Question i7 10700k vs i9 10850k

Jun 14, 2020
Hey
i want to buy a new processor and got stuck between these two choices, i have the i9 10850k and i7 10700k in mind, the i9 costs 130 dollars more and i just dont know if it is worth it.
If i buy the i7 i could use that extra 130 to save up for when the 3080's are back in stock or i could just buy the i9.
So my question is, is the i9 worth spending 130 dollars more than the i7( i only use my pc for gaming really).
Thanks in advance :)

Hey
i want to buy a new processor and got stuck between these two choices, i have the i9 10850k and i7 10700k in mind, the i9 costs 130 dollars more and i just dont know if it is worth it.
If i buy the i7 i could use that extra 130 to save up for when the 3080's are back in stock or i could just buy the i9.
So my question is, is the i9 worth spending 130 dollars more than the i7( i only use my pc for gaming really).
The i9 is expensive but it's worth the money for a long run you might not need 10 cores today but tomorrow definitely, also what is the price of i9? An alternative could be 5900x

Hey
why don't you go AMD?

i did make a pc partpicker list :), and i just wanted to stay with intel because i saw there were a nice offer on the i7, will i loose much perfomance if i go with the i7 instead of the i9?
I recommend you to get the i9 it will serve you a longer time and in some title there won't be huge difference and on some noticable. And the value with 5900x could increase more if at right price can you link the pc part picker list

Reactions: Jennerthebenner
Why?

8 cores 16 threads.

I bought the 10600K and expect it to last 5 / 6 years. My 4790k did.

Edit If you talk about the new Xboxes that is a completely different platform and has really nothing to do with PC gaming.
Well ik the pc is used for gaming purpose only and will do AAA games today but next 3 years of AAA games definitely consume more than 8c today it'll be fine tomorrow i don't see alot of power in it. Also if esports is your thing Yes it'll do ,AAA-nope i don't think so. And about your i5 10600k Yes games will be fun but on i7/i9 it would be better, smoother throw on some background task like discord, twitch start streaming you'll notice stutters on the i5 and i7 it would be more smoother and remember i said games will get more demanding then in few years even i9 will show it's age thus a 12 core 5900x is also available for same price. And i know comparing the pc with Xbox is vague as games are heavily optimised for console but not in PC as everyone has different stuff. Also you expect the i5 to work 5/6 years, will it? That's a different topic.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well ik the pc is used for gaming purpose only and will do AAA games today but next 3 years of AAA games definitely consume more than 8c today it'll be fine tomorrow i don't see alot of power in it. Also if esports is your thing Yes it'll do ,AAA-nope i don't think so. And about your i5 10600k Yes games will be fun but on i7/i9 it would be better, smoother throw on some background task like discord, twitch start streaming you'll notice stutters on the i5 and i7 it would be more smoother and remember i said games will get more demanding then in few years even i9 will show it's age thus a 12 core 5900x is also available for same price. And i know comparing the pc with Xbox is vague as games are heavily optimised for console but not in PC as everyone has different stuff. Also you expect the i5 to work 5/6 years, will it? That's a different topic.
Glad your crystal ball is working.

Edit. It's not good for business to make games that people can't play. If you require more than 16 threads you probably loose 90% of the potential sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: General Kenobi
Hey
Worth is something only YOU can determine.
If you have a budget, the less expensive i7-10700K would be my choice.
If you do not have budget limitations, look at the i9-10900K.

16 threads of the i7-10700K is plenty. Games today do not make effective use of more than 4-6 threads.
For years, many threads have been touted for gaming.
I have my doubts.
Realize that if a game developer requires more than 8 threads to run, they will not sell many such games.
You may see task manager activity on all threads, but that is just windows spreading out the activity of a few threads across all available cores.
Multiplayer with many participants is the main exception.

The 10th gen K suffix processors will all turbo at stock to 5.0 or near it.
With overclocking, that can be applied to all cores.

Fast action games depend first on the graphics card.
You are pointing towards a 3080 which is a great card.
But, from the reviews I have seen, it is only appropriate if you have aspirations to game at 4k resolution.

You can help the budget if you look more to 3070 for 1440P gaming or even the 3060ti if you will game at 1080P

It seems you had a part picker list, but it is somehow missing or I did not see it.
Can you post your build?

Glad your crystal ball is working.

Edit. It's not good for business to make games that people can't play. If you require more than 16 threads you probably loose 90% of the potential sales.
Isn't one of the reason why higher end cpu are getting higher core count so that they can increase the core count in midrange cpu, also i agree that the company will face a loss if games use 16 threads it'll be a nightmare for all, but i don't see any reason that an i9 is not worth for future atleast 3 years from now. If Zen3 can launch a 6c/12t for$300 in 2020 i don't see why in future they can't release a 8c chip at $325, we never know something like Zen happens again. All of the participants are right here in this thread just everyone's metric and decision are different which is good many learn and realise pros and cons of each opinion. As @Jennerthebenner asked is i9 worth paying extra i feel Yes for a long term purpose with doing multitask and stuff and it'll be long before we are CPU bottlenecked, thus i also recommended a 5900x if available, also in pc pc part picker the price for i9 10850k is available for $389(ik it's not the same for this particular person but in general) i don't see a better deal and come on 10c chip at 5Ghz will age well.
Also for @Jennerthebenner
I7 10700k@ $465
I9 10850@ $595
Dividing them by 3 years for i7 and and 5 years for i9
We get,
$155 per year for i7
$119 per year for i9 with extra 2 years, with this you don't only get better performance today but tomorrow as well, what if games don't reach 70% load on cpu with i7? Well then better for i9 more smoother experience for long time and much more saving per year. (Now if you can't afford get the i7-simple but if it's possible to swing i don't see why not to). So basically my point is i9 will age well and thus is worth the money. Everyone has different opinions here and that's awesome.

Jun 14, 2020

16 threads of the i7-10700K is plenty. Games today do not make effective use of more than 4-6 threads.
I have my doubts.
Realize that if a game developer requires more than 8 threads to run, they will not sell many such games.
You may see task manager activity on all threads, but that is just windows spreading out the activity of a few threads across all available cores.

But, from the reviews I have seen, it is only appropriate if you have aspirations to game at 4k resolution.

You can help the budget if you look more to 3070 for 1440P gaming or even the 3060ti if you will game at 1080P

It seems you had a part picker list, but it is somehow missing or I did not see it.
Can you post your build?

I have my doubts.

Can you post your build?
Sure 😁
And thanks for the information
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nGNNvf