[SOLVED] i7 11700k Voltage

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hello, i would like to ask if 1.465v is dangerous for CPU or not. (This is idle voltage). In load it drops to 1.439v ( got ASUS, LLC 4)

My full specs are:
Intel Core i7 11700KF (delided, applied CLU)
4x 32 GB Corsair Vengeance
2x M.2 SSD NVMe
1000w Seasonic Focus (about 6-8 months old only)
ASUS Z590-P (with Latest BIOS 1801)
Inno3D RTX 4070 Ti
Cooling CPU : Alphacool Eisbaer 360 AIO.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Solution
So, if you are never exceeding 1.5v under ANY conditions, and you are never exceeding 85°C under any conditions, then I'd say you are fine. Certainly within spec. I'd like to see a lower idle voltage too, but I'm being honest when I say that given your configuration I'm not sure how to get you there or if it's even necessary. It might also be that you are looking at the wrong voltage. You might be looking at the VID which is NOT the actual core voltage.

VCore is the actual voltage your CPU is using, VID is the voltage your CPU is asking for. They are NOT the same and a LOT of people see the VID and THINK that is the voltage their CPU is actually at, when in fact, it is not.
What is "safe" depends entirely on many factors. I see you've delidded, but you don't say if you are overclocking and if you are, what your configuration consists of in that overclock and HOW you are overclocking. Manual voltage, offset, automatic overclock, ?????

CLU could mean a lot of things, none of which are specificity.

"Idle" means nothing. What is "idle" on one system might not even be reasonably close on another.

Also not mentioned, but potentially important, are case model, number of case fans, location of case fans, orientation of EACH case fan, location of AIO, orientation of AIO fans, WHERE the hoses on the AIO are routed (Example, front, but hoses to bottom. Or front, but hoses to top). And yes, all of these things might be a factor.

In general, the max safe voltage for ANY 11700k, with no allowance for better binning, I would recommend NOT ever going above a sustained 1.47v and I'd avoid going above 1.46v except with the better binned parts unless you are absolutely certain in your knowledge that you have an adequate custom loop cooling your hardware. That might be just a tad reserved, but if it's a daily driver, you better be a tad reserved because the architecture isn't particularly great at sustained performance when you are overclocking and with high voltage. VT-shift and electromigration seem to be bigger concerns on this particular architecture than on some others that came before.

Bet bet, familiarize yourself VERY well with this thread.

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
What is "safe" depends entirely on many factors. I see you've delidded, ....

Sorry for lack of informations i try to reply all of them,

First safe i mean in windows IDLE temp is 1.465v (which sitting only in desktop and watching CPU-Z - AIDA 64, both shows same)
I have overclocked my CPU to 5.0GHz on all cores, using offset method, (offset -0.055), LLC 4, CPU SA 0.9500, CPU VCCIO 0.950, Memory i didn't touch. XMP Profile default (CL16-20-20-38), 3200MHz

I delided CPU for more comfortable and "faster" transfer heat from CPU, also using mentioned AIO Cooler (fans are set to be outtake on radiator). CLU means - Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra - Its on based Liquid metal and i used it between IHS and CPU itself

Everything is in Fractal Design R5. ( 2 intake fans, 1 outtake). Radioator is mounted on TOP, and tubes coming down to pump on cpu.

So do you mean 1.465 is considered as safe ( only IDLE ) in load od falls to 1.439 - 1.354, Depends on utilization of cpu.

Last edited:
Before going any further, I'd like to hear about how you "delidded" this CPU, as all the sources I've looked at in the past and again now indicate that delidding on Rocket lake is either not possible or extremely difficult and requires substantial involved effort due to the fact that TIM is not used between the die and heat spreader on this generation. Instead, they are hard soldered. So, how it is yours is delidded? Did you buy a Der8auer’s Delid Die Mate or ROCKIT Delid & Relid Tool Kit?

I would avoid any core voltage above 1.5v regardless of the OC if this is not a system meant simply for playing around with. If this is your daily driver and you want it to last, then 1.5v should be the MAX core voltage regardless of what the manual configuration actually is. At idle, it should be MUCH lower than that. Certainly not 1.465v.

What do you have some of the other configuration settings set to, like LLC for example? The bottom line really, for ANY overclock, is that you use as little voltage as you possibly can WHILE remaining stable AND remaining within the thermal envelope which for your CPU should NEVER be any higher, under any conditions, than 90°C and you should REALLY, REALLY try to keep that below 85°C while testing with a 100% non-AVX load. If you can't do that, your voltage and potentially your OC is too high for your sample.

If your LLC is set very high, then you are likely going to see very high core voltages even at idle than you would compared to same everything else with a lower LLC, at idle. Lowering LLC however MIGHT require a manual adjustment to your core voltage in order to maintain stability during high or changing loads. This is why there are no hard, fast numbers that can be plugged in for any overclock. You MUST do the testing. Thermal, stability. Basic testing using Prime95 with all AVX instruction sets disabled (Then later, if you know you use a lot of AVX programs, you can re-test with AVX enabled and if necessary a proper offset configured in the BIOS).

There is a lot of good information regarding Rocket lake architecture and overclocking on this generation available here:

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
@Darkbreeze Thank you for detailed explanation. For delid i used old Kaby Lake delider 3D printed with strong material (didnt know what exactly is it now). But it works. I just used vice and slowly pushing both sides many times, with heating in oven for 150°C for 15 minutes. I know its crazy and for normal mortal is it dangerous as hell, because of there is no TIM, but its soldere.d as you mentioned.

Glad to hear i shouln't exceed 1.5v (thats sounds crazy even for me). I am just hit the lowest voltage to being able run 5.0GHz, and its that 1.465v. LLC is set to number 4 (its a middle of ASUS profiles of LLC). Because there are 7 levels of it. Which level 7 is greatest. Voltage in idle is something what i would like to fix, but on other side isn't better static voltage than changing it from low (C1E, Intel Speedstep ON, and so on), to high isn't better?

Temperatures under non-AVX load is under 85°C, even less than 80°C while gaming, but its less more often.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really, really appreciate it. Also thanks for the link.

So, if you are never exceeding 1.5v under ANY conditions, and you are never exceeding 85°C under any conditions, then I'd say you are fine. Certainly within spec. I'd like to see a lower idle voltage too, but I'm being honest when I say that given your configuration I'm not sure how to get you there or if it's even necessary. It might also be that you are looking at the wrong voltage. You might be looking at the VID which is NOT the actual core voltage.

VCore is the actual voltage your CPU is using, VID is the voltage your CPU is asking for. They are NOT the same and a LOT of people see the VID and THINK that is the voltage their CPU is actually at, when in fact, it is not.

Solution

quadrax

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018

Thanks again. I know VID is something else (as you mentioned again, whole CPU Package voltage), but i really meant VCORE is 1.465v. Thanks again i am really glad for your answers.

Reactions: Darkbreeze