i5 Haswell overheating (crash at 100c)

Jun 19, 2018
Good evening,

I happen to be having an issue with my pc that has been ongoing for quite a while. Since its a mini ITX mobo and they're notorious for overheating, I figured, why not switch to a bigger box?

So i did. Unfortunately, my computer still crashed. So i ran a few different gpu monitors and CPU (just to be safe) and lo and behold I'm hitting 100c while gaming but even idle seems to max around 75c.

The psu is a gold rated one from EVGA, the GPU is a Radeon R7 370, 1TB HDD, mobo being the miniITX as I mentioned.

The new box is a tesseract and has two 120mm fans. I'm going to probably try removing the stock fan and wiping the thermal paste but if that fails, what's my best option? New mobo? New cpu? Both?

Solution
Intels stock coolers look like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-115x-stock-cooler-hs-007-in.html - sorry I never bothered figuring out how to embed pictures.

They are the bare minimum but do work well enough for most people if fitted correctly. If that's what you have check that all four corners are firmly attached - it's quite easy to not put these on properly.

As per the first answer in this thread, it's very likely you need to remove the cooler, clean all the old paste off both surfaces, apply some new paste, and reattach the cooler - making sure it's on properly. The best thing to do if you have never done this is to look at some guides on youtube on how to re apply thermal paste.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
It's probable the cooler is either not mounted correctly or it's the paste. Other options - it's faulty or clogged with dust etc
What CPU and what cooler?

As for the well installed stock cooler hitting 95 - depends.
I have had several machines I can compare roughly
i5 3470 - stock cooler hits 80-85 under full stress test and stays under 80 gaming
i5 7400 - about the same actually but a few degrees cooler on average and quite a bit cooler at idle
i7 3770 - can get into the 90s on a stress test, generally stays a lot lower while gaming

I use aftermarket coolers now, but have built many machines with the stock cooler and it's never been an issue.
A few builds ago I got the trusty old hyper 212 evo and have just kept re using it :)

Jun 19, 2018

Okay, so I took a look at what model of i5 I'm using and it's the i5 4690 (Haswell)
I'll post all the specs I have.

https://i.imgur.com/J5hqNRA.png

How do I find what kind of cooler I have for the stock? I have two 160mm fans in there, as mentioned, but not sure what the fan on the i5 is

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I would also add a couple of case fans to increase airflow. It will help tremendously with a miniITX since the VRMs and VRAM are so tiny and hot. Also, the stock coolers are awful, and especially so if you an inadequate case airflow. You could replace the stock cooler with one of those hand fans they give out at theme parks and it would probably cool better.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Intels stock coolers look like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/intel-115x-stock-cooler-hs-007-in.html - sorry I never bothered figuring out how to embed pictures.

They are the bare minimum but do work well enough for most people if fitted correctly. If that's what you have check that all four corners are firmly attached - it's quite easy to not put these on properly.

As per the first answer in this thread, it's very likely you need to remove the cooler, clean all the old paste off both surfaces, apply some new paste, and reattach the cooler - making sure it's on properly. The best thing to do if you have never done this is to look at some guides on youtube on how to re apply thermal paste.

Solution
Jun 19, 2018
Okay so, good news: the fan WASNT mounted (like, holding on barely with paste) so we cleaned the paste and remounted it. Started gaming, great, no overheating, going to 60C
Then bam, crashes again and makes a god awful high pitched squeal through the speakers. Same thing as before, except previously it would happen when I hit 100C. Now it's happening even at sixty??? at this point i have no frigging clue what's going on.

Jun 19, 2018
Well, looks like it works (for now anyways) now that I followed instructions on a Blizzard forum. Basically, I had three audio devices all enabled and disabling two seems to have fixed the problem! Sound device issue i guess.
Thanks for the input about the CPU overheating, though. It was definitely unseated and lacking new thermal paste!