[SOLVED] i7 10700k Boost Clock

ScottJWalker

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2014
I'm struggling when running single-threaded workloads and never hitting the full boost clock. I believe because windows is sipping a little from every last core and making sure I never reach 5.1 Ghz on the core my heavily single-threaded game is running on.

Any way to encourage windows to run on a single core and have my windowed game run on the other?

Solution
I'd advise on checking to see if you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then check and see if you have the latest version for Windows 10 on the platform. We're currently on version 20H2. Make and model of your PSU, CPU cooler and the case as well as it's airflow? You might want to use HWMonitor and see what sort of temps you're seeing when you can't reach the processor's boost clock. Just an FYI, the max frequency for Boost is 5.1GHz, often times it's slightly below this in the real world.

Speaking of world, what game are you taxing the platform for single threaded work loads?

Lutfij

Titan
I'd advise on checking to see if you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then check and see if you have the latest version for Windows 10 on the platform. We're currently on version 20H2. Make and model of your PSU, CPU cooler and the case as well as it's airflow? You might want to use HWMonitor and see what sort of temps you're seeing when you can't reach the processor's boost clock. Just an FYI, the max frequency for Boost is 5.1GHz, often times it's slightly below this in the real world.

Speaking of world, what game are you taxing the platform for single threaded work loads?

Solution
You may feel your game is single threaded, but, WIndows is not...

Run CPU-Z/bench/ 'bench CPU' which will run single and multicore benchmarks....

You might see 5.1 GHz within the former...

(I'd also turn off assorted power limits with the BIOS if any are present/enabled...)