[SOLVED] I7 10700 isnt being detected by motherboard

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I tried installing my new build today and when I finally hooked it all together I tried posting and the cpu light is dead red. I've never installed an lga 1200 processor before so I thought maybe it was me. So I looked at the instructions again on how to install an i7 10700 and it says its installed the same way as a 115x processor (arrow in bottom left corner sockets touching) so I'm confused. Should I order another processor from newegg? Because apparently everything is hooked up right because only the CPU light is red. I'm just really confused as to what the problem could be. Any help?

Sorry my motherboard is an asus rog strix z490-f

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah. Assuming you've built PCs in the past (Sounds like it), it sure wouldn't be requiring extra effort. It's all pretty much the same deal and not exactly rocket science. I'd say you've been dealt an unlucky CPU or possibly motherboard. Im inclined to suspect CPU first.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I tried removing everything slowly and I still get the same error being down to just mobo and CPU. And I tried reinstalling the cpu 3-4 times. So if I installed it correctly once I'm bound to get it right same result.

I'm not an expert on the new stuff but it has to ge either the motherboard or the CPU. I cant think of anything else.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Have you inspected for any bent pins in the motherboard socket?

Cpu 12v 8 pin is properly connected and at both ends (to PSU) if cable is modular?

Yes. Mobo is free of bent pins they did a good job shipping it. I even tried putting in an extra 4 pin cpu connector because the mobo had an extra. I figured it was worth a try. I'm at a loss but the processor is on sale for another 4 hours. I might try to order a new one and see if that fixes it. If it doesnt what are the odds newegg sends me two faulty processors in a row?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Quite low really.

If no bent pins are found on the motherboard (carefully inspected), and PSU cables are snug at both ends, it's possible the cpu is faulty.

The socket latch is locking properly yeah and you're installing cooler not overly tight and cpu_fan header connected?

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Yeah. Cables are snug at both ends. I asked ASUS as well and they said the same conclusion. They said its either the cpu or the motherboard especially when i removed all parts except the processor and had the same results. Also tested my PSU with a multimeter and it came back normal (Corsair ax 850) so they said it has to be one or the other.

But the motherboard gets power fine and all other lights dont turn on just the cpu light. So i think i can order a cpu. Worst comes to worst i just ask for a refund on the one that doesnt work or works. If the new cpu doesnt work then I can assume either im installing it incorrectly (if its the same as 115x Id say unlikely) or its the motherboard.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah. Assuming you've built PCs in the past (Sounds like it), it sure wouldn't be requiring extra effort. It's all pretty much the same deal and not exactly rocket science. I'd say you've been dealt an unlucky CPU or possibly motherboard. Im inclined to suspect CPU first.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Solution

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
I've been building computers since I was around seven years old yeah. I was taught mostly by a family friend who passed about 3-4 years ago but I also just genuinely had the talent and have been interested in desktops on and off since. I mean it's possible I might have missed one of the sockets the first time but not the 2nd or 3rd time. I ordered a new processor last night and ordered overnight shipping since it was on sale and was only like 15 bucks. It should be coming tomorrow I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: boju

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Okay I noticed that my wife didnt use a cpu 8 pin power cable that said "CPU" on it but used a 8 pin that said nothing on it (so it could have been a PCI-e cable or something) so I thought that'd make a difference but when I hooked up an 8 pin that said CPU on it theres still a solid cpu light. I've literally disconnected everything and tried reattaching the 24 pin as well same thing. But would my fans be spinning and have led lights and whatnot on (which I disconnected too because a google of the issue said that could be the problem) and would the monitor want to POST if the motherboard was dead? The monitor flashes as if it wants to turn on but of course it won't if there's no CPU detected. I mean I'm almost tempted to overnight a motherboard too but I already have almost 2 grand in this build already.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Pcie wouldn't fit, different shaped pins. Unless somehow forced.

Corsair are pretty good at labelling their cables so all cables should have a description of what they are.

Shouldn't be using no other cable belonging from another psu. Pinouts aren't standardized and can cause shorts/fry components.

Depending what's wrong, if it was the motherboard at fault, there may still be signs of power running through. Just don't know.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Pcie wouldn't fit, different shaped pins. Unless somehow forced.

Corsair are pretty good at labelling their cables so all cables should have a description of what they are.

Shouldn't be using no other cable belonging from another psu. Pinouts aren't standardized and can cause shorts/fry components.

Depending what's wrong, if it was the motherboard at fault, there may still be signs of power running through. Just don't know.

Yeah I was really surprised it wasnt marked. It fit snugly so it probably was a 8 pin CPU I was just trying stuff. I wanted to 100% narrow it down before spending more money on components. The processor I ordered was still able to be canceled when I woke up this morning but I think NewEgg shipped it out by now. Yeah I think I'll wait on a motherboard I want to save myself as much money as possible.

At least I'll be able to build my wife her computer today. I gave her everything I had minus my GPU a 4TB HDD and my PSU. Should take literally 10 minutes to put together lol.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
My 2nd CPU came in yesterday afternoon, I installed it and the same thing is happened, Solid red CPU light. Like you said, the chances of a 2nd CPU coming faulty in a row are almost slim to none so I ordered another motherboard. It's coming Friday so I'll update you then about whether or not a new motherboard works. If It doesn't I've no clue what the problem could be. I made 100% sure I installed the new CPU correctly, it's correct. The computer is down to barebones and I tested my PSU with a multimeter plus I used the PSU for almost 6 months before this with no problems so it can't be that.

It has to be the motherboard or i'm the biggest idiot in the world. I have over 20 years experience at building computers so I doubt the latter lol.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Oh darn, bad luck :/

Since mobo is being replaced, try breadboard it.
Try get it going outside of the case if possible.

Oh you mean bench test it? I've heard of it being possible but how do you do it? I've honestly never done it before. It involves placing the motherboard on a cardboard box right? And then hooking up my CPU and heatsink and turning the motherboard on? You just have to have power in the 24 pin and 8 pin right? And make sure the CPU fan is connected for obvious reasons :p. Just want to make sure I have it correct I've never done it before.

Would also flashing it to the latest version help? ASUS has a later version of the BIOS on their website (This motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX z-490f in case I haven't mentioned before) which again, I've heard of it being possible and know the terms involved but, I've never done it before and might need a video to help. Maybe I'll look on Youtube and see if they have a video for my specific motherboard. But, they might not it was made like 2 months ago.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes bench it, pretty much how you described. Have the motherboard on a non conductive surface and connect power cables, fan and a memory stick in the last slot. This to rule out case / and or standoffs being involved.

I can't see bios version being an issue. The board supports your cpu from manufacture.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Alright cool I remembered! I googled bench testing and it mentioned starting my motherboard with a screwdriver? Is that dangerous? I fried many motherboards over the course of my life touching them to metal. (I dont use a wrist strap while building because my trailer has hardwood floors but sometimes even touches motherboards to a case has fried them before)

But yet also I've made the mistake not putting pegs into a case and laid a motherboard to bare metal before and had the motherboard be fine (I dont do any of this now of course this was the course of me learning over the years. Like I said I started doing this when I was a kid)

Anyway if a screw driver is safe I will update you tomorrow. If not how can I start the motherboard? Theres no power switch on this asus board unfortunately Cant I just hook the case up? You know hook up the power switch reset switch..etc?

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Thanks! My wife and I just benched the new motherboard and it seems to be working no solid red light of doom. It eventually had a white light and something else (no HDD and GPU) which is fine because I didnt hook those up. I could have hooked up the GPU and saw if it POSTS but, I think it's going to POST anyway. I'll keep you updated if it POSTS or not after we build it.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 Super. Im an ASUS fanboy and buy almost strictly everything ASUS even though I could have bought a EVGA 2080 TI at the time for a few $$$ mors. I fixed it, we reseated the video card and it took about a minute to POST but, it did. Build is lightning fast I love it. One objection though, the screen is VERY small.ive been having a really hard time seeing lately but, the screen on the monitor is VERY tiny. Forgive me, I forget exactly what model monitor I have I bought it years ago. But it's a 165 hz ASUS 1440p monitor anyway. The monitor and card hooked up to my other build wasn't this tiny. How can I fix it without changing the screen resolution? I like 2560x1440 usually while gaming. But usually 2560x1440 is not this small. I downloaded the latest GPU drivers from nvidia and it has the same problem.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
Oh great, getting there eventually ;)

Can change txt and icon size in Windows. Forget exactly where it is. Along the lines of personal preferences/ appearances or accessibility.

I found it! I apologize, I am not up to date on all of the features of windows 10 yet. It came out 5 years ago. It's not exactly the same as before but it will do because the next size up is way too big. All is well now.

Neostarwcc

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2013
That could quite easily now make the mainboard equally suspect as well.....

Yup it was the motherboard, the computer is working now. I just have to try to get some of my money back for the extra parts I invested over the last week. Hopefully NewEgg doesn't confirm that the motherboard being faulty wasn't due to an error of ours. If it is, I'm going to have to try to sell it on ebay as "for parts" and barely get anything for it.

I honestly don't know how to advertise the old CPU, I'd hate to say it works and is like new and find out that it was faulty too. I almost just want to keep it in a safe place and give it to my wife when she wants to upgrade to 10th gen too.

TRENDING THREADS