I5 PCI-e advantage over i7?

Pure speculation perhaps,

but my friend wants to know whether or not to get an i7 now or wait for the i5. He is mostly a gamer/gaming bencher, and wants max FPS

Would the i7 CPU advantage be greater than i5's direct access to PCI-e advantage?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
It seems like Intel are gearing it as follows:

i5 = standard user, bit of gaming/editting but not the system's main use
i7 = us (aka heavy users). The newly announced i7 950 seems to reflect that.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
I dunno.... we don't really have anything else that does it. Not like when we saw the difference between Core 2's FSB and K8/10's IMC. It should decrease latency on GPUs, but I dont know if it'll really offer any tangible benefits.

I think it'll just be a step closer to northbridge & southbridge becoming part of the CPU.

I would imagine its something that will be more useful as the other system bus's get more saturated, but for now, its not an issue. Its basically a preventive step, to avoid issues later on.

i7 would be the faster processer for gaming, hands down.

i5 will be dual channel memory and no hyperthreading, so the i7 is faster.

No i5 will have SMT as well. Well at least the ones coming out first. The Lynnfeild ones might not have SMT but the ones that we will see first will have SMT. I have heard some will have 4 threads per core.

And the i5 might have an advatage if the integrated PCI-E controller proves to be anything really special but until we have one there is no way of telling.

That oe you are talking about is Lynnfield I believe which will be set for the low to mid end and have a integrated GPU as well.

As per the 4 threads per core, I have heard both. So I don't know if its real or not and we wont know until it comes out.

wtf...p5 and p7 for 1160s? Or is it still called 1156?

And new chipsets for the 1136?

And new xeon mobos/chipsets out soon as well?

And the 775 will still be supported at least until 2011?

Intel is really confusing the hell outta me...