[SOLVED] i7-10700k CPU Runs at 80C-85C in Cinebench R23 Multi-Core, Is This Proper?

Maalikm

Reputable
Apr 30, 2016
Howdy y'all! I've recently built a Intel i7-10700k based system, and I'm having concerns about my temperatures.

The CPU is installed on a Gigabyte Arorus Pro AX motherboard and is cooled with a bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler with Artic MX-4 thermal paste.
Here is a photo of the thermal paste application: (https://postimg.cc/wtCxGzxw)

The system rests in a Meshify C case with three intake and one intake fans.
Here is a photo of the entire build: (https://postimg.cc/YG8rqWfs)

According to the Motherboard BIOS readout, OpenHardwareMonitor, and CPUID HWMonitor, the CPU package rests at 35C-45C when at idle, and at 50C-65C when playing games or when running Cinebench R23 Single Core.

However, when running Cinebench R23 Multicore or Fold@Home using all cores, the CPU will run at 80C with spikes above 85C.

Is this proper for a i7-10700k?
If not:
  • Do I need to just remount the cooler?
  • Did I use too little or too much thermal paste? Do I need to use a better paste?
  • Do I need to replace the cooler with an AIO?
  • Do I need to replace the CPU?
Thanks in advance for any advice y'all can give!

Solution
1)Probably not.
2)The excess paste will get forced out the sides anyway, so I wouldn't say you used too much; wasted would be a better word.
3)The differences between the best and worst name brand pastes is peanuts. As long as you have a popular brand. The heatsink and fans are what do the bulk of the work - the paste is just a bridge connecting them to the IHS.
4)Not necessarily.
5)No.

Monitor your clock speeds. The Gigabyte mobo may be applying a performance tweaked profile.
Under lighter loads, you should see 5.0-5.1ghz on just 1 or 2 cores.
Under heavy loads - like Cinebench - you should see 4.7ghz across all cores, at least until PL2 expires(56seconds).

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Probably not.
2)The excess paste will get forced out the sides anyway, so I wouldn't say you used too much; wasted would be a better word.
3)The differences between the best and worst name brand pastes is peanuts. As long as you have a popular brand. The heatsink and fans are what do the bulk of the work - the paste is just a bridge connecting them to the IHS.
4)Not necessarily.
5)No.

Monitor your clock speeds. The Gigabyte mobo may be applying a performance tweaked profile.
Under lighter loads, you should see 5.0-5.1ghz on just 1 or 2 cores.
Under heavy loads - like Cinebench - you should see 4.7ghz across all cores, at least until PL2 expires(56seconds).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS