[SOLVED] i7 11700k Cinebench results are lower then before by ~700 pts

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
After fresh install of windows cinebench r23 multithread scored 14500-14800pts. After 6 months of use and updated windows and new apps, results were dropper to 13990-14100pts.
I tried to run into safe mode and that was worse, 11900pts.
I tried to set priority in talk manager to high and pts was like before.

Note: updated bios and background apps are inactive [cpu was like 0.5% active before bench].

My question is, why I need to set high priority to get normal cpu score on cinebench r23?

Solution
@vladakv
I have recently been investigating this loss of performance. It seems to be caused by the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine (Windows Defenfer).

When Cinebench is running, open up the Task Manager Details tab or better yet, use Process Explorer from Sysinternals. You will likely see MsMpEng.exe using more CPU cycles than it should be using. This problem can start or stop at any time and it might continue for hours.

This task can interfere with the performance monitoring counters inside the CPU so monitoring software might not report CPU activity correctly. Some users have noticed that HWiNFO reports a slightly reduced Effective Clock speed at full load when performance is being reduced.

ThrottleStop 9.4.7 has a...

Lutfij

Titan
Like I've stated in your previous thread, it's a good idea to parse the specs to your build. I'll copy it off your signature space in case it changes, rendering this thread moot for future readers.

CPU: i7 11700k 3.6-5GHz
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: 2x8Gb Kingston HyperX Fury ddr4 3600MHz (CL 17)
Mobo: MSI MAG Z590 Torpedo
GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RTX 3070 Ti 8Gb gddr6x
NVME: Samsung 980 Pro 500Gb PCIE 4
SSD: Kingston 240Gb, Biostar 240Gb, Gigabyte 240Gb
HDD: Seagate 2Tb, WD Blue 500Gb
PSU: Cooler Master V850 V2 850W 80+ Gold
Monitor: LG 27650F-B 144Hz FHD IPS
Case: MS Industrial Metropolis Pro

What OS are you working with? BIOS version for said motherboard? What sort of temps are you seeing when the benchmarking app is running?

Reactions: vladakv and rgd1101
@vladakv
I have recently been investigating this loss of performance. It seems to be caused by the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine (Windows Defenfer).

When Cinebench is running, open up the Task Manager Details tab or better yet, use Process Explorer from Sysinternals. You will likely see MsMpEng.exe using more CPU cycles than it should be using. This problem can start or stop at any time and it might continue for hours.

This task can interfere with the performance monitoring counters inside the CPU so monitoring software might not report CPU activity correctly. Some users have noticed that HWiNFO reports a slightly reduced Effective Clock speed at full load when performance is being reduced.

ThrottleStop 9.4.7 has a fix for this problem. Send me a message if you are interested in doing some beta testing. This version should be available next week if you want to wait.

Reactions: vladakv
Solution

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
@vladakv

ThrottleStop 9.4.7 has a fix for this problem. Send me a message if you are interested in doing some beta testing. This version should be available next week if you want to wait.
That was the problem - windows antivirus. I disabled it and on low priority got real results 14900pts on stock.
Thank you @uWebb429 👍
@Lutfij temps were fine, bios is latest and sorry I didnt wrote full specs. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS