[SOLVED] i7 11700F + D15?

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019
Hello, guys.

Currently, I am running good, but old 5820K @4.3 and I am looking for the replacement since I just want something new.
For now, I am keeping as the main plan to buy i7 11700F + Z590 Vision G. I was considering the 5800X until I have built a machine for my friend, where temps were ridiculous with Kraken X63 running like a vacuumer. It was hitting 89C after the end of the loop, which is unacceptable as for me. At CP2077 it was something like 73C. 5820K is hold by D15 at 60C at the same R23 with just a very little of noise.

I don't have any plans to go with K, but I still have misunderstanding regarding the termal profile of this CPUs. The problem is in that my head is cracking due to all this mess with power limits, e.t.c. I think I just may unlock it to 125W and sit like this. I have looked trought the reviews, but everybody test it only at unregular loads where, of cource, temps would be awful. Moreover, I don't care about the energy consumption, I am only interested in keeping of my PC silent.

I am just wondering, if somebody can share their temperatures under load (something real, like Cinebench, not the Prime95 e.t.c.) with D15 or something else as good, as him.
I would be really thankful, because I am simply afraid of upgrade due to high temps of both AMD and Intel flagships for now.

Best of luck!

Solution
The comparison of Intel + AMD cpus in that manner isn't fair to either of them; architecture, IPC, die layout, etc... none of it's the same.

The 5800X is 'bad' in that the darn thing isn't configured correctly out of the box, in which they can run hotter than a 5900X - which just sounds crazy...
Your buddy needs to look up some 5800X tuning guides.
They can be reigned in, they just require more manual intervention - less so for the rest of the Ryzen 5000 stack, and it just looks bad, because users expect the darn things to work out of the box and not be a 'blazing inferno'.

Can I ask why the Z series board if you're not going with a K cpu?

I don't care about the energy consumption, I am only interested in keeping of my PC silent...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The comparison of Intel + AMD cpus in that manner isn't fair to either of them; architecture, IPC, die layout, etc... none of it's the same.

The 5800X is 'bad' in that the darn thing isn't configured correctly out of the box, in which they can run hotter than a 5900X - which just sounds crazy...
They can be reigned in, they just require more manual intervention - less so for the rest of the Ryzen 5000 stack, and it just looks bad, because users expect the darn things to work out of the box and not be a 'blazing inferno'.

I don't care about the energy consumption, I am only interested in keeping of my PC silent.
IMO, power efficiency really should be higher on users' lists.
A 5800X could be running 80C in a random heavy task pulling 160w of power, but a 11700(K) could run this same task at 70C while pulling 220w...
Energy use comes off as heat, that heat does ultimately make it's way to your room, increasing room ambient. [Room ambient increasing even a couple degrees is noticeable.]
Higher room ambient leads to prolonged use of A/C or whatever means to keep yourself cool, and electricity use isn't cheap for everyone.
This isn't even taking into account discreet gpus, which RX 6000 has RTX 30 beat there... Nvidia got bitten for going with Samsung for these gpus.
If none of this a problem, more power to you.

I am simply afraid of upgrade due to high temps of both AMD and Intel flagships for now.
Intel: leave the power limits in place, run Intel Speed Shift, and maybe roll with a negative Vcore offset. You're really not missing much after that - oh, and run Windows balanced power plan.
Things can get out of hand when you start raising/removing said power limits.
Some motherboards don't follow the Intel stock PL1 and PL2 limits, making it consume more power and run hotter than it needs to, but it's not too much trouble to go into bios and fix that.

AMD: It's really just the 5800X behaving like that, from what I've read here and there.

Solution

DarkJoney

Prominent
Nov 21, 2019

IMO, power efficiency really should be higher on users' lists.
A 5800X could be running 80C in a random heavy task pulling 160w of power, but a 11700(K) could run this same task at 70C while pulling 220w...
Energy use comes off as heat, that heat does ultimately make it's way to your room, increasing room ambient. [Room ambient increasing even a couple degrees is noticeable.]
Higher room ambient leads to prolonged use of A/C or whatever means to keep yourself cool, and electricity use isn't cheap for everyone.
This isn't even taking into account discreet gpus, which RX 6000 has RTX 30 beat there... Nvidia got bitten for going with Samsung for these gpus.
If none of this a problem, more power to you.

Intel: leave the power limits in place, run Intel Speed Shift, and maybe roll with a negative Vcore offset. You're really not missing much after that - oh, and run Windows balanced power plan.
Things can get out of hand when you start raising/removing said power limits.
Some motherboards don't follow the Intel stock PL1 and PL2 limits, making it consume more power and run hotter than it needs to, but it's not too much trouble to go into bios and fix that.

AMD: It's really just the 5800X behaving like that, from what I've read here and there.

So, what to do with 5800X to make it "acceptable"? Get rid off the PBO and roll things back to the state of 3xxx Ryzens? or..

Does it seem legit?
I am going with Z boards, simply because H and B are empty, they lack USB, I am planning to fill all the M2 slots, I wish to have onboard WiFi and dual NICs onboard as I have now at X99-UD5.

I know about the chiplets and other stuff, but in reality, I am only interested in the final result. Would you don't care if 5800X is melting while you are playing? The only reason why I am really considering the 11700 is that 5800X is a CPU from the hell.

5820K is also not so well without of the balanced powerplan and I don't see any reason to always keeping it running to the max.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Similar, but this guy goes into a bit more detail:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m3V8gcflTU

He did make a oopsie that he brings up below the video:
IMPORTANT: The TDC and EDC were in reverse in my video, IDK why I had a brainfart there, its TDC 80 and EDC 90, which most of your probably have already figured out, for those who have done it in reverse, also no problem as TDC cannot exceed EDC anyways, however that value would be quite low.

I am going with Z boards, simply because H and B are empty, they lack USB, I am planning to fill all the M2 slots, I wish to have onboard WiFi and dual NICs onboard as I have now at X99-UD5.
Gotcha.

I know about the chiplets and other stuff, but in reality, I am only interested in the final result. Would you don't care if 5800X is melting while you are playing? The only reason why I am really considering the 11700 is that 5800X is a CPU from the hell.
I would care, but I know it doesn't have to be that way, and that it can be managed - it just requires more 'elbow grease' from my end. A less 'informed' user is probably going to hate the 5800X's guts.
The 11700 isn't much better when vendors and users start raising/removing power limits.

The Ryzen 5000 cpus, by design, have very aggressive boost tables.
What either of these cpus can safely tolerate, is higher than most of our comfort zones.

Reactions: Hellfire13