[SOLVED] i7 11700k at 100C while under load even after reseating cooler

Nov 5, 2022
Hey guys!

This is my first post here so apologize if I forget to include any information. I also am not very knowledgeable about terminology and whatnot so please bear with me.

I recently noticed that my CPU is running WAY too hot while under load. I was messing around with some mods in Minecraft and noticed on the RivaTuner overlay that my CPU was at ~80% and 100C so I immediately closed the game. I tested it with Destiny 2 and Battlefield 2042 and the temps were still pretty high (~90C). Then I opened up OCCT and did some stress tests and noticed that my "CPU Package Power" (Which I assume is the total power draw from the CPU) was hitting around 240W, which sounds really high to me.

I thought that maybe the fans weren't working correctly so I booted into BIOS and made sure that they were running properly, but they seemed ok. I also checked MSI Afterburner and just cranked them up to max to see if it changed anything but it didn't. I did some research and from what I found it seemed like it was probably the cooler not being mounted properly, so I opened it up, cleaned off the old thermal paste with a folded paper towel, and reseated it. Turns out that it didn't really affect anything. I ran the same tests in OCCT and saw similar numbers. I also installed Intel XTU and AIDA64 Extreme to do more tests and just more of the same. In XTU I noticed that in the AVX, AVX2, and AVX-512 tests it was Thermal throttling, Power limit throttling, and Current/EDP limit throttling.

As far as fans go, I have 4 fans in my setup, all pointing to the back of the case (air comes in through the front and out the back); One on the back, one on my cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212), and two in the front (where a radiator would go).

My room can get pretty warm (~75f - 80f) at times, but I think it's the computer that's warming it up and not the other way around.

Specs:
CPU: i7 11700k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
GPU: RTX 3060ti
MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming B560M
CASE: NZXT H510

Sorry if I came off as ignorant at all, I'm trying to make sure I include as much as possible. Any help is appreciated, and if you need to know more just ask. I've also asked a friend about it who seems to be more in touch with this kind of trouble shooting, so I'll make sure to mention if anything useful comes out of talking with him.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution
1) In Minecraft I'm getting around 200w CPU power usage at 95c and 60% usage (keep in mind this is heavily modded), BF2042 is 160w, 80c, and ~60%.

2) Here's a link to some pictures: View: https://imgur.com/a/mATEOXd

3) Ok noted, thank you.

4) (y)

Hope this helps and thanks.
1)Dang. That's pretty much over the Hyper 212's capacity, which is about 150w. You need a new cooler, at the very least.
Whether you want to go with something like a Peerless Assassin 120 or a 280mm AIO/CLC is up to you; both have their pros and cons.

2)Looks good. (y)
3)No. While that case is negative pressure focused, that would be too much exhaust if flipped... plus, you know, the fans would be trying to blow...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)How much power is the cpu using in those games?
"Then I opened up OCCT and did some stress tests and noticed that my "CPU Package Power" (Which I assume is the total power draw from the CPU) was hitting around 240W, which sounds really high to me."
That's normal for 11700K in an app like that, Aida64, XTU, etc. Hyper 212 can't handle even close to 240w.
Games don't do that though, so you need to include games' power draw.

2)Take some pictures of the case interior and post it here. Take off the side panel before doing so.
How to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

3)NZXT's H510 is a negative pressure focused case which does not benefit from front intake fans in a typical air cooled build.
A Gamers' Nexus review and one from Greg Salazar have shown that they don't really help.

4)
My room can get pretty warm (~75f - 80f) at times, but I think it's the computer that's warming it up and not the other way around.
It's all one big circle that air conditioning just tramples over.
Energy from PC saturates the room, increasing its temperature, and some of that energy makes its way back to the PC. Rinse, repeat, until an equilibrium is met.

Nov 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you check and see what your BIOS is for your motherboard? What thermal paste did you use? What are you temps when idling, after you boot to OS GUI?

Hello and thank you! I booted into BIOS and wrote down a few things:
UEFI BIOS Ver. 0820 x64
LED EC Ver. AULA3-AR32-0207
ME FW Ver. 15.0.21.1549
PCH Stepping B1

I used Corsair TM30 Performance Thermal Paste.

Idle temps are around 40c after booting.

Hope this helps, thanks again.

Lutfij

Titan
Your idle temps are actually fine(provided you tinkered with the voltages of the processor in BIOS, i.e, an overclock). Apart from the need for updating your BIOS, your cooler isn't meant for the processor/platform, not in 2022 or beyond. I glanced over your specs initially when responding and the points Phaaze88 were what came to mind.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022
1)How much power is the cpu using in those games?
"Then I opened up OCCT and did some stress tests and noticed that my "CPU Package Power" (Which I assume is the total power draw from the CPU) was hitting around 240W, which sounds really high to me."
That's normal for 11700K in an app like that, Aida64, XTU, etc. Hyper 212 can't handle even close to 240w.
Games don't do that though, so you need to include games' power draw.

2)Take some pictures of the case interior and post it here. Take off the side panel before doing so.
How to: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/image-posting-via-imgur.3773266/

3)NZXT's H510 is a negative pressure focused case which does not benefit from front intake fans in a typical air cooled build.
A Gamers' Nexus review and one from Greg Salazar have shown that they don't really help.

4)

It's all one big circle that air conditioning just tramples over.
Energy from PC saturates the room, increasing its temperature, and some of that energy makes its way back to the PC. Rinse, repeat, until an equilibrium is met.

1) In Minecraft I'm getting around 200w CPU power usage at 95c and 60% usage (keep in mind this is heavily modded), BF2042 is 160w, 80c, and ~60%.

3) Ok noted, thank you.

4) (y)

Nov 5, 2022
Your idle temps are actually fine(provided you tinkered with the voltages of the processor in BIOS, i.e, an overclock). Apart from the nee for updating your BIOS, your cooler isn't meant for the processor/platform, not in 2022 or beyond. I glanced over your specs initially when responding and the points Phaaze88 were what came to mind.

I tried looking into CPU Overclocking a year ago but gave up when I realized it didn't really seem worth it. As far as I remember, I don't believe I changed anything but I could be mistaken. I also believe I updated the BIOS around the same time but ran into a ton of issues and ended up downgrading it to the version that came with it.

That's a shame that the cooler isn't doing it. I did a lot of research and tried to get the right one but I must have missed something. Do you know any good coolers that would work?

Nov 5, 2022

Would it be worth flipping those front fans around or do you think it still wouldn't change much?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

3) Ok noted, thank you.

4) (y)

1)Dang. That's pretty much over the Hyper 212's capacity, which is about 150w. You need a new cooler, at the very least.
Whether you want to go with something like a Peerless Assassin 120 or a 280mm AIO/CLC is up to you; both have their pros and cons.

2)Looks good. (y)
3)No. While that case is negative pressure focused, that would be too much exhaust if flipped... plus, you know, the fans would be trying to blow against a wall.

Solution
Nov 5, 2022

2)Looks good. (y)
3)No. While that case is negative pressure focused, that would be too much exhaust if flipped... plus, you know, the fans would be trying to blow against a wall.

Ok sounds great, thanks for the help! I'll keep an eye on the temp and try to be light on heavier games till I can get a new cooler. Thanks again!