[SOLVED] i7-10700 unplayable with Turbo Boost

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Hey all, so I've spent the last week or so trying to diagnose my problem(stuttering after a short time in game, in which time GPU usage drops) and found a fix today that involves disabling Turbo Boost in my motherboard's BIOS to ensure that my processor isn't A. exceeding the power limit set(which, according to HWinfo, it was) and B. going "too fast"(?) for my motherboard.

What I'm hoping to have answered is whether a new motherboard, obviously one more inclined for hitting faster speeds, will fix my issue. Although disabling Turbo Boost does seem to fix my issue, I know that without Turbo Boost I'm not getting the most out of my system. I originally thought I might've gotten unlucky with my 3080 but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Now I'm thinking that a newer, more robust motherboard will solve this issue.

If anyone knows if this will solve my issue or has any suggestions for a new socket 1200 motherboard that will allow i7-10700 Turbo Boost, please let me know, thanks!

Motherboard I've been looking at getting: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YN...-atx-lga1200-motherboard-mpg-z490-gaming-plus

System Specs:
Windows 10
i7-10700 @2.9GHz(4.4GHz turbo)
MSI RTX 3080 VENTUS 10GB
2x8GB DDR4 2667MHz RAM
ASRock H410m/ac
APG Apex Gold 80+ 750W PSU
Games I had issues with were played on a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe and other 500 MB/s read and write SSDs
Games played on AoC G2460 144hz 1080p monitor, with a 1080p 60hz BenQ second monitor for hardware monitoring, Discord, YouTube, etc.

Hey there,

What cooler do you have on the CPU? If you are disabling turbo and it works, it's very possible your CPU is throttling under normal (turbo enabled) usage.
Monitor your temps under load with HWMon/Info. Reset values before testing and watch your CPU speeds to see if they are dialling back from max turbo.

Ozone123

Reputable
Jan 28, 2017
Hey there,

What cooler do you have on the CPU? If you are disabling turbo and it works, it's very possible your CPU is throttling under normal (turbo enabled) usage.
Monitor your temps under load with HWMon/Info. Reset values before testing and watch your CPU speeds to see if they are dialling back from max turbo.
I initially thought the same things but the temps are pretty good as far as I understand, the CPU never goes above 60C and usually only stays around 55C or less under load. The cooler I have on it is a AiO radiator and pump water cooler, I believe 120mm or 140mm, and it seems to get the job done. As far as the thermal throttling, HWinfo says that no thermal throttling is occurring, only that the "Core X Power Limit Exceeded: Yes" on the CPU for all 8 cores.

A screenshot of HWinfo after about a 10 minute session of GTA V max settings 1080p(Power limit exceeded in the left sidebar: View: https://imgur.com/a/IUbxIo0