[SOLVED] i7-10700 beats ryzen 3900x?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2020
Hey guys,
i got the surprise of my pc life when i purchased an i7 system with 16gigs of ram as a SIDEKICK to my ryzen 3900x system with 32 gigs of ram. the i7 is outperforming the 3900x and i cant figure out why. I use both for gaming but the main use is around 50 to 60 tabs of either chrome or edge runing video and audio for auctions. the 3900x starts lagging at around 25chrome tabs and i have to open edge to add more tabs. system task manager SAYS that cpu usage is under 20 oer cent, but the computer is hanging and lagging and you cant switch between the tabs. The i7 has gone over 35 tabs on chrome while task manager is showing higher stress on CPU and memory, real life experience is effortless to switch between tabs. Cant figure out if I am somehow doing something wrong with the 3900x since its twice the price of the i7. here are the setups. Advice greatly appreciated

3900x system: running at 4ghz
x570 plus TUF
32 gigs corsair ram DDR4@ 3600 mhz
1tb ssd
liquid cooling
5700xt 8gig radeon

I7 10700 system @3.2ghz
z490-plus TUF
gskill 16 gigs ddr4 3200mhz
1TB SSD
NVIDIA GEFORCE 2060 SUPER

Solution
the CPU usage never goes above 15 per cent, once i max out chrome tabs i open edge tabs on another monitor and no issues there. just trying to see why it caps out chrome tabs before INTEL does. Yet, plenty of power to still run edge tabs. is there a setting for the processor that it caps how much power is available for an individual program?

usage see the cpu as a whole, you need to see if chrome use all the cores.
Aug 9, 2020
Yes and yes. So the intel is not supposed to leave the ryzen in the dust? Also cleared the chrome browser history and cache since it sometimes slows it down.

Aug 9, 2020
Why is 3900x running at 4ghz? What did you do to cause that?
bios optimal setting has it at 4ghz. i think stock is 3.8.
i didnt see any bottlenecks, and to get around not being able to open that many chrome tabs, i run another 20 tabs in edge... the problem is CHROME cant hold that many windows when using the ryzen, but has no issues with intel processor. trying to figure out if the processors are somehow different in how much resources they give to an individual program.

Aug 9, 2020
check individual core usage? sound like it is not using all the cores.
the CPU usage never goes above 15 per cent, once i max out chrome tabs i open edge tabs on another monitor and no issues there. just trying to see why it caps out chrome tabs before INTEL does. Yet, plenty of power to still run edge tabs. is there a setting for the processor that it caps how much power is available for an individual program?

rgd1101

Don't

usage see the cpu as a whole, you need to see if chrome use all the cores.

Solution
Aug 9, 2020
You are right... task mgr was showing that i7 was utilizing all cores... ryzen 3900 overusing lower processors and not touching the upper ones.. it looked like the programs were only utilizing 10 to 20 per cent of CPU power.. but in fact some were as high as 80 per cent . Any bios setting u know of that would spread the use over all cores and processors on the ryzen? The i7 seems to do a better job. Thx for the help.

Aug 9, 2020
About six months ago when I bought it. It came together as one system. No upgrades. So did the intel unit. U think an OS reinstall would fix something like that. I assumed a bios setting for cores or an OS setting for core utilization would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.