[SOLVED] i7-11700K too hot

Nov 8, 2021
Hi,

I just complete my PC build with an intel Core i7 11700K, paired with Asus Tuf Gaming Z590-Plus Wifi and a Noctua NH-D15S. I ran a couple benchmarks and observe the CPU temperature. The CPU idles at about 42C, and when running Cinebench R23 and Blender (latest version) with all 6 scenes, the CPU temperature is at around 85-86C, peaking to 90C a couple times. Stress testing with AVX in Intel XTU results in a 87C peak. I start Prime95 and within seconds HWInfo showing red temperature (above 90) and throttling, I immediately shut it down. With other tests, there’s no throttling (CPU utilization is at 100%, 4.6 GHz). Temps drop down to 4x-50C as soon as the tests are over. The temps to me looks really high, even though my ambient is hot (around 30C+, room no AC, my Asus Rog Strix 3070 idles at ~42C). The motherboard VRM stays cool during the tests, however, peaking at only 62C. At first I thought I had poor thermal paste application, so I unmount the cooler and reapply the paste, but the temps are the same. I tried a game of PES2020 and the temp peaks at 78C. GPU temp ~70C.

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh, 3 fans, all intake.

Is my 11700K running too hot? Should I be concern? I’m thinking of getting another Noctua NF-A12x25 to mount at the rear for exhaust, will it help in this case?

Thank you in advance.

Solution
Yes. The case comes pre-installed with 3x120mm intake fans at the front. No exhaust fan is installed just yet. That’s why I’m asking if putting another exhaust fan at the back of the case will help with the matter.
And CPU fan is pulling air from the front, as you said.
When I checked your case, I saw that it has 4 fans 3 at the front, 1 at the back. I don't know why you don't have one at the back. I assumed that 2 were at the front, and 1 at the back. Now I see that it is not the case. Without an exhaust fan, it can cause problems. A 120 mm or 140 mm fan is not that expensive, if you install one, I think you will see the difference immediately... You will have 5 to 10 degrees Celsius drop.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Please mention the OS you're working with and the version for the OS, if you're on Windows 10. What are you ambient room air temps? Exhaust fans in said case?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Is my 11700K running too hot? Should I be concern? I’m thinking of getting another Noctua NF-A12x25 to mount at the rear for exhaust, will it help in this case?
1)No, it's running as expected based on the information provided.
2)No. FYI: don't use Prime95 under motherboard auto Vcore settings; it'll always burn up if you do. Also, P95 settings matter - you shouldn't have left them out.
3)No, putting a 120mm fan right behind a 140mm one might even make it worse.

Nov 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Please mention the OS you're working with and the version for the OS, if you're on Windows 10. What are you ambient room air temps? Exhaust fans in said case?
Hi, Asus Bios ver 0820, Windows 10 21H1. Ambient temp around 30C. No exhaust case fan yet. The case comes pre-installed with 3x120mm intake fans at the front.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2021
All intake? Are you sure? The fan at the back should be exhaust. And CPU fans both should be intake (pull the air from the front)
Yes. The case comes pre-installed with 3x120mm intake fans at the front. No exhaust fan is installed just yet. That’s why I’m asking if putting another exhaust fan at the back of the case will help with the matter.

Nov 8, 2021
1)No, it's running as expected based on the information provided.
2)No. FYI: don't use Prime95 under motherboard auto Vcore settings; it'll always burn up if you do. Also, P95 settings matter - you shouldn't have left them out.
3)No, putting a 120mm fan right behind a 140mm one might even make it worse.
So should I mount the exhaust fan at the top of the case instead?

temps of in the 80's for an 11700K are not too hot for those workloads, especially if an AVX workload...

Prime 95/ blended (default) might run a few degrees warmer, but, if you leave AVX/AVX2 enabled and run small FFTs, it is accepted as essentially a 110% overload stress test, and, heating up to 95-100C may very well occur.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
When I checked your case, I saw that it has 4 fans 3 at the front, 1 at the back. I don't know why you don't have one at the back. I assumed that 2 were at the front, and 1 at the back. Now I see that it is not the case. Without an exhaust fan, it can cause problems. A 120 mm or 140 mm fan is not that expensive, if you install one, I think you will see the difference immediately... You will have 5 to 10 degrees Celsius drop.

Solution
Nov 8, 2021
I
I believe you’re looking at the TD500 (no mesh) version of the case. That case has an acrylic front panel, and comes with 4 fans. The TD500 mesh only comes with 3. I will try to add an exhaust fan to see if that helps.