over clocking and all, or you can upgrade it to the Cryorig H7 + if you are worried
Actually in the meantime I met a guy from a small facebook group I'm a part of who buys PC related things in large numbers, therefore gets a big discount on them, then sells them in Poland

I couldn't believe what he offered so I asked other members of the group about him, the guy is legit and is going to mount my new cpu with me watching so we can test everything, I'm also paying cash so I know he won't disappear after payment

What offer did I get? i5 10600 with Asus TUF gaming Z490-plus for a price of a new Ryzen 5 3600X with Asus STRIX B450-f, bloody amazing

I just hope that my 80+ bronze 550W power supply with Hyper 212 led cooler can hold up with these crazy components

HamsterKing

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Actually in the meantime I met a guy from a small facebook group I'm a part of who buys PC related things in large numbers, therefore gets a big discount on them, then sells them in Poland

I couldn't believe what he offered so I asked other members of the group about him, the guy is legit and is going to mount my new cpu with me watching so we can test everything, I'm also paying cash so I know he won't disappear after payment

What offer did I get? i5 10600 with Asus TUF gaming Z490-plus for a price of a new Ryzen 5 3600X with Asus STRIX B450-f, bloody amazing

I just hope that my 80+ bronze 550W power supply with Hyper 212 led cooler can hold up with these crazy components
thats amazing i would go for it straight without thinking!