[SOLVED] I5 9600K With Gigabyte H370 AORUS Gaming 3 ATX Motherboard?

Skylineyt

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
I'm currently planning on building my friend a streaming/gaming PC on pcpartpicker.com and I encountered an error saying "Warning!Some Intel H370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions." The only problem is that he really likes the aesthetic of this motherboard, ideally not changing it. The motherboard needs to have a bios update ideally past November 2018 to post/boot. What are the chances that it wouldn't have the BIOS update. Is there too much risk?

This is the spec list - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YYmDvW

Also he has a 500watt PSU, that should be enough?

Last edited:
Solution
You're getting a K (overclockable) CPU, but with an H370 chipset? Why? It will limit your overclocking capabilities. I would recommend a Z390 chipset instead. Most Gigabyte boards all look the same too.
Because no everybody wants or needs to overclock and K series cpus have slightly higher base clocks and less issues with ram compatibility at higher ram speeds.
For the PSU, look for a 550W SeaSonic or EVGA branded unit.
No thank you. I'd not suggest the use of Evga B1, N1, W1, G1, NEX or any of a half dozen other Evga branded units, or even some of the Seasonic built older units like from XFX or Antec or even Seasonic. I'd rather have no pc at all than deal with an S12-III.

OEM and vendor aside, it's the model itself...
You're getting a K (overclockable) CPU, but with an H370 chipset? Why? It will limit your overclocking capabilities. I would recommend a Z390 chipset instead. Most Gigabyte boards all look the same too.

As for your concern, the motherboard listed would need to be on F7 BIOS which is from 2018. Chances are very good it will be on that or newer. This board does NOT support Q-Flash Plus which means you will need a compatible CPU and RAM to update the BIOS, so it is a slight risk to buy this specific board.

Reactions: Skylineyt
I'd look for a Z390 mainboard...(last thing you want is a 'no POST' condition for an old-stock mainboard that does not support 9000-series CPUs without a BIOS update, which you can't do without an older CPU)

Hardware Unboxed (Youtube) just examined a slew of Z390 boards recently, studying each for VRM temps/cooling in overclocked configurations... (check out Asus Z390 Prime results)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because no everybody wants or needs to overclock and K series cpus have slightly higher base clocks and less issues with ram compatibility at higher ram speeds.
No thank you. I'd not suggest the use of Evga B1, N1, W1, G1, NEX or any of a half dozen other Evga branded units, or even some of the Seasonic built older units like from XFX or Antec or even Seasonic. I'd rather have no pc at all than deal with an S12-III.

OEM and vendor aside, it's the model itself that is everything. Huge difference between an Evga NEX or 500B/N/W and an Evga G2 or Corsair VS and AXi.

Solution

Skylineyt

Reputable
Sep 16, 2016
The Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro or Elite has the same aesthetics as the H370 Gaming 3, just cost £30ish more. Won't require nor have any bios considerations to allow a 9th gen cpu to work. As plug and play as it gets.

Thanks for all the replies, we've finally decided on getting the Z390 Auros Pro to fit for his aesthetic build!