[SOLVED] i7 10700k or Ryzen 7 3800x

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone here could help me decide what to choose between these 2.

I'm using i5-7600k right now paired with a GTX 1070 and recently, a friend of mine gifted me a 1440p 144hz monitor.

I use my PC mainly for gaming and now I'm experiencing the bottleneck of my CPU hitting 100% almost all the time when playing COD Modern Warfare and giving me the annoying stutters. I haven't had this problem before since I only play at 1080p 60hz with vsync, but now whenever the game goes 75fps+ I'm screwed.
I tried locking the FPS to 60 but its not enjoyable anymore since I had the taste of high refresh rates.

I had my processor eversince 7th gen was released and fortunately, I was able to save up on the past years and i could afford either of the 2 that I mentioned but since there are mixed recommendations everywhere, I can't make up my mind.

I OC my CPU all time and I love the high clocks of Intel, however Ryzen is known for their backward compatibility motherboards which could help me save a lot when upgrading (specially that Ryzen 4000 is expected to be released this year)

PS: If Nvidia releases their cards this year, i'll be getting their 3080 variant immediately (non-Ti)

Thanks in advance and more power!

Last edited:
Solution
If you are looking towards a 3xxx series graphics card and a top end build, buy a i7-10700K
Read some reviews.
Here is one:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700k/16.html

As to compatibility, the truth is that most will upgrade their motherboard whenever they upgrade the cpu. You could have, for instance upgraded to a i7-7700K on your current motherboard.

Buy what you need now.
The future will always bring new and better products.
the 7600K's mere 4 threads often suffer from 'substandard minimum FPS' issues compared to more modern CPUs...(100% usage is a fact of life with quad thread CPUs)

I think you'd likely be happy with any of the above CPUs mentioned, although the R5-3600 is an excellent value currently when it can be obtained near it's $167 'on-sale' price... (It will be interesting to see what the 3600XT brings to the table; certainly, the 10700K, although not cheap, will give the most headroom for better GPUs later, although the R5-3600 path allows potentially an R7-4700X/4800X path later...

Good luck with your decision...

Reactions: brendz1993

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Or You can just buy Ryzen 5-3600 and OC it to 4.5ghz if your lucky.

1JESCDK.png

But if your going for high end cpu.. like Ryzen 7 3800x...there no need to OC.. I mean you can run game fast enough with high end gpu + nvme drive.

Ryzen 3600 stock voltage is 1.4- 1.45 LOL that undervolt and still manage to reach 4.5ghz

Ive seen a lot of Intel ocing their voltage up to 1.45 even way back then and go no problem.

Keep in mind Ryzen vcore never goes to 1.4v or higher when using all the cores and threads, and when it goes that high is usually for a few seconds and only 1 or 2 cores. So I will be really carefull keeping the impresive 4.5GHz all core OC with 1.384 volts. If its stable, its is impresive.

Reactions: Makaveli

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Ok, just trying to help prevent premature degradation. Good luck.

Im using IG Thermal Pad :) Does not degrade like thermal paste.

Keep in mind Ryzen vcore never goes to 1.4v or higher when using all the cores and threads, and when it goes that high is usually for a few seconds and only 1 or 2 cores. So I will be really carefull keeping the impresive 4.5GHz all core OC with 1.384 volts. If its stable, its is impresive.

I had that same Cooler on your Sig DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GTE before.. with 3 intake fan in front panel case. You could get 4.2Ghz safe with that air cooler.:) stable temp 38 idle 60-70 load ingame, using stock volt on bios..but u must not have ryzen master installed you can go bios change cpu volt to 1.05 for 4.0ghz :)

Last edited:
If you are looking towards a 3xxx series graphics card and a top end build, buy a i7-10700K
Read some reviews.
Here is one:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700k/16.html

As to compatibility, the truth is that most will upgrade their motherboard whenever they upgrade the cpu. You could have, for instance upgraded to a i7-7700K on your current motherboard.

Buy what you need now.
The future will always bring new and better products.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@gamenadez @GarrettL
The degradation issue with Ryzen has to do with high current draw during heavy loads - nothing to do with thermal pads either.

Normally, the cpu regulates current draw on it's own. When the user manually overclocks, the cpu loses the ability to do this.
Stock
Lighter loads: high voltage and high current, but few threads are active. Cpu frequently boosts active threads to the advertised max.
Heavy loads: low voltage and low current, most or all threads are active. Cpu will try to boost all active threads as close to the advertised boost, depending on power and thermal headroom.

Manual OC
Lighter loads: low voltage and high current, but few threads are active. Active cpu threads now just sit at the set core frequency, which in the case of most Ryzen 3000s, is lower than the advertised boost; a small loss of some single core performance.
Heavy loads: low voltage and high current, most or all threads are active. Cpu runs all active threads at whatever the user set, usually higher than what the cpu does on stock; a small gain in multi-core performance.

What I have underlined is the core issue. That is not sustainable for everyday use, and is what has led to some people breaking down their cpus within a matter of months.

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Manual OC
Lighter loads: low voltage and high current, but few threads are active. Active cpu threads now just sit at the set core frequency, which in the case of most Ryzen 3000s, is lower than the advertised boost; a small loss of some single core performance.
Heavy loads: low voltage and high current, most or all threads are active. Cpu runs all active threads at whatever the user set, usually higher than what the cpu does on stock; a small gain in multi-core performance.

What I have underlined is the core issue. That is not sustainable for everyday use, and is what has led to some people breaking down their cpus within a matter of months.

Even at Stock Settings on Ryzen 3600 HWInfo. Image Below is Stock Ryzen 3600 at Full Load. Pretty much when you play triple AAA Games you will be over 1.2-1.3 volts on all core.
View: https://i.imgur.com/Ojshlzb.jpg

All CPU does have degradation over time specially when you are using stock cooler and dried thermal paste. It does not matter if its OC or NOT.. Do you think CPU Company make a CPU that last for lifetime? Then they wont make money out of it..

I still have my intel 6700k that is oc on 4.5ghz @ 1.36v with hyper 212 on it. that i used for 3yrs of daily usage with avg of gaming 4-6hrs a day on WoW..I did so many stress test on this cpu and still alive..if i had better cooling i probably able to get it to 4.8ghz at that voltage..

TLDR; if you have good cooling solution, you wont have to worry about 1.2-1.3v it wont kill your cpu on daily usage.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Even at Stock Settings on Ryzen 3600 HWInfo. Image Below is Stock Ryzen 3600 at Full Load. Pretty much when you play triple AAA Games you will be over 1.2-1.3 volts on all core.
View: https://i.imgur.com/Ojshlzb.jpg

All CPU does have degradation over time specially when you are using stock cooler and dried thermal paste. It does not matter if its OC or NOT.. Do you think CPU Company make a CPU that last for lifetime? Then they wont make money out of it..

I still have my intel 6700k that is oc on 4.5ghz @ 1.36v with hyper 212 on it. that i used for 3yrs of daily usage with avg of gaming 4-6hrs a day on WoW..I did so many stress test on this cpu and still alive..if i had better cooling i probably able to get it to 4.8ghz at that voltage..

TLDR; if you have good cooling solution, you wont have to worry about 1.2-1.3v it wont kill your cpu on daily usage.
/woosh

I'm glad some people got the point... also, to compare an Intel cpu to a Ryzen one, was a bad move.

You do you, sir/madam, you do you... myself, and others will continue to advertise against manually overclocking Ryzen 3000; it's an inferior performance tweak, and just isn't worth it.

Last edited:

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
/woosh

I'm glad some people got the point... also, to compare an Intel cpu to a Ryzen one, was a bad move.

You do you, sir/madam, you do you... myself, and others will continue to advertise against manually overclocking Ryzen 3000; it's an inferior performance tweak, and just isn't worth it.

I know comparing intel cpu/ryzen is a bad move. But hey that what I have. Im just saying that even my Intel voltage is much higher than ryzen it still alive. like I said as long you have a good temperature you are good even at 1.3v.

The guy who killed his CPU Ryzen 3600 OC at 1.325voltage was stressing test at Highest temperature at 95Celsius Degree for multiple hours yes he was using stock cooler... If you OC at 1.325v then your temperature stay under 70c for multiple hours of course it wont kill your cpu..

When I did mine at 4.5ghz at 1.384v using 360mm aio cooler. The cpu temp sit in 28-30 at idle..when I play game for 3-4 hours such as RDR2, highest temperature it reach was somewhere around 55-60c..BF1 Ultra I do get 51c..the only 1 time I see it broke 60+ degree was on COD WARZONE at Ultra settings of hours gaming.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I know comparing intel cpu/ryzen is a bad move. But hey that what I have. Im just saying that even my Intel voltage is much higher than ryzen it still alive. like I said as long you have a good temperature you are good even at 1.3v.

The guy who killed his CPU Ryzen 3600 OC at 1.325voltage was stressing test at Highest temperature at 95Celsius Degree for multiple hours... If you OC at 1.325v then your temperature stay under 70c for multiple hours of course it wont kill your cpu..

When I did mine at 4.5ghz at 1.384v using 360mm aio cooler. The cpu temp sit in 28-30 at idle..when I play game for 3-4 hours such as RDR2, highest temperature it reach was somewhere around 55-60c..BF1 Ultra I do get 51c..the only 1 time I see it broke 60+ degree was on COD WARZONE at Ultra settings of hours gaming.
Apples to oranges - the fabrication process on those cpus is completely different.

As for 'that guy': it's because they followed some bloody misinformed Ryzen 3000 guide saying that 1.325 was safe for everyday usage.
A)It's not the voltage, because the cpu easily does higher than that at stock.
B)It's not the temperature, unless the user removes the failsafes - or doesn't even install a cooler!
C)It's the CURRENT, the flow of which the cpu no longer regulates on it's own - it's the user's responsibility, but the user can only do so much with lowering the voltage...
Pro tip: the cpu handles the current far better than what the user has access to.

Doesn't matter if you're getting 4.5ghz at 1.28v while maxing at 75C if the cpu runs 10A out of spec every day... and then 4 months down the road, it can't run 4.5ghz or less anymore - or maybe even kicks the bucket.
But perhaps you're prepared for that.
A great cooler + memory tweaking beats manual OC on Ryzen 3000, and with no risks.

Reactions: GarrettL and RodroX

gamenadez

Commendable
Feb 17, 2018
Doesn't matter if you're getting 4.5ghz at 1.28v while maxing at 75C if the cpu runs 10A out of spec every day... and then 4 months down the road, it can't run 4.5ghz or less anymore - or maybe even kicks the bucket.
But perhaps you're prepared for that.
A great cooler + memory tweaking beats manual OC on Ryzen 3000, and with no risks.

But you see. Having all core run at same speed is much better than auto :). Indeed you need a great cooler. like I said the guy killed his cpu using stock cooler at 95c for multiple hours of stressing. That different when you have nice cooler.

Yea 10A ? for real..New Ryzen 3600 limit is 200A. How on earth a 10A would kill my CPU in daily usage..
zwpdaI2.png

Pretty sure it wont kill your comp if you stay 75c under load. Ive seen people with stock cooler reaching 80c and still have no problem and mine stay under 60c with 360mm aio cooling.

Stressing and gaming are different.. just because you oc it doesnt mean that all core will be 100% usage while playing games..

Here Default Stock Settings Non-OC Ryzen 3600. While Playing BF1. As you can see when its on Auto. It pushes CPU Voltage on all core at 1.356v

YtFnjYb.jpg

And You saying its not safe to play at lower voltage? -.- When Stock itself have higher voltage usage. I play at 1+hrs on stock settings, it does not lower the voltage at all. So it better to have Manually OC it at 4.2ghz even at 1.1volt, compare to stock that uses 1.35v

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
:rolleyes:
No point in dragging this on.

@brendz1993
If you're still watching this thread, and are still interested in a Ryzen 3000 cpu, don't do manual OC on these chips.
Any manual OC you could get is inferior to the following:
-Going overkill on the cooling; the Ryzen cpus will boost higher with greater thermal headroom.
-Dual channel memory kit of 3600-3733mhz and CL16/17, look up Ryzen Dram Calculator guides to tweak your memory further.
-Win.

brendz1993

Honorable
May 1, 2015
:rolleyes:
No point in dragging this on.

@brendz1993
If you're still watching this thread, and are still interested in a Ryzen 3000 cpu, don't do manual OC on these chips.
Any manual OC you could get is inferior to the following:
-Going overkill on the cooling; the Ryzen cpus will boost higher with greater thermal headroom.
-Dual channel memory kit of 3600-3733mhz and CL16/17, look up Ryzen Dram Calculator guides to tweak your memory further.
-Win.

I have a custom loop on my current setup so does this mean that if I'm going to choose Ryzen, the max boost clock will be higher and/or stable?

Highest overclock on any processor will be limited either by temperature or by the level of voltage you will tolerate.

Better binned chips will achieve higher multipliers at a given voltage.

In the case of ryzen, they come mostly at their limits with little headroom for more.
A good custom loop will likely keep your temperatures in line, making the max voltage your limit.

There is less experience with intel 10th gen, but your experience there should be the same. Your custom loop will make the max oc limit be the voltage you will tolerate.
There is some binning on intel too. The i9 chips are better binned than i7.
But, I think there is more variability with intel bins. If you want 5.3 look to the I9.