I5 or i7 for movie editing?

stevems

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
My mom moved up from her old celeron desktop to my sister's old laptop that is some dual core intel processor, but she has not noticed any improvement with her video editing. So she wants a new computer, that can run video editing programs, such as pinnacle, good. Although I can not decide between a i5 or an i7 for the video editing. Mainly the choice is between the intel core i5 3570k and the intel core i7 3770k. Will there be much of a difference for the extra 100 bucks? And also two more things: Is 7,200 rpm hardrive sufficient for video editing? And Is the intel hd 4000 graphics good enough for video editing, or should I buy a discrete graphics card such as a gt 620(60$) or something? Thanks

Solution
The i7 is better for that, if the program doesn't support GPU accelerated encoding, but if the program does support GPU accelerated encoding, either one would be fine, due to being able to use Quick Sync with the HD 4000 iGPU.

When encoding, HD 4000 is much faster than anything a cheap discreet card can do.

But to answer your last question completely, no, you don't need to buy a discreet GPU. The only ones that would even come close to the HD 4000's encoding speed are very high end.
The i7 is better for that, if the program doesn't support GPU accelerated encoding, but if the program does support GPU accelerated encoding, either one would be fine, due to being able to use Quick Sync with the HD 4000 iGPU.

When encoding, HD 4000 is much faster than anything a cheap discreet card can do.

But to answer your last question completely, no, you don't need to buy a discreet GPU. The only ones that would even come close to the HD 4000's encoding speed are very high end.

Solution

gamerkila57

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

51117_zpsf38790ea.png

51118_zps6d76ca19.png

handbrake_zpsb28796a7.png

mainconcept_zps58cfac1a.png

stevems

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012

But do the amd processors have integrated graphics? Sorry if stupid question

It does, but like most programs that support GPU acceleration, not for all formats. That's the only drawback to GPU accelerated encoding.

It works for H.264 though, and that's what she should be using anyway.

TRENDING THREADS