[SOLVED] I7 10700 build

Solution

I would change 3 things: Power Supply, Motherboard, and SSD (all within the order of my perceived priority).

The power supply is almost a must. If you are spending over $1300 on a system, why not spend a little more for a unit with at least 750 watts? Your next GPU upgrade will certainly require it.

B460 Tomahawk is a solid budget board - but it remains to be seen how well it will support the upcoming Rocket Lake cpus. I'd spend more to buy a Z490 board to have the most flexibility in the future. (the memory constraint was already mentioned)

Finally, $60 to $80 more will put you into a PCI-e 4.0 NVME drive which will not make any difference now, and...
Hi guys

Is the below build ok?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/789xcT

Initially thought of going with the 5600x but it's still not available in our country and we need the pc asap. Also suggested that we wait for the 3060ti. But all in all is the build ok?
Be happy that 5600x is not available in your country and you are going for i7 10700 yes its takes more power and gives more heat but you have a 240mm cooler so heating should not be an issue however I've never heard that brand so not sure how that particular is but you can consider getting a decent Z490 and so that you could OC your ram using XMP and you'll get the same performance as 5600x but more smoother experience thanks to 8 real cores.

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I will disagree.Ok there's a rumor that there will be a 5600 non x for 220 usd which makes it a very good buy but it's sad that an 8 core loses to a 6 core
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ukz8WUdW4
,and it's on a dead platform.You can even get a 3xxx model to save some money and upgrade later to a 5xxx model.There's No value in buying intel at the moment till they shrink to 10 nm.which should be early 2021

I have a feeling you won't see any new Nvidia models soon until they can get current models in stock.

The list you picked looks all compatible and should work fine. If you lived in America, I would have several part changes, but I don't know prices in your country, or what country it is for that matter, so I will not make any different part selections.

The 10700 is a very good CPU if there are no Ryzen alternatives, but its locked, which removes the main benefit from Intel: Overclocking. On a B460 motherboard, your ram speed is going to be limited to 2933mhz as well.

I will disagree.Ok there's a rumor that there will be a 5600 non x for 220 usd which makes it a very good buy but it's sad that an 8 core loses to a 6 core
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ukz8WUdW4
,and it's on a dead platform.You can even get a 3xxx model to save some money and upgrade later to a 5xxx model.There's No value in buying intel at the moment till they shrink to 10 nm.which should be early 2021
I watched a video where the division 2 at 1440p high details uses all of its 6 core on a 5600x so you are saying that it will be better than a 8c chip, Yes the framrates will be better on 5600x but i don't think it will be a smoother experience once you have Chrome in background with some windows update in background.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

I would change 3 things: Power Supply, Motherboard, and SSD (all within the order of my perceived priority).

The power supply is almost a must. If you are spending over $1300 on a system, why not spend a little more for a unit with at least 750 watts? Your next GPU upgrade will certainly require it.

B460 Tomahawk is a solid budget board - but it remains to be seen how well it will support the upcoming Rocket Lake cpus. I'd spend more to buy a Z490 board to have the most flexibility in the future. (the memory constraint was already mentioned)

Finally, $60 to $80 more will put you into a PCI-e 4.0 NVME drive which will not make any difference now, and because of that it is at the bottom of my suggested changes. I think it will make a difference with Rocket Lake's PCIe 4 support. and when you transition to the next gen of GPUs, the additional data bandwidth might become important with games ported from PS5.

Last edited:
Solution