[SOLVED] I7-11700K Showing 100% in task manager

Sep 12, 2021
Hi there,

I bought a brand new I7-11700K from the store and it is alright, but it shows some weird stuff in the task manager despite Core temp showing me something different. What can be the cause of this? also why are my temps on the desktop so high?

PC SPECS:
MSI H510M PRO
I7-11700K (stock so far)
RX 570 (OC edition)
Arctic Freezer 34 esports
and my case is an MSI Mag Forge 101M.

Here's the screenshot from task manager and core temp
View: https://imgur.com/a/u4sRuiY

I have also realized that the cpu uptime is 1 day which also isn't true.

Solution
@Pat__ If you are using a Windows power plan that disables all of the C states including C1, the Task Manager Processes tab will report 100% utilization. Check the Details tab to see what it is showing. Your CPU is spending 100% of its time in the C0 state doing nothing. Core Temp reports what the CPU is actual doing.

Most computers will have the CPU in the C0 state only when it is actively working on a task. Disabling all of the C states is not a great idea. You can use ThrottleStop if you want to see what C states your CPU is using when it is idle.

P3YYqyH.png

Go into the BIOS and see if any of the C states are enabled. Are you using the latest BIOS? Your motherboard might have a C states bug.
Hi there,

I bought a brand new I7-11700K from the store and it is alright, but it shows some weird stuff in the task manager despite Core temp showing me something different. What can be the cause of this? also why are my temps on the desktop so high?

PC SPECS:
MSI H510M PRO
I7-11700K (stock so far)
RX 570 (OC edition)
Arctic Freezer 34 esports
and my case is an MSI Mag Forge 101M.

Here's the screenshot from task manager and core temp
View: https://imgur.com/a/u4sRuiY

I have also realized that the cpu uptime is 1 day which also isn't true.
did you use high performance power plan? is this pc an upgrade or new build?

Sep 12, 2021
did you use high performance power plan?
if i'm checking the right thing it's "Ultimate Performance" in control panel, and yes. It is enabled by default. Even after setting it to Balanced (recommended) now it still shows 100% and 4.57Ghz Clock.
the temperature didn't drop from 65-70C either.

Install the power plans using powershell.

Open powershell and paste this: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c

This for balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e

Of course running in Ultimate, will peg your CPU at max available all core.

Sep 12, 2021
Hey there,

You'll prob have to look at a stronger cooler. Whilst the one you have isn't bad, it's a bit light for a K version higher end Intel chip. They do run hot.

What paste did you use? The MX4 that came with the cooler?
I did use the MX4, but I also bought Bequiet DC1 just for this build, but since they gave me this paste i decided to use the one which came with the cooler. If the paste i bought is better I can easily swap it out :)

Sep 12, 2021
could you find what made the cpu run 100% on task manager or in details in task manager?
It switches randomly. Sometimes discord is using 40%, but then drops to 5. sometimes antimalware starts using 70% then immediately drops to 2%, spotify playing a song goes around between 3% and 40%. I really Don't know what's going on in there.

@Pat__ If you are using a Windows power plan that disables all of the C states including C1, the Task Manager Processes tab will report 100% utilization. Check the Details tab to see what it is showing. Your CPU is spending 100% of its time in the C0 state doing nothing. Core Temp reports what the CPU is actual doing.

Most computers will have the CPU in the C0 state only when it is actively working on a task. Disabling all of the C states is not a great idea. You can use ThrottleStop if you want to see what C states your CPU is using when it is idle.

P3YYqyH.png

Go into the BIOS and see if any of the C states are enabled. Are you using the latest BIOS? Your motherboard might have a C states bug.

Reactions: Pat__
Solution
Sep 12, 2021

P3YYqyH.png

I have not yet tried to update the BIOS but I'll do it in a minute and check on it. I've checked ThrottleStop and this is what it's telling me:

View: https://imgur.com/a/2MkjKNH

Sep 12, 2021

P3YYqyH.png

View: https://imgur.com/a/2pHMc1z

Updating the bios from version 1.10 to 1.60 seems to have done it! it actually shows normal percentage and the cpu isn't overheating anymore! also it isn't drawing 120 watts but 20 while on idle.

Thank You @uWebb429

high iq gamer

View: https://imgur.com/a/2pHMc1z

Reactions: uWebb429