[SOLVED] i5 9600k with vsync for streaming

wiktorpsp

Honorable
Jul 28, 2018
Hi there,
I'm looking to upgrade my i7 4770 for a new processor. I put in the first place gaming performance and I want to focus mainly on a one game and stream this quite often. I consider buying i5 9600k but after some research I saw terrible video quality on viewer's side, because it seems like processor is focusing mainly on a game and not so much on streaming. Here is my question - do you think that vsync is going to help with stream's video quality?
I think that I should also mention the rest of my necessary specs:
gtx 1070
15Mbps upload

Solution
V sync will help if you are CPU bottlenecked in a video game. But either way, the 9600K is going to have a difficult time streaming. It can most certainly do it, but only at lower settings.

The absolute max I'd recommend for streaming is 1080P 30fps very fast. Which to be honest, your better off using your GTX 1070 for streaming as that card will surpass the 9600K in quality, efficiency, and smoothness.

If you absolutely want to do x264 CPU encoding/streaming, then stick with 720P 30fps or maybe 60fps.

Or just get a better CPU as said above like a 2700X.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Vsync might remove visual screen tearing in the stream but it wont do much more than that.

I doubt the 9600k is going to be all that much better at streaming and playing than a 4770 depending on the game, the 9600k has two less threads than the 4770 it may have better single thread performance but streaming can take advantage of a lot of threads. I would be looking at an 8700k or ryzen if I were you.

V sync will help if you are CPU bottlenecked in a video game. But either way, the 9600K is going to have a difficult time streaming. It can most certainly do it, but only at lower settings.

The absolute max I'd recommend for streaming is 1080P 30fps very fast. Which to be honest, your better off using your GTX 1070 for streaming as that card will surpass the 9600K in quality, efficiency, and smoothness.

If you absolutely want to do x264 CPU encoding/streaming, then stick with 720P 30fps or maybe 60fps.

Or just get a better CPU as said above like a 2700X.

Solution

wiktorpsp

Honorable
Jul 28, 2018
By looking at a leaked graph about new rzyen 3rd series, do you think r5 3600x is probably going to do well at streaming?
8c/12t 4.0GHz/4.8GHz, of course little overclocked

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I used a 9600k for a little bit. It is not a good streaming cpu sorry to say. My twitch video looked horrible.

No, vsync will not help your stream at all. The only way I could see it helping is because it caps your game's fps therefore freeing up a tiny bit of cpu power for streaming, and I don't even know if that'd really happen/work like that.

On twitch the usual standard is 720p@60fps. You could achieve this by putting your encoding on fast and your bitrate low but the resulting video quality will look pretty poor.

Just relaying my experience.