I5's and stock heatsinks (Temps!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I just gotta ask, what the hell was Intel thinking putting in such a crap-tacular heat sink in with the i5 750? I mean is this someone's idea of a really bad joke? I know better than to trust that thing. I removed the garbage thermal paste that came with it and put on some arctic silver 5. And then reseated the stock fan. I wanted to see how lousy this thing really was.

Holy God. That's all I have to say. I have turbo on, and everything is at default settings and the sucker hit 74 degrees C in prime 95 (Was using Real Temp 3.4). That's all bad, so I took off the heat sink and re-applied the AS5 and made sure everything was snug as could be on the stock HS. Guess what! No change.

So I figured that since I already had a coolermaster hyper 212+ that I was using on my former builds (BTW its a great cooler for $20 and is 1156, 1366, AM2+,AM3 and 775 friendly!) and again removed the stock garbage and cleaned the CPU in preparation for the CM 212+ to go on. Boy did it ever help! I am running P95 using small FFT's for about half an hour and I am at 51 C! Whoo hoo!

I just gotta say these OEM heatsinks suck! AMD is no better (OK, maybe a bit better when it comes to the flagship phenom II's. Eesh those are big for stock!) but come on Intel! Your giving us a computer chip that self OC's and you expect this little half inch tall pile of junk to cut it? No way!

Anyone else to share their i5 stories about temps? Or just heat sink rants in general?

Solution
sorry to hijack, but its kinda relevant
im getting 42,45,41,42 C max (100% load OCCT) on my core i5 with prolimatech megahalems at stock temps, voltage etc. (with ocz freeze thermal paste)
is this alright, or should they be lower than that?
thanks
MICK

my ambient fluctuates around 25~32C, or 77~90F
G

Consider it's December in the California Bay Area (where I live) and we get down to mid 30's at night and the computer sits less than 10 feet from a heater. The front room (where the computer is) usually stays around mid 70's. (We live on a second floor apartment and the down stairs neighbors are elderly and run their heater 24/7 from October to March) so we get lots of heat from them.

Having said that it's hotter than I like most of the time (being overweight doesn't help I suppose.) but with an ambient of about 70 and on top of what to stock i5 puts out, its always gonna be pretty warm.

notty22

Distinguished
I think the stock hsf is adequate. I have a Antec 300, the two stock fans on high. On prime 95 at stock speeds I hit 68c. I can run bclck of 155 with turbo on. Which brings clock speed up to 3700mhz on one core and hit 77c. Thats all I need. In normal use, gaming I never go above 64 with the higher bclck settings. I keep my finished basement cool. I guess the reality is Intel made this just good enough. I went over budget with my own early Christmas present to myself, lol. I got the ocz 1600 ram, ud4p gigabyte board, and cpu for 404.00

edit: Its 10 degrees f, where I am , right now outside.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
So I just gotta ask, what the hell was Intel thinking putting in such a crap-tacular heat sink in with the i5 750? I mean is this someone's idea of a really bad joke? I know better than to trust that thing. I removed the garbage thermal paste that came with it and put on some arctic silver 5. And then reseated the stock fan. I wanted to see how lousy this thing really was.

Holy God. That's all I have to say. I have turbo on, and everything is at default settings and the sucker hit 74 degrees C in prime 95 (Was using Real Temp 3.4). That's all bad, so I took off the heat sink and re-applied the AS5 and made sure everything was snug as could be on the stock HS. Guess what! No change.

So I figured that since I already had a coolermaster hyper 212+ that I was using on my former builds (BTW its a great cooler for $20 and is 1156, 1366, AM2+,AM3 and 775 friendly!) and again removed the stock garbage and cleaned the CPU in preparation for the CM 212+ to go on. Boy did it ever help! I am running P95 using small FFT's for about half an hour and I am at 51 C! Whoo hoo!

I just gotta say these OEM heatsinks suck! AMD is no better (OK, maybe a bit better when it comes to the flagship phenom II's. Eesh those are big for stock!) but come on Intel! Your giving us a computer chip that self OC's and you expect this little half inch tall pile of junk to cut it? No way!

Anyone else to share their i5 stories about temps? Or just heat sink rants in general?
Stock coolers are meant to keep the CPU operating within acceptable parameters at stock clocks. I fail to see why you're getting worked up about this. May I suggest a hot coco, warm sweater and the latest Daily Show episode to calm your nerves? :p

keyter

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Guys

I just my new i5 yesterday - upgraded from AMD Athlon X2 BE.

My i5 on stock hsf and stock speeds goes up to around 65C (around 25C ambient).

I plan on upgrading the hsf, it seems my Coolermaster Hyper TX2 doesn't want to fit properly, but I would like to know at what temps I should get worried?

sturm

Splendid
I know the i5s are faster but good grief. I just built an Athlon II X3 435 2.9 Ghz and it idles at 63 F - 17 C and with prime95 running it never got above 118 F - 47 C with all 3 cores running at 100% and this is with the stock heatsink and paste. I looked at a few reviews and a couple of them saw the i7 reach 196 F - 91 C on the stock cooler.

Pretty much if I was getting an i5 or i7 I would definitely get a good aftermarket cooler.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Try to resit your HSF with Arctic Silver 5(AS5) thermal grease! Follow this!

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Consider it's December in the California Bay Area (where I live) and we get down to mid 30's at night and the computer sits less than 10 feet from a heater. The front room (where the computer is) usually stays around mid 70's. (We live on a second floor apartment and the down stairs neighbors are elderly and run their heater 24/7 from October to March) so we get lots of heat from them.

Having said that it's hotter than I like most of the time (being overweight doesn't help I suppose.) but with an ambient of about 70 and on top of what to stock i5 puts out, its always gonna be pretty warm.
51C under Prime95 with Hyper 212+ at 30C Ambient?! What's your temps for each core?

r_manic

Administrator

I think The Colbert Report would be better. TDS would just make OP angrier over political stupidity, while TCR will make him laugh.

midchaos

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Talk about eerie. I just tried to play Dragon Age on my comp and had to quit after a few minutes cuz the temps shot up to 65C. I just built this yesterday and yes the stock heatsink does indeed suck. Thank God for Newegg.

G

Yes, when describing my local weather my temps were Fahrenheit.

G

No, it's NOT doing it's job. I'll pay the extra money and get a good aftermarket cooler.

No, it's NOT doing it's job. I'll pay the extra money and get a good aftermarket cooler.

The stock cooler is meant to run the CPU at stock speed with perhaps minor OC at adequate temperatures. It's not suppose to wow anyone...

74'C isn't even bad. i5's and i'7s throttle at 100'C, and keeping it under 80'C is fine for 24/7 use. Even taking it into the low to mid 80s 'C would be fine if you're benchmarking.

Take into consideration that some cpus run slightly hotter than others due to binning, there is nothing wrong with your intel stock cooler.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
sorry to hijack, but its kinda relevant
im getting 42,45,41,42 C max (100% load OCCT) on my core i5 with prolimatech megahalems at stock temps, voltage etc. (with ocz freeze thermal paste)
is this alright, or should they be lower than that?
thanks
MICK

my ambient fluctuates around 25~32C, or 77~90F

Solution

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I was also concerned when I saw these high temps on the i5 750 with stock HeatSink & Fan fully mounted, only a dab of Arctic Silver, twp 12-cm case fans, Antec Sonata III with case temps ~24 Degrees Celsius.

I got to 85 Degrees Celsius running Prime95 on mixed mode (default) (with the Asus temperature monitor)
Idles at 60-65 Degrees Celsius running Windows 7.
I'll have double check with CoreTemp and SpeedFan.

Though this processor runs much cooler when running Asus EPU (which underclocks the majority of stuff) at 2.4Ghz this processor has solid 60-65 low temps at Full Load running Prime95 on default settings.

I'm upset that intel equips this wonderful processor with limited stock fan, I know that it is running error free at it's standard clock at these high 85 Degree Celcius temperatures, but I do like everything running effectively at the proscribe default settings.

Maybe I'll do a 24 hour test to make absolutely sure I don't set off the thermal trip or get any errors when doing heavy loads.

I'm also sick of people who don't have experience with this processor's stock HSF and settings, or people who say it doesn't do that when I do such and such; run a stress utility and make sure. I've looked on many forums and have found the same information: this processor runs hot on stock, but it also runs well hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS