i5/i7 fit my motherboard?

Slow Pri

Respectable
Feb 29, 2016
Hello!

I have the Asus H170m-Plus. I want to upgrade from my i3-6100 to a i7-6700K (would be OC'd).

Is this CPU compatible with my motherboard? And is the i5 also compatible with my motherboard?

Thanks

Solution
Chug's idea to get a 7700 isn't a bad one. You could still go with a K part for the higher clock speed but an OC is out of the question without the Z series motherboard (you may be able to do minor tweaks at best to clock speed). If your finding a good deal on a 6700K(non K) I can see making that purchase as well. IPC is the same for 6000 to 7000 series, so only big difference is clock speed being faster on the newer CPUs.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Chug's idea to get a 7700 isn't a bad one. You could still go with a K part for the higher clock speed but an OC is out of the question without the Z series motherboard (you may be able to do minor tweaks at best to clock speed). If your finding a good deal on a 6700K(non K) I can see making that purchase as well. IPC is the same for 6000 to 7000 series, so only big difference is clock speed being faster on the newer CPUs.

Solution