[SOLVED] I7-10700k Power usage - Will my 650W PSU suffice?

JeroenBeunckens

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU since I'm constantly running at 100% CPU usage due to my RTX2080.

Here is my current build:
PSU: evga g3 650w
Storage: 1TB SSD and 250GB SSD NVME
GPU: RTX 2080
CPU: Intel I5 7600K
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z270-H

Since the new 10 series Intel is coming out this month, I was thinking about grabbing them one off the shelves since they are the newest ones and are lowering their prices a bit (hopefully).
I noticed 125w of CPU usage and people are complaining about it, reasonable because the 3800x requires 105w.

The reason why I'm posting this thread is because I'm afraid my PSU won't be sufficient for my build.
Why I'm not sure is due to following reasons:
  • CPU jump in wattage usage from my 7600K, 91 vs 125, does this actually mean 35 watts are needed extra?
  • I suspect my motherboard uses some power, will my new one (Z490-E) require more?
  • I do sim racing, so my VR headset and Logitech G29 will require some power aswell?
  • Am I not already close to the limit?
I used multiple PSU calculators online, but they range far from eachother (used 9700k as an example, knowing I need a little more headroom):
The 10 series is still debatable. I know I could wait for 4gen Ryzen (september 2020), 3gen Ryzen is the last motherboard socket type so I'd rather not invest in 3gen.

Thanks in advance for the input, I appreciate it.

Solution
It's actually 3rd gen Ryzen, not 4th that's coming. Ryzen 2xxx is the same as 1xxx, but with the improvements to the IMC built in. Ryzen 1 was so bad at launch that it needed massive patching to work right. Ryzen 2 are really the 3xxx chips.

I find it off that you don't want to go ryzen due to board issues and drop in replacements when Intel requires a new board nearly every time. And if you are going to have to buy one anyway you might as well get one that lasts? Food for thought.

The problem with psu calculators is if they go low, or is you buy a substandard unit! You'll think they are bad. Our like with your bequiet link they make the units and there is more money for them if they sell you a bigger unit. 125 cpu, xxx gpu, with...

4745454b

Titan
It's actually 3rd gen Ryzen, not 4th that's coming. Ryzen 2xxx is the same as 1xxx, but with the improvements to the IMC built in. Ryzen 1 was so bad at launch that it needed massive patching to work right. Ryzen 2 are really the 3xxx chips.

I find it off that you don't want to go ryzen due to board issues and drop in replacements when Intel requires a new board nearly every time. And if you are going to have to buy one anyway you might as well get one that lasts? Food for thought.

The problem with psu calculators is if they go low, or is you buy a substandard unit! You'll think they are bad. Our like with your bequiet link they make the units and there is more money for them if they sell you a bigger unit. 125 cpu, xxx gpu, with another 50W for everything else. Everything else is what's found in a normal build. If you are powering a TEC or higher end pump you'll need to add those in as well. You mentioned having a 2080, which has an official spec of 215W. Let's use 250W here in case you have a non standard card or you do a bit of OCing.

125W +250W +50W for everything else means your gaming draw will be "at most" 425W. You should probably add a bit more for a VR head set. It's powered by usb so it's only pulling 5V, so it won't be adding tons. When gaming your cpu and gpu aren't likely to be pegged at 100% load. Your actual draw will likely be 350-400W, but we plan for worst case. You don't want your psu to be at 100% when gaming, so a 450W unit is out. Some argue that you shouldn't load a psu over 50%. Using that figure you'd have to buy an 850W unit. I personally feel it's ok to go to 75-80% of output. So a 425W draw needs a 550W minimum.(425W is 80% of a 531W unit.) Personally I'd get a 650W. I'm not sure how bad the 2080 spikes, but you could have issues with smaller units. The g3 650W should work.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Most mobos draw around 100-150 watt

100% wrong. There is no chance a board would use that much. I'm not sure where you see the 2080 pulling 300W as well. I looked out up before posting, 215W.

Not sure where you are finding your figures but they are way off.

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
100% wrong. There is no chance a board would use that much. I'm not sure where you see the 2080 pulling 300W as well. I looked out up before posting, 215W.

You're totally right, my bad. For the mobo, the figures were just from a quick search that stated that an average mobo would draw 50-150W, but I leant towards the higher end considering that it's quite a beefy motherboard compared to others in its generation. As for the GPU, I referred to a similar thread in which someone said that the most an RTX 2080 would use is around 300W.

Sorry, I didn't mean to misinform. I'll be sure to do some more fact-checking, and less taking first search results at face-value. Sorry OP.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Reactions: Phaaze88

4745454b

Titan
The model does matter. It's why I left the VR figure out completely because s/he didn't say which one s/he was using. I'm surprised to see any 2080s above 250-275, as that power draw is where a 2080TI sits.

Age of the PSU does matter. S/he didn't say when it was bought or how long it's been used. I also forgot to mention that if you are OCing the CPU and GPU you'll need more. The thing about those 125W Intel CPUs is historically when OC'd they can pull 250W. If OCing everything then you are looking at 250W for the CPU and 350-400W for the GPU. You'll need 650W just for those two. You would be looking at needing a 850-1kW at that point.

Reactions: Phaaze88

JeroenBeunckens

Reputable
Feb 10, 2017
As it seems like I missed some vital information, here is more:
  • Current PSU I'm using is EVGA 650 W G2 GOLD and is 2 years old.
    2 years don't seem that much to me so keeping it would be logical in my head (that's why I am making this thread and not just buying a beefier one). In case that way of thinking is inorrect, please correct me.
  • I'm using the Valve Index as VR Headset
  • Current GPU is Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8G
    According to this information, peak power should be around 260W

The problem with psu calculators is if they go low, or is you buy a substandard unit! You'll think they are bad. Our like with your bequiet link they make the units and there is more money for them if they sell you a bigger unit. 125 cpu, xxx gpu, with another 50W for everything else. Everything else is what's found in a normal build. If you are powering a TEC or higher end pump you'll need to add those in as well. You mentioned having a 2080, which has an official spec of 215W. Let's use 250W here in case you have a non standard card or you do a bit of OCing.

125W +250W +50W for everything else means your gaming draw will be "at most" 425W. You should probably add a bit more for a VR head set. It's powered by usb so it's only pulling 5V, so it won't be adding tons. When gaming your cpu and gpu aren't likely to be pegged at 100% load. Your actual draw will likely be 350-400W, but we plan for worst case. You don't want your psu to be at 100% when gaming, so a 450W unit is out. Some argue that you shouldn't load a psu over 50%. Using that figure you'd have to buy an 850W unit. I personally feel it's ok to go to 75-80% of output. So a 425W draw needs a 550W minimum.(425W is 80% of a 531W unit.) Personally I'd get a 650W. I'm not sure how bad the 2080 spikes, but you could have issues with smaller units. The g3 650W should work.

Thank you for load of information, really appreciate it.
If I want to buy a CPU the coming weeks, I'm screwed motherboard-wise anyway. If I would buy Ryzen 3xxx, next Ryzen release won't fit because they stated that they would only support the AM4 chipset until 2020. As for Intel, we don't know how many generations will use the new socket, but persumably 2 again. The only solution to this problem seems like waiting for Ryzen 4xxx or am I missing something?

I wouldn’t use a power supply that’s a few years old in a newly built high end pc, why chance it?

This is not newly built. I only want to upgrade my CPU but have to upgrade the motherboard aswell because of different sockets.

The model does matter. It's why I left the VR figure out completely because s/he didn't say which one s/he was using. I'm surprised to see any 2080s above 250-275, as that power draw is where a 2080TI sits.

Age of the PSU does matter. S/he didn't say when it was bought or how long it's been used. I also forgot to mention that if you are OCing the CPU and GPU you'll need more. The thing about those 125W Intel CPUs is historically when OC'd they can pull 250W. If OCing everything then you are looking at 250W for the CPU and 350-400W for the GPU. You'll need 650W just for those two. You would be looking at needing a 850-1kW at that point.

I'm not looking into overclocking my GPU, didn't know this was often done and I just have stock cooling on it anyway. I want to overclock my CPU a little bit because otherwise I'll be missing out on free performance. I own a Cryorig H5 Universal CPU cooler.