[SOLVED] I7-10700k with air cooler no overclocking

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
I just bought I7-10700k and I'm wondering that this

COOLER MASTER HYPER 212

would be enough for this CPU?
I'm not planning on overclocking it for now.

And is there any recommendation for an air cooling that the price is around 50$?

Thank you all.

Solution
PL2 is fullload?
Power Limit 1 is for all threads under full load at base frequency
Power Limit 2 is for all threads under full load with boost frequencies involved
Tau is the duration(seconds) for the cpu to run at PL2, after which it clocks back down to PL1 temporarily.

I guess i could price up to 60$
Hmm, well...
Scythe FUMA 2 and Ninja 5... that's about it.

Jeez.. i think i'm regret buying it now..

Even not overclocking it?
Well, for the past few years, Intel's been about increasing speed, but also increasing heat load; the cooler requirements also went up. Cheap, affordable coolers doesn't really work with their current cpu line up with they way they've been going about it.
Intel and affordable doesn't...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For monster cpus such as the 10700k, the only rule of thumb is get the biggest cooling possible that fits inside your case. If the aircooler necessary is physically too tall, go with liquid, minimum of 240mm, preference 280mm or better.

Sorry, but budget is not a consideration for this. The cpu requires a certain amount of cooling ability, regardless of what you want, what it needs is different.

If your car needed 4 new tires, you get 4 new tires. Doesn't matter that you only want to spend $50.

You can waste your money on a Hyper212, and be ok for light loads, normal web surfing usage etc, but understand that in heavy gaming the cpu will spend at least 56 seconds at maximum, possibly the full 229w (if not more, depending on the motherboard). Expect temps to go through the roof and a really good chance of some thermal throttling.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Nothing as cheap as the hyper 212.
What is the make/model of your case?
You will need about 160mm for a decent air cooler.
Perhaps more important, what is the front intake capability of your case?
Any cooler needs a good supply of fresh air to let it do its job.

My case is really old one. Cooler master, 8 years ago.
However I leaves my case open on both side.

Will this causing problems in the future?

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
For monster cpus such as the 10700k, the only rule of thumb is get the biggest cooling possible that fits inside your case. If the aircooler necessary is physically too tall, go with liquid, minimum of 240mm, preference 280mm or better.

Sorry, but budget is not a consideration for this. The cpu requires a certain amount of cooling ability, regardless of what you want, what it needs is different.

If your car needed 4 new tires, you get 4 new tires. Doesn't matter that you only want to spend $50.

You can waste your money on a Hyper212, and be ok for light loads, normal web surfing usage etc, but understand that in heavy gaming the cpu will spend at least 56 seconds at maximum, possibly the full 229w (if not more, depending on the motherboard). Expect temps to go through the roof and a really good chance of some thermal throttling.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PL2 is fullload?
Power Limit 1 is for all threads under full load at base frequency
Power Limit 2 is for all threads under full load with boost frequencies involved
Tau is the duration(seconds) for the cpu to run at PL2, after which it clocks back down to PL1 temporarily.

I guess i could price up to 60$
Hmm, well...
Scythe FUMA 2 and Ninja 5... that's about it.

Well, for the past few years, Intel's been about increasing speed, but also increasing heat load; the cooler requirements also went up. Cheap, affordable coolers doesn't really work with their current cpu line up with they way they've been going about it.
Intel and affordable doesn't balance out too well anymore.
Looks like you would've been better off with a 10600K or Ryzen 3000 cpu... either would've allowed you to get by with more affordable cooling, especially a Ryzen 3000 cpu.

Here's some more, but you're not gonna like the prices - if they're even available.
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT or Silver Arrow T8
Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Reeven Okeanos
Rajintek Tisis
Noctua NH-D15S or NH-D14
Deepcool Assassin 3
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Zalman CNPS20X
Cryorig R1 Ultimate or R1 Universal

EDIT: I hadn't noticed the link to the store you're shopping from! Lemme see... priced lowest to highest...
Noctua NH-U14S
Gigabyte Aorus ATC800
Noctua NH-D15S
Deepcool Assassin 3

Last edited:
Solution