i5 vs. i7, any major difference?

Oct 15, 2018
Are there any MAJOR differences between the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8300H vs. 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H? The price point for the i7 is a couple hundred more, but is it better to invest in an i7 for future use?

Solution
Depends on what you are going to use it for. If you are going to do every day tasks and gaming (if you have a dedicated graphics card either the i5 or i7 will be more then enough) then the i5 will be enough. If you plan on doing photo, movie or other CPU intensive work then the i7 would be a better choice.
Depends on what you are going to use it for. If you are going to do every day tasks and gaming (if you have a dedicated graphics card either the i5 or i7 will be more then enough) then the i5 will be enough. If you plan on doing photo, movie or other CPU intensive work then the i7 would be a better choice.

Solution
Aug 2, 2018

Get the six cores i7 CPU ... not only it is future proof , soon 8 cores will be the norm and 4 cores will be compared to entry level i3 in two years to come.

The difference being the i7's come with hyper threading. Meaning each core can theoretically do the job of two. Allowing to cpu to handle more of a workload when needed, for example rendering video an i7 would be the better choice. For gaming alone an i5, if it's of the generation we are currently in will do just fine

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
A cheap upgrade that should last a year or two longer could be a used 4770k (because they still sell at full price new... which is ridiculous) or it's big brother the 4790k. Both work on the same socket that you have and even the 4770k can power a 1080Ti with (according to various forums) only around a 5% bottleneck.

Edit: What is wrong with people, even used and refurbished these things are way too expensive? Honest question... why is a 5 generations old processor still selling for the same price I paid when it was new?

Aug 2, 2018

The OP is talking about notebook CPU.

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018

Oh, wow, you're right. Geez, I completely missed that.