Question I5 9600K

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
So i just finished installing my new I5 9600k processor.
I overclocked the CPU to 5.0GHz I tried to do 5.2 but it crashed so I went back to 5.
I didn't change anything else besides the CPU multiplier which stayed on 50.
I left everything else on auto and I enabled XMP for the rams as well.

So I did a benchmark using cinabench and I got the following temperatures at the end of the stress test with no crashes:

View: https://imgur.com/6vp75Mv

After i left it for a while and went to clean etc, i got those temperatures:

View: https://imgur.com/Pald6NH

NOTE: The FAN curve for the CPU I had to change a bit because it kept staying at 300RPM for some reason, so I changed to if it hit 50 and above it will change to full speed, and if it is lower than that which you can see in the picture I took after leaving it for a bit it goes to around 1.2k rpm around that.

Do you think those temperatures are fine? and do you think what I have done is completely fine?

And it hasn't crashed so yeah.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
The score i got in cinabench was 2912.

Last edited by a moderator:

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
The temps are fine, but I would recommend stress testing using P95, OCCT, or AIDA, as Cinebench alone isn't a good stress test.

Well, I also used the intel extreme program to benchmark/stress test the CPU and both came pretty much the same temps.

If you will suggest me using AIDA etc, please mention what settings I am gonna use, I never used those programs before and I don't want to put some wrong settings that will overheat my CPU, etc.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Also, for the fan speeds, is it fine to leave the cooler on that high fan speed or?
If not then to what should I lower it.

I did this:
From 45C it'll at 75% at 50C it'll run at 80% 65C it'll run at 100%
and am getting temps rn from 40-42 43 but sometimes when i open an app or something some cores would go to 57 or 58 then go back to 42 or 43.
Am not sure if this is normal or not, any idea?

Last edited:
If you will suggest me using AIDA etc, please mention what settings I am gonna use, I never used those programs before and I don't want to put some wrong settings that will overheat my CPU, etc.
I'm not sure about AIDA, but for Prime95 and OCCT, I would suggest Large data set/FFT size, and run it for 4-8 hours to be sure its stable for 24/7 use. I usually test overnight when doing that

From 45C it'll at 75% at 50C it'll run at 80% 65C it'll run at 100%
and am getting temps rn from 40-42 43 but sometimes when i open an app or something some cores would go to 57 or 58 then go back to 42 or 43.
Am not sure if this is normal or not, any idea?
Those fan speeds are perfectly fine, though if you're using some cheaper fans, it can reduce lifespan a bit. Usually nothing to worry about.
And yes, those temps are fine.

Reactions: iMatty

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
I'm not sure about AIDA, but for Prime95 and OCCT, I would suggest Large data set/FFT size, and run it for 4-8 hours to be sure its stable for 24/7 use. I usually test overnight when doing that

Those fan speeds are perfectly fine, though if you're using some cheaper fans, it can reduce lifespan a bit. Usually, nothing to worry about.
And yes, those temps are fine.

Well am using the Noctua NH u12s chroma fan, and I probably won't be able to run that test for 4 to 8 hours, I might let it run for an hour as I've already done multiple tests with cinabench and intel benchmarking tool but I'll see.
Also, I changed the fan curve again, 45C and 52C will be at 88% above that it'll go 100% speed.
EDIT:
I dropped the overclock to 4.8 I felt like 5ghz is a bit too much for my purpose honestly.
and right now with the fan curve, I have been getting around 39 to 52C I think that is fine? or should i change the fan curve to be less aggressive?

Last edited:
Well am using the Noctua NH u12s chroma fan, and I probably won't be able to run that test for 4 to 8 hours, I might let it run for an hour as I've already done multiple tests with cinabench and intel benchmarking tool but I'll see.
Also, I changed the fan curve again, 45C and 52C will be at 88% above that it'll go 100% speed.
EDIT:
I dropped the overclock to 4.8 I felt like 5ghz is a bit too much for my purpose honestly.
and right now with the fan curve, I have been getting around 39 to 52C I think that is fine? or should i change the fan curve to be less aggressive?
Unless you swapped out noctuas stock fan for some cheapo fan, theres really no reason to have a less aggressive fan curve besides noise, and its up to you to decide what's too loud and what's acceptable

As for duration of the stress test, could you maybe test it overnight or something? That's what I usually do for 4-8 hour tests.

Reactions: iMatty

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Unless you swapped out noctuas stock fan for some cheapo fan, theres really no reason to have a less aggressive fan curve besides noise, and its up to you to decide what's too loud and what's acceptable

As for duration of the stress test, could you maybe test it overnight or something? That's what I usually do for 4-8 hour tests.
I'll see what I can do about the stress test, and for the CPU fan I didn't change it, it's the fan that came with the cooler, and I might even buy another one and put it on the other side as they gave me extra clips for another fan.

Reactions: extreme_noob